So much for school discipline

The need to rethink and redesign school discipline practices is frankly long overdue,” said Education Secretary Arne Duncan, speaking in Baltimore alongside Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

Wait...what? The Department of Justice is setting standards and regulations for school discipline?

Wait...what? The Department of Justice is setting standards and regulations for school discipline?

My understanding is that this is a Federal over-reach working to strike against zero-tolerance policies, which rubs up against the purview of the Justice Department. The only argument against this sort of over-reach would be to disolve the Department of Education.

My understanding is that this is a Federal over-reach working to strike against zero-tolerance policies, which rubs up against the purview of the Justice Department. The only argument against this sort of over-reach would be to disolve the Department of Education.

The only argument FOR this overreach is to dissolve the Department of Education. If federal "School discipline" guidelines are going to be issued, that's the department they should be coming from.

More on the subject. I wonder if there is any correlation between suspensions and bad acts?

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2014/01/09/doj-tells-schools-to-ease-up-on-discipline-especially-for-black-students/?subscriber=1

WASHINGTON - The Obama administration on Wednesday pressed the nation's schools to abandon what it called overly zealous discipline policies that send students to court instead of the principal's office. Even before the announcement, school districts around the country have been taking action to adjust the policies that disproportionately affect minority students.

Attorney General Eric Holder said problems often stem from well intentioned "zero-tolerance" policies that can inject the criminal justice system into school matters.

"A routine school disciplinary infraction should land a student in the principal's office, not in a police precinct," Holder said.

But it's about race, too, the government said in a letter accompanying the new guidelines it issued Wednesday.

"In our investigations, we have found cases where African-American students were disciplined more harshly and more frequently because of their race than similarly situated white students," the Justice Department and Education Department said in the letter to school districts. "In short, racial discrimination in school discipline is a real problem."

The guidelines are not the first administration action regarding tough-on-crime laws or policies of the 1980s and `90s that have lost support more broadly since then. Holder announced last summer that he was instructing federal prosecutors to stop charging nonviolent drug offenders with crimes that carry mandatory minimum sentences, a change affecting crack cocaine sentences that have disproportionately affected minorities. And just before Christmas, President Barack Obama commuted the sentences of eight people serving long drug sentences.

Where in our Constitution is the federal govenment granted anything to do with our schools? Get rid of the Department of Education and along with it deep six the Department of Energy.

and while we're at it, let's add the Dept of Homeland Security and the EPA to that list.

A perverse civil rights crusade

This is one war Obama believes in.

It is part of the larger ideological war traveling under the rubric of “diversity” or “multiculturalism.” We are all familiar with it. These seem to me a few of the tenets at its core: (a) outcomes must be equal among racial and ethnic groups, except when they accrue to the advantage of a racial or ethnic “minority” (including women); (b) disparate outcomes among racial and ethnic groups represent some form of institutional bias to be rectified by government action; © all cultures are equal, except for that of the United States, which is eternally guilty of racism under (a) and (b) above; (d) the expression of views disagreeing with (a) through © must be suppressed or, if it cannot be suppressed, must be stigmatized as “racist.”

Yesterday the Obama administration promulgated the latest Department of Justice/Department of Education Dear Colleague Letter on school discipline.

The policy statement explicitly applies disparate impact analysis to school discipline.

Under the policy, no teacher can send a misbehaving student to the principal without fear that her decision will be second-guessed by the federal government. Non-discriminatory treatment isn’t enough. DOJ/DoEd want to see equal results. The AP covers the story here; Paul Sperry comments here.

The Department of Education has been following this policy for three or four years now. The United States Commission on Civil Rights saw this misadventure coming down the pike. The Commission issued its School Discipline and Disparate Impact report on this topic in 2012. Commissioner Gail Heriot has been a voice of sanity on the subject. Here is an excerpt of her statement from the report:

The danger should be obvious: What if an important reason African-American students were being disciplined more often than white or Asian students is that more African-American students were misbehaving? And what if the cost of failing to discipline those students primarily falls on their fellow African-American students who are trying to learn amid classroom disorder? Will unleashing the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights and its army of lawyers cause those schools to eliminate only that portion of the discipline gap (if any) that was the result of race discrimination? Or will schools react more heavy-handedly by tolerating more classroom disorder, thus making it more difficult for students who share the classroom with unruly students to learn?

There are two sides to the “disparate impact” coin. Secretary Duncan focuses only upon the fact that, as a group, African-American students are suspended and expelled more often than other students. By failing to consider the other side of the coin—that African-American students may be disproportionately victimized by disorderly classrooms—his policy could easily end up doing more harm than good to the very group he is attempting to help

More at the link:

http://www.powerline...hts-crusade.php

The way I read the article in question, it seemd as though Duncan took the lead, and Holder followed. Though I think we're quibbling here. Most likely it was a collaborative effort.

Seemed the other way around to me.

And either way, DoJ has no business being involved in school discipline. I find the idea that the leader of "the primary federal criminal investigation and enforcement agency" with a mission "To enforce the law and defend the interests of the United States according to the law; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans" should be concerning his department with issues that "however well intentioned they might be, make students feel unwelcome in their own schools; they disrupt the learning process" to be downright obscene.

they shouldn't do away with suspension as means of punishing students, but they could apply it a bit more wisely than they do. for example, I was suspended twice during my junior year, each time for skipping school. so, for not showing up at school, they gave me three days off that I didn't have to account for. twice. :)