The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

That's why we didn't just find a definitive cure Hepatits C or anything.... that good 'ol corporate greed.

Please post a link or explain how you know this.

I actually think a cure for cancer would be a bad thing. We'll need something new to cull the herd if there is a cure. I'm thinking getting rid of the stupid people.

We could start by making sure gator keeps his IUD in.

MICHAEL WALSH: The Coming GOP Electoral ‘Health Care’ Disaster..

“Republicans, in other words, have made the soon-to-be-fatal error of thinking that the American public put them in charge of 3/3 of 100 percent of the federal government because the voters like them.

Not so: the voters properly despise them. . . .If the GOP succeeds in saddling Americans with Paul Ryan’s supererogatory ‘health care’ plan, then they’re going to get everything they deserve at the ballot box next year, especially if the media’s prolonged assault on the legitimacy of Donald Trump’s presidency continues without any meaningful pushback from the very GOP that stands to suffer in 2018.”

AMEN !

It is painfully clear, the GOP is wasting this opportunity, that's why they're called the "Stupid Party"

That's why we didn't just find a definitive cure Hepatits C or anything.... that good 'ol corporate greed.

Cure rates are 94% to 99% in people infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1. Some evidence also supports use in HCV genotype 3 and 4. It is taken daily by mouth for 8–24 weeks.
The wholesale cost in the United States is about US$91,589.40 for 12 weeks as of 2016. In Bangladesh this amount costs US$1,092.00. Some people travel to India to get access to lower cost medication.
Good find jmc ,
going to other countries for medical care is a real option
Edited by ALF

Cure rates are 94% to 99% in people infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotype 1. Some evidence also supports use in HCV genotype 3 and 4. It is taken daily by mouth for 824 weeks.

The wholesale cost in the United States is about US$91,589.40 for 12 weeks as of 2016. In Bangladesh this amount costs US$1,092.00. Some people travel to India to get access to lower cost medication.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir

Good find jmc ,

going to other countries for medical care is a real option

You can take an all inclusive trip to Europe for that price.

I actually think a cure for cancer would be a bad thing. We'll need something new to cull the herd if there is a cure. I'm thinking getting rid of the stupid people.

that's a hot take!

until your wife gets cancer

Why?

Because other government's refuse the sale of the drugs if they are over fixed prices, which limits profits and shoves the majority of the R&D costs onto the American consumer. Not to mention the FDA has stricter regulations than most European nations, which means they get our new drugs earlier AND cheaper.

Just doesn't seem fair.

Because other government's refuse the sale of the drugs if they are over fixed prices, which limits profits and shoves the majority of the R&D costs onto the American consumer. Not to mention the FDA has stricter regulations than most European nations, which means they get our new drugs earlier AND cheaper.

Just doesn't seem fair.

So how is this "good 'ol corporate greed"?

Drug manufacturers in the U.S. set their own prices, and that’s not the norm elsewhere in the world.

Countries with national health programs have government entities that either negotiate drug prices or decide not to cover drugs whose prices they deem excessive. No similar negotiating happens in the U.S.

good article explaining drug prices

Drug manufacturers in the U.S. set their own prices, and that’s not the norm elsewhere in the world.
Countries with national health programs have government entities that either negotiate drug prices or decide not to cover drugs whose prices they deem excessive. No similar negotiating happens in the U.S.
good article explaining drug prices

1. We allow “government-protected monopolies” for certain drugs, preventing generics from coming to market to reduce prices.

In an effort to promote innovation, the U.S. has a patent system that allows drug manufacturers to remain the sole manufacturer of drugs they’ve patented for 20 years or more. The FDA also gives drug manufacturers exclusivity for certain products, including those that treat people with rare diseases.

But sometimes, drug companies deploy questionable strategies to maintain their monopolies, the study says. The tactics vary, but they include slightly tweaking the nontherapeutic parts of drugs, such as pill coatings, to game the patent system and paying large “pay for delay” settlements to generics manufacturers who sue them over these patents.

And this is a serious problem, the study concludes, because drug prices decline to 55% of their original brand name cost once there are two generics on the market and to 33% of original cost with five generics.

A point that I've been making for years

A point that I've been making for years

How long should the patent monopoly last, do you think? They deserve something for all the R&D.

And people love to talk about the patent games to extend the patent term, but that's simply not possible. The term of a patent is 20 years. (Pharma terms may get extended some due to FDA approval process but that's a very specific issue.)

One of health care's biggest problems in cost is the care spent at the end of life.

If people were more accepting of death, their lives would have more quality and we'd spend a whole lot less on health care.

This. I told my friends and family that should alzheimers befall me, I'm taking out a raft of credit cards, going to vegas, using them all on cocaine and hookers, and will take a leap off a building when the money runs out. No way i wanna be kept alive in a condition like my grandparents were. =/

How long should the patent monopoly last, do you think? They deserve something for all the R&D.

And people love to talk about the patent games to extend the patent term, but that's simply not possible. The term of a patent is 20 years. (Pharma terms may get extended some due to FDA approval process but that's a very specific issue.)

There are two points that I've made that this portion of the article pointed as well

A) The length of the patent

B) And the "pay for delay" collusion between Big Pharma and some of the generic makers.

The answer to your question is something that I cannot provide with any specifics simply because I don't have the data and time to do it. However, the limited research I did do shows that the AVERAGE profit margins for Pharma is so great that if the time was reduced by a few years A) they'd still be very profitable and B) It would reduce costs for everyone else.

21%

This is the 2015 profit margin that Forbes estimated for the healthcare technology industry, making it by far the most profitable industry of all, with major and generic pharmaceutical companies leading the way. The company really setting the pace is Gilead Sciences(NASDAQ:GILD), which has a profit margin of nearly 53% over the last 12 months.

To the "pay for delay" tactics by Big pharma and some of the generic makers, I find this to be corrupt. Essentially a generic maker is paid off by the Pharmaceutical company to not release their generic product.

One of the FTC’s top priorities in recent years has been to oppose a costly legal tactic that more and more branded drug manufacturers have been using to stifle competition from lower-cost generic medicines. These drug makers have been able to sidestep competition by offering patent settlements that pay generic companies not to bring lower-cost alternatives to market. These “pay-for-delay” patent settlements effectively block all other generic drug competition for a growing number of branded drugs. According to an FTC study, these anticompetitive deals cost consumers and taxpayers $3.5 billion in higher drug costs every year. Since 2001, the FTC has filed a number of lawsuits to stop these deals, and it supports legislation to end such “pay-for-delay” settlements.

Edited by Magox