The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

ANDREW KLAVAN: Eat The Crap Sandwich.

When it comes to Senator Ted Cruz, I am — as we say out here in Hollywood — a fan. Pristine conservative principles, vicious political instincts, sky-high intelligence, and an endearing lack of awareness that most voters don't understand the big words he uses: what's not to like?

I voted for Cruz in the presidential primaries, but even then I did not admire him as much as I do now; as much as I have since the election of Donald Trump.

Candidate Trump behaved despicably toward his rival Cruz, insulting his wife, dropping scurrilous innuendoes about his father, and slinging bullying schoolyard taunts at the man himself. It was so ugly, even I had a hard time moving past it, and I don't know any of these people.

But Cruz — whatever his personal feelings — has shrugged the campaign off with studly panache and gotten back to the only political business that matters: keeping America strong and free. He supports the president's policies whenever he can, refuses to be drawn into attacks against him, and seems to have been working behind the scenes to unite disparate sectors of the party to move the Trump agenda forward. Give the man a flag pin; he's earned it.

Cruz has said he won't support the Senate health care bill as it stands, though he's open to negotiation. He says he believes he can "get to yes." I hope he does. I hope all the GOP senators do.

Like the House bill, the Senate bill is an Obamacare Lite crap sandwich and we conservatives should eat it.

I know. For seven years, Republicans have been promising to repeal and replace Obamacare. Some of you may have taken that to mean they were going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something else. Silly you. It is extremely difficult and politically dangerous to take a fisc- and freedom-destroying entitlement away once it has been bestowed. It is virtually impossible to do it when the president isn't behind the effort.

Trump isn't. He never was. Deep down, Trump supports government health care. He thinks it's nice. He thinks it has "heart." The idea that a free-market health system might work better and help people more has never captured his imagination. Even if the GOP had the guts to try it — ha ha — he wouldn't back it. So it's not gonna happen.

So, conservatives, you've been lied to. You've been screwed. Your intelligence has been insulted. Here's why I think you should shrug it off and move on.

The president, a Democrat for most of his life, has shown himself to have far more conservative instincts than we could ever have hoped.

His judicial appointments have been wonderful.

His foreign policy seems a bit improvised but is so far eminently sane.

His regulatory rollback has been terrific.

And his ongoing destruction of the credibility and power of our corrupt and divisive leftist news media has been a joy to behold.

With the health care bill behind us, congress can move on to what could be the defining accomplishment of the Trump presidency: tax reform.

Tax reform — even just tax cuts — could make our economy take off. Experts say we can't achieve three percent growth. I believe they're wrong. I believe we can do even better. If we do, there is no end to what Republicans will be able to accomplish down the road because they will be in the majority for years to come.

For myriad reasons, I don't believe we will get there if we don't get past this. There are some good things in the health care bill — reform of Medicaid among them — and maybe Tom Price can stoke the free market with some fresh regs freeing up the sale of health insurance. I see no path to a greater conservative victory on this and there are greater and more conservative victories in view beyond this defeat.

This is not abandoning core principles. It is accepting a bitter loss in the battle for those principles and moving on to a more promising field of fight. Senator Cruz has done it before. He should do it again. So should we.

Ted Cruz. The guy who "stood up to his principles" and said vote your conscience at the RNC convention after Trump attacked him brutally through the National Enquirer (with Roger Stone as the intermediary). A month later Cruz is doing phone-banking saying vote for Trump because his donors threaten to not finance his '18 Senate run. Such a principled guy.

Ted Cruz. The guy who "stood up to his principles" and said vote your conscience at the RNC convention after Trump attacked him brutally through the National Enquirer (with Roger Stone as the intermediary). A month later Cruz is doing phone-banking saying vote for Trump because his donors threaten to not finance his '18 Senate run. Such a principled guy.

Show me a politician whose principles aren't $$$$.

And here's a preemptive response for whatever jackass is going to say Hillary Clinton: :lol:

It's never going to be "fair." People that are poor are never going to be able to afford many of the health care costs. Is it "fair" that a disabled person gets funding--that they can never repay--that enables them to leave their homes? The sick no matter their income level will "unfairly" benefit from government help on healthcare. The healthy get screwed in paying for something they don't use. You argument is basically the main point turned on its head. Yes, the poor need government help with health care, and you argue that since they can't afford it that its unfair that resources go to them. So, it's fair that they do without?

And since both bills massively cut funding, there is no way the subsides will make up for the loss of medicaid, imo. Though I see people are arguing that somehow they will. Older and sicker people will pay more

Washington is one of those funny places where a decrease in growth is considered a cut. Under the GOP's Senate plan, Medicaid will still remain for the majority of people who are receiving it today, the difference is that the threshold for qualifying for Medicaid will slightly change and those people will be on the richer end of the subsidy scale.

And no, you completely distorted my argument. I'm not saying Medicaid should completely be done away with, just that there should be an adjustment in benefits. That the benefits shouldn't be a gold plated policy at $0 cost. If you are going to misrepresent my position then don't bother responding.

Show me a politician whose principles aren't $$$$.

And here's a preemptive response for whatever jackass is going to say Hillary Clinton: :lol:

I know. That particular case was just funny to me after he called Trump a pathological liar and a coward.

I knew that I should have cut the 1st part of that article :doh:

ANY comment on what the article is about ???

Well, if the health care bill goes through as is it's going to be a huge win for Democrats for the next decade as they'll have something substantial to run on while the bill barely qualifies as Obamacare lite. Trump keeps harping how great the economy is under him so why do they even need tax reform? The only substantial thing Trump will do for Republicans is get a Supreme Court that will side more with conservative principles.

ANDREW KLAVAN: Eat The Crap Sandwich.

When it comes to Senator Ted Cruz, I am — as we say out here in Hollywood — a fan. Pristine conservative principles, vicious political instincts, sky-high intelligence, and an endearing lack of awareness that most voters don't understand the big words he uses: what's not to like?

I voted for Cruz in the presidential primaries, but even then I did not admire him as much as I do now; as much as I have since the election of Donald Trump.

Candidate Trump behaved despicably toward his rival Cruz, insulting his wife, dropping scurrilous innuendoes about his father, and slinging bullying schoolyard taunts at the man himself. It was so ugly, even I had a hard time moving past it, and I don't know any of these people.

But Cruz — whatever his personal feelings — has shrugged the campaign off with studly panache and gotten back to the only political business that matters: keeping America strong and free. He supports the president's policies whenever he can, refuses to be drawn into attacks against him, and seems to have been working behind the scenes to unite disparate sectors of the party to move the Trump agenda forward. Give the man a flag pin; he's earned it.

Cruz has said he won't support the Senate health care bill as it stands, though he's open to negotiation. He says he believes he can "get to yes." I hope he does. I hope all the GOP senators do.

Like the House bill, the Senate bill is an Obamacare Lite crap sandwich and we conservatives should eat it.

I know. For seven years, Republicans have been promising to repeal and replace Obamacare. Some of you may have taken that to mean they were going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something else. Silly you. It is extremely difficult and politically dangerous to take a fisc- and freedom-destroying entitlement away once it has been bestowed. It is virtually impossible to do it when the president isn't behind the effort.

Trump isn't. He never was. Deep down, Trump supports government health care. He thinks it's nice. He thinks it has "heart." The idea that a free-market health system might work better and help people more has never captured his imagination. Even if the GOP had the guts to try it — ha ha — he wouldn't back it. So it's not gonna happen.

So, conservatives, you've been lied to. You've been screwed. Your intelligence has been insulted. Here's why I think you should shrug it off and move on.

The president, a Democrat for most of his life, has shown himself to have far more conservative instincts than we could ever have hoped.

His judicial appointments have been wonderful.

His foreign policy seems a bit improvised but is so far eminently sane.

His regulatory rollback has been terrific.

And his ongoing destruction of the credibility and power of our corrupt and divisive leftist news media has been a joy to behold.

With the health care bill behind us, congress can move on to what could be the defining accomplishment of the Trump presidency: tax reform.

Tax reform — even just tax cuts — could make our economy take off. Experts say we can't achieve three percent growth. I believe they're wrong. I believe we can do even better. If we do, there is no end to what Republicans will be able to accomplish down the road because they will be in the majority for years to come.

For myriad reasons, I don't believe we will get there if we don't get past this. There are some good things in the health care bill — reform of Medicaid among them — and maybe Tom Price can stoke the free market with some fresh regs freeing up the sale of health insurance. I see no path to a greater conservative victory on this and there are greater and more conservative victories in view beyond this defeat.

This is not abandoning core principles. It is accepting a bitter loss in the battle for those principles and moving on to a more promising field of fight. Senator Cruz has done it before. He should do it again. So should we.

In other words this is yet another dope who has fallen for Cruz's schtick

I knew that I should have cut the 1st part of that article :doh:

ANY comment on what the article is about ???

That's a bit hard to do considering that virtually everything that calculating Ted Cruz does is a facade.

Edited by Magox

1) Washington is one of those funny places where a decrease in growth is considered a cut.

2) Under the GOP's Senate plan, Medicaid will still remain for the majority of people who are receiving it today, the difference is that the threshold for qualifying for Medicaid will slightly change and those people will be on the richer end of the subsidy scale.

3) And no, you completely distorted my argument. I'm not saying Medicaid should completely be done away with, just that there should be an adjustment in benefits. That the benefits shouldn't be a gold plated policy at $0 cost. If you are going to misrepresent my position then don't bother responding.

1) that's because not adjusting for inflation makes it an actual cut.

2) impossible. You can't cut a program by hundreds of billions of dollars and keep it for everyone

3) Did not mean to and don't think I did. You said it was not fair, I simply responded that of course it isn't because the poor can't afford much. Trump and Obama agree, this is a mean plan

Heller, the most vulnerable GOP senator up for reelection next year, raised doubt about whether he would support any phaseout of the federal funds for Medicaid expansion, even over a longer timeline, as some other moderate GOP senators favor.****

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/339206-fifth-gop-senator-announces-opposition-to-obamacare-repeal-bill

Heller, the most vulnerable GOP senator up for reelection next year, raised doubt about whether he would support any phaseout of the federal funds for Medicaid expansion, even over a longer timeline, as some other moderate GOP senators favor.****

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/339206-fifth-gop-senator-announces-opposition-to-obamacare-repeal-bill

you're like b-man, except not as good. more like an f or d student but you try hard so i'll give you a c

you're now known as c-man

something you're faamiliar with. its around your lips

People do go to Mexico for care.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/07/healthcare-mexico-obamacare/8517917/

When Whitey Bulger was on the run he was always going over the boarder to get health care until he found out they were looking for him at the crossing.

:lol: The ACA worked so well that people have to go to Mexico to get affordable care.

That link proves EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID IN THIS THREAD IS bull ****. You are absolutely !@#$ing amazing.

A look at the new healthcare bill so far

The House’s bill, among its many reforms, would unwind Obamacare’s expansion of Medicaid, health insurance for the poor. That expansion has given health insurance to 12m Americans. Surely moderate Senate Republicans could not tolerate a reversal?
Yet the Senate bill, the Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA), revealed on June 22nd after a secretive drafting process (see leader), merely delays the start of the Medicaid cuts by an additional two years, to 2021. In fact, the cuts to the programme would end up being deeper than under the House plan.
The poorest buyers would pay no more than 2% of their income for insurance. As a result, those who lost Medicaid coverage would probably still be able to buy insurance.
That insurance, though, could be skimpy indeed. Obamacare provides enough of a subsidy to buy a “silver” plan, which pays 70% of enrollees’ medical bills on average
The BCRA would only cough up enough for a “bronze” plans, paying on average 58% of expenses. In other words, the poor would face higher out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles. Obamacare gives them help with such costs, but the BCRA eventually abolishes that assistance.
As a result, the insurance within reach of the poor would be useful only if catastrophe struck. From day to day, they would find themselves paying a lot more for predictable expenses such as trips to the doctor or prescriptions. They might forego such care to save money.
The last time I looked at the NY marketplace the least expensive bronze plan was $340 a month with a $7,500 deductible before that insurance kicks in. That's $4,080 a year plus $7,500 deductible if I understand right.
That's for one person, family coverage must be enormous.
Edited by ALF

Interesting factoid on cnn

Medicaid covers:

49% of all births

60% of all children with disabilities

64% of all nursing home residents

from Kaiser family foundation

This right here is the REAL problem.

Bingo

Some people point to Medicaid's enrollment numbers as a success

Others recognize it as the problem

you're like b-man, except not as good. more like an f or d student but you try hard so i'll give you a c

you're now known as c-man

something you're faamiliar with. its around your lips

Nope, I don't post opinion articles. B-Man does all the time.

:lol: The ACA worked so well that people have to go to Mexico to get affordable care.

That link proves EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID IN THIS THREAD IS bull ****. You are absolutely !@#$ing amazing.

Tom, don't post while drinking. Makes you even more stupid than normal.

A look at the new healthcare bill so far

The House’s bill, among its many reforms, would unwind Obamacare’s expansion of Medicaid, health insurance for the poor. That expansion has given health insurance to 12m Americans. Surely moderate Senate Republicans could not tolerate a reversal?
Yet the Senate bill, the Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA), revealed on June 22nd after a secretive drafting process (see leader), merely delays the start of the Medicaid cuts by an additional two years, to 2021. In fact, the cuts to the programme would end up being deeper than under the House plan.
The poorest buyers would pay no more than 2% of their income for insurance. As a result, those who lost Medicaid coverage would probably still be able to buy insurance.
That insurance, though, could be skimpy indeed. Obamacare provides enough of a subsidy to buy a “silver” plan, which pays 70% of enrollees’ medical bills on average
The BCRA would only cough up enough for a “bronze” plans, paying on average 58% of expenses. In other words, the poor would face higher out-of-pocket expenses, such as deductibles. Obamacare gives them help with such costs, but the BCRA eventually abolishes that assistance.
As a result, the insurance within reach of the poor would be useful only if catastrophe struck. From day to day, they would find themselves paying a lot more for predictable expenses such as trips to the doctor or prescriptions. They might forego such care to save money.
The last time I looked at the NY marketplace the least expensive bronze plan was $340 a month with a $7,500 deductible before that insurance kicks in. That's $4,080 a year plus $7,500 deductible if I understand right.

Here, check it out. What you're missing in your equation is the amount of coinsurance that people have to pay in addition to their high deductibles for their "cheap" insurance.

But of course, based on their income they get a tax credit - which is paid directly to the insurance company.

So Americans will be sicker and poorer with this bill. Which means less able to work, more welfare, disability, addiction and misery. But at least the wealthy get wealthier.

Senator Heller was immediately threatened with ad buys from super pacs of the super wealthy when he came out against the bill. The oligarchs vs the people. Fox News isn't even really talking about the bill, instead they are yelling about how a Christian was insulted somewhere by a transgender illegal immigrant professor at a....gasp!...University safe space or something.

Bingo

Some people point to Medicaid's enrollment numbers as a success

Others recognize it as the problem

the BIRTHS are the problem

we should be doing everything in our power to keep the poor from breeding. children breed poverty.