[closed]Bobby April retained!!!

Took Raiders from 31st in special teams in 2012 to 31st in 2013!!!

While in Philadelphia his units went from 12 to 17 to 23...

So now we have a dilemma... He is either not a great coach or the coach doesn't matter as much as 95% of the Crossman retained posters would lead you to believe... A true quandary...

Hope this doesn't get closed because I really would like to see how this line of thought plays out...

As I posted, special teams is about the players not the coach. Few agree.

So now we have a dilemma... He is either not a great coach or the coach doesn't matter as much as 95% of the Crossman retained posters would lead you to believe... A true quandary...

Hope this doesn't get closed because I really would like to see how this line of thought plays out...

Like everything else in football, it's a combination, not one or the other. Let's just hope continuity with Crossman will yield better results next season and beyond.

Are there crossman defenders?

So now we're supposed to be taking lessons from the Raiders as examples of great management? Your argument (such as it is) fails right there, much as any argument to retain Crossman is bound to fail based on the voluminous evidence....

So now we're supposed to be taking lessons from the Raiders as examples of great management? Your argument (such as it is) fails right there, much as any argument to retain Crossman is bound to fail based on the voluminous evidence....

I think the OP was arguing that Bobby April is considered to be a very good ST coach who has had good success in the league (including his stint in Buffalo), but his recent teams were not very good. So the conclusion is that either April suddenly got a lot worse as a coach (unlikely) or that the players that he had to work with matter more than many wish to acknowledge.

BTW, I think the OP has made a good point.

Are there crossman defenders?

I don't know if they are necessarily Crossman defenders but I think a lot of folks, myself included, don't think it's always just the coach. Buffalo's special teams were fine at the beginning of the year. Yes they dropped off and gave up some key plays but is that necessarily the coaches fault? A coaches job is to put players in a position to succeed then it's up to them to make the plays.

Bruce Dehaven was widely regarded as a great special teams coach until a certain game against the Titans. What that his fault, probably not but the "fire the coach" mantra gets repeated all to easily.

What wins championships is great players and stability.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse