Who's Zoomin' Who?

In the words of that immortal 20th Century philosopher, Aretha Franklin, just Who is Zoomin' Who in the Iraqi debacle? We can't even identify a friend from a foe (much less a date from a nut), but we seem to just keep on keeping' on.

Is there any chance that at some point the US government will learn that we just can't take broad stroke actions in regions of the world where we have not a single clue as to historical relationships, tribal alliances or warlord objectives?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/07/opinion/iraq-anbar-crisis-lister/index.html?eref=edition

Oh, by the way, prepare now to vote every elected government official out of office this November.

Is there any chance that at some point the US government will learn that we just can't take broad stroke actions in regions of the world where we have not a single clue as to historical relationships, tribal alliances or warlord objectives?

No.

Frankly, the Bush II administration probably came closest to that realization...which was akin to being the tallest midget in the Lollipop Guild.

Same old problem:

1. Liberals want a small military...but they want to send all over the world to solve all sorts of problems, without the men/equipment to do so(See: Somalia). The worst case of this was Viet Nam, when we started losing people, and decided that adding more guys, slowly, was the way to solve it...and doing nothing about the corrupt regime in charge of the South, because.....I don't know why.

2. Conservatives(Rand Paul types now) want a huge military, that we never send anywhere. They think this causes "deterrence". Whom exactly is deterred by something you never use? Thus, we ignore all of the problems, until they get really big, and then we prepare to send in everybody, but, whatever the problem was, it's over now, and not usually to our benefit. There is no case for this, as we never send anybody anywhere, unless you count Grenada.

In both cases, you have irrationality, and a terrible misuse of our people and treasure.

We need to come to our senses as a nation, and, either start charging the rest of the world for the peace WE provide, or, simply protect our stuff, and let everybody else deal with their own problems.

I am quite tired of being lectured to by ingrates, whose very freedom of speech that allows them to lecture us, is paid for by my tax dollars.

Yes, yes, I know all about markets, and whether markets will be protected. Ok, then, let's have the people whose markets we protect...kick in for the security guards who protect them. You pay a mall cop, don't you? Why is this any different?

The simple fact is: we are getting ripped off, all over the world, by people who aren't paying their fair share for their security, AND, we are then criticized for being a "militarist" state? WTF?

F all of them.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Same old problem:

We need to come to our senses as a nation, and, either start charging the rest of the world for the peace WE provide, or, simply protect our stuff, and let everybody else deal with their own problems.

I am quite tired of being lectured to by ingrates, whose very freedom of speech that allows them to lecture us, is paid for by my tax dollars.

I've always thought this. I still think we have to help protect our friends if necessary. Except for Israel, we have no friends in the middle east it's pretty much "F al of them." as you put it. I still think we need a real good military. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Edited by Dante

I've always thought this. I still think we have to help protect our friends if necessary. Except for Israel, we have no friends in the middle east it's pretty much "F al of them." as you put it. I still think we need a real good military. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Anything would be better than this administration's policy of "speak desperately and carry a whiffle bat."