An alternative to the Bills in Toronto series

I admit I haven't read all the threads and posts about this series but I had an epiphany while getting pizza for lunch just now. How about instead of bringing the Bills to Toronto to try to make new Bills fans, they find a way to bring Toronto to the Bills? They did this before with Cleveland while the Browns were "away" - arranged transportation etc. for "Cleveland Day". So they put together packages to get rich Canadian people down to Buffalo. The environment at RWS is SO much better, and the Bills obviously play better there too. It's a no-lose scenario! They'd actually be showing people what they're trying to sell them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I haven't read all the threads and posts about this series but I had an epiphany while getting pizza for lunch just now. How about instead of bringing the Bills to Toronto to try to make new Bills fans, they find a way to bring Toronto to the Bills? They did this before with Cleveland while the Browns were "away" - arranged transportation etc. for "Cleveland Day". So they put together packages to get rich Canadian people down to Buffalo. The environment at RWS is SO much better, and the Bills obviously play better there too. It's a no-lose scenario! They'd actually be showing people what they're trying to sell them.

Sort of like how they did Canada Day for years and years before they moved the Canada Day game to Canada?

Joke all you like, but regionalization is essential if there's going to even BE a Buffalo Bills under the next owner.

You can regionalize the team without giving away home field advantage. If russ Brandon was such a marketing genius(he's not), then he could figure out a better way to bring people to the games. maybe he should... I don't know..... try to put a better product on the field, then maybe sell some luxury boxes to toronto based businesses, or HEY! I know! Sell the stadium naming rights like every other frickin franchise, which generates more money than what they're being paid to give away home games.

the reality of this abomination was to test toronto's viability of supporting the NFL so that when Ralph passes it would be easier to move the team there. that's the bottom line.

Was this year. And I maintain it cost them two games.

I have also posted that very thing... I contested that they folpped the next week because of that stupid game.

Yeh, maybe we can use that jet-boat to bring fans from Toronto for "Canada Day."

I really will never believe this series is truly about regionalizing the Bills for either side. At least as a primary function. I believe that it is/was seen as a good revenue stream for Mr. Wilson, and a dress rehearsal/foot in the door for Rogers to one day own the team and move them to Toronto.

The Bills' regionalization will and does lie Hamilton and south IMO and they have done a good job drawing fans from there (independent of the series). I believe this in large part is a result of the Canadian dollar, the surge in Canadian to US shopping, and the great pregame and game atmosphere at the stadium.

Now if they can mine Toronto for businesses, especially those with US operations, and provide packages to get them to games down here, that would be wise. Toronto citizens though will not root for a Buffalo team in droves though IMO. In fact, if this series continues, because it received some press, it will become more of "a thing" to show up in the opposing team's garb and cheer loudly against the Bills.

Not as essential as winning, which the Bills have proven they can't do there.

Since you choose to make the sweeping general statement that we can't win there, I presume you mean that Stevie fumbled because we played north of the border. I choose to not buy into that logic, because it's clear to me that that fumble was pivotal to the outcome of that game. Any other analysis is driven by emotion rather than logic.

Since you choose to make the sweeping general statement that we can't win there, I presume you mean that Stevie fumbled because we played north of the border. I choose to not buy into that logic, because it's clear to me that that fumble was pivotal to the outcome of that game. Any other analysis is driven by emotion rather than logic.

Do you think everything that happened in that game play for play would be identical leading up to that point if played in Orchard Park?

The Bills are a decent home team.

Pretty bad on the road.

Win percentage in Toronto is .143

The Bills have better results playing at home.

When you have a franchise that deals with things like untimely fumbles, bad challenges, bad play calling, bad luck, etc, they need every advantage and every single inch they can grab onto. This season they had a .571 win percentage at home and the 3 losses had 3 playoff teams to the ropes.

In Toronto Id give them maybe a 65% chance to win that game? At home, maybe 80-85%? Im sure it would reflect change in Vegas odds as well. That difference, and the "near miss" of that game, psychologically moves everyone to the compelling conclusion that "they win this game if it was in Buffalo". So much, that Brandon himself has generally admitted the game may undermine winning.

Edited by May Day 10

i can give you 75 million reasons why they wont. It is a good idea tho. Edited by billsfan_34

You can regionalize the team without giving away home field advantage.

I agree completely, but surely Bills fans have some responsibility in this, no? Why don't more Bills fans buy those tickets and MAKE it a home game if it's so important?

Here's what I hear from Bills fans:

- win more games

- acquire high priced free agents and big name coaches

- keep ticket prices among the lowest in the league

- don't worry about expanding your market, just keep the status quo at all cost (I.e., just keep playing in my backyard)

- no, I won't go to Toronto to support my team

- the next owner BETTER keep the team here, because we're the best fans in the NFL.

I can understand the regionalization thing. I could understand more if the Toronto games were soldout with Bill fans....but they don't sell out, they don't win, players hate it, and most fans cheer for the other team!!!

So I have a hard time here believing we need Toronto to survive.

Ralph needed Toronto for a quick payday!