Crossman Retained

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so we're all on the same page, here's how Danny Crossman's Special Teams units have ranked (according to Football Outsiders) since his first year at the post, 2005:

2005 - Carolina - 5th

2006 - Carolina - 24th

2007 - Carolina - 30th

2008 - Carolina - 10th

2009 - Carolina - 29th

2010 - Detroit - 11th

2011 - Detroit - 29th

2012 - Detroit - 30th

2013 - Buffalo - 30th

It's like a complete mystery. Maybe he just needs a certain profile of player to put together a solid unit? I don't know...

It's like a complete mystery. Maybe he just needs a certain profile of player to put together a solid unit? I don't know...

More likely he's one of the people who helped Marrone along the way in his career and he feels indebted to the guy. It's a shame, because it costs us wins and it may ultimately cost Marrone his job.

That's too bad. Marrone is stubborn, we've seen it with players and now with the coaches. It's a bad, bad trait for head coaches (but common) and it's going to get Marrone fired in a year or two, I fear.

Can't agree with that--stubborn coaches don't cut their starting LG or nickel CB mid-season due to performance.

I think stubbornness doesn't fit SOME coaches well; others seem to do just fine though (i.e. Coughlin).

Just so we're all on the same page, here's how Danny Crossman's Special Teams units have ranked (according to Football Outsiders) since his first year at the post, 2005:

2005 - Carolina - 5th

2006 - Carolina - 24th

2007 - Carolina - 30th

2008 - Carolina - 10th

2009 - Carolina - 29th

2010 - Detroit - 11th

2011 - Detroit - 29th

2012 - Detroit - 30th

2013 - Buffalo - 30th

So his best year at his previous two stops was his 1st. Yikes! :unsure:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

More likely he's one of the people who helped Marrone along the way in his career and he feels indebted to the guy. It's a shame, because it costs us wins and it may ultimately cost Marrone his job.

It's possible; I'll wait and see if maybe Crossman can turn things around with a few of his "key players"

how can we hold him not having 6 marcus easleys against him.... its a third of the game, and he should clearly get a third of the roster before judging him just like every other... wait... no other special teams coach ever....

Coaches don't tackle. Players do.

I think the point most people are making. Crossman hasn't done anything to prove that he is a good coach. There is a pattern of bad special team units run by this guy. He should be accountable just like the players since he had a hand in picking them.

I think the point most people are making. Crossman hasn't done anything to prove that he is a good coach. There is a pattern of bad special team units run by this guy. He should be accountable just like the players since he had a hand in picking them.

It's a fair point; I guess I just don't fault Marrone for giving the guy a chance to right the ship. It's not like an offense or defense in which the coach brings a possibly intricate system that needs to be installed, so if Marrone has to can him after next season and bring in someone else, it won't be a major transition.

Prediction: Marrone will go down as a worse coach than any of his predecessors over the last decade-plus of futility.

This clueless jock is in way over his head.

Ummm...ok.