Tampa article - Travis Henry

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/19/Bucs/Buc...eyeing_ou.shtml

Bucs may be eyeing outcast RB Henry

By RICK STROUD, ROGER MILLS

Published January 19, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Bills running back Travis Henry wants to be traded to a team that plays in the sunshine and says the Bucs may be warming to the idea.

Henry has been told Tampa Bay is among five teams that have expressed an interest in trading for him. The others are the Dolphins, Panthers, Raiders and Cardinals.

The Bills granted permission for Henry to seek a trade and are believed to be asking for a second-round pick. But Bucs general manager Bruce Allen would not comment on the former Tennessee star.

"We can't discuss players who are under contract, but we do understand that there are players out there who have an interest in playing for us," Allen said Tuesday.

Henry, 26, rushed for 1,436 yards in 2002 and 1,356 in 2003 but lost his starting job at midseason in '04 to former University of Miami running back Willis McGahee.

The Bucs, who own the fifth overall pick in the draft, will be in a position to select one of the nation's elite running backs. It's a position of need for Tampa Bay, with 32-year-old Charlie Garner attempting to return from knee surgery and Michael Pittman leading the NFL with six lost fumbles.

But Henry has just one year left on a contract that will pay him $1.25-million next season.

TOMLIN STILL UNSIGNED: The Bucs coaching staff returned to work, including defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin, who is no longer under contract.

Tomlin would like to explore other opportunities, particularly as a defensive coordinator, but the Bucs are pushing for him to sign a contract before the staff leaves for Mobile, Ala., Sunday to coach the South squad in the Senior Bowl.

"We're still talking," Tomlin said. "I plan to keep coming to work every day until they tell me not to."

Offensive line coach Bill Muir also returned and confirmed he will be part of the Bucs staff next season.

"Listen, here's all I'm going to say, I'm a Tampa Bay Buccaneer," Muir said. "I chose to be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer. When I am no longer a Tampa Bay Buccaneer it's because the Bucs tell me to leave.

"As we walk out this parking lot today, they haven't told me to leave. I'm looking forward to 2005, I'm looking forward to training camp and trying to get this team back on track."

Neither the Bucs nor Muir will comment on his contract status. When Cowboys coach Bill Parcells fired his offensive line coach last week, it fueled a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that Muir might be headed to Dallas. That ended Monday when tight ends coach Tony Sparano was hired to replace George Warhop.

"People are calling me up and saying, "I hear you're going to Dallas,' " Muir said. "I even had a friend of mine, who had one of their friends bring a shirt and say, "Hey, can you get this signed when you get to Dallas.' I've got people saying to me, "Good luck in Dallas.' To be honest with you, the last time Bill Parcells and I had a conversation was in Indianapolis at the (scouting) combine last year. It's unfair to him, it's unfair to me because it looks like there's tampering going on."