IF Jimmy Graham Makes It To Free Agency

H2o

I have no doubt that the Saints will try everything they can within their power to resign him, but there has been talk of their salary cap woes. They simply might not be able to afford him. If the clock strikes 12 would you be Doug Whaley on the phone ready to make him the highest-paid tight and in the game?

I live in New Orleans and not to burst your bubble but there is a 0.0% chance of him hitting free agency. They will release Harper, Smith, etc... to find room. I have said it on here before but I think that it is more likely that Peyton isn't on the Broncos next year than Graham on the Saints.

If you are thinking about them tagging him and trading him the Saints won't pick up the phone before you offer 2 first round picks. I doubt that would even get it done.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I live in New Orleans and not to burst your bubble but there is a 0.0% chance of him hitting free agency. They will release Harper, Smith, etc... to find room. I have said it on here before but I think that it is more likely that Peyton isn't on the Broncos next year than Graham on the Saints.

If you are thinking about them tagging him and trading him the Saints won't pick up the phone before you offer 2 first round picks. I doubt that would even get it done.

Yup - I think most have no concept of how many wasted dollars sat on that roster last year. They could drop some big contracts with no drop off.

Will smith has a huge contract and no position in rob Ryan's defense. Further he was on IR this year so you free up the money and don't even have to replace production.

Harper and Vilma have no place. Vilma like smith hasn't played, Harper missed long stretches. Again easy cuts that save mid level starter dollars.

Grubbs will see his cap number adjusted this year

And all that can be done without harming the talent level at all. The saints knew jimmy was on the horizon and are not unprepared. They didn't sign guys like bunkley, or Lewis or Grubbs or lofton without first having a plan for graham

What would worry me is how long he can hold up with the beating he takes. I worry his body will breakdown sooner rather than later ala shockey, gronk, or any of those other insanely physical guys. There's no finesse in his game.

Edited by NoSaint

He isn't going anywhere. The Saints would cut half their team in order to keep him

He is going to be paid like a WR bc he may be the best receiver in the league and he's a TE

My guess, gronk plus a tiny bit since he was a good soldier all the way to free agency while gronk took the dollars a little early. I don't think he gets to Calvin Johnson dollars though. Otherwise generally agree.

My guess, gronk plus a tiny bit since he was a good soldier all the way to free agency while gronk took the dollars a little early. I don't think he gets to Calvin Johnson dollars though. Otherwise generally agree.

I am thinking something close to Harvin money. 5 years, $65M with $20M guaranteed.

I'm sure you said the same about Mario.

That said, he won't be available

He won't be available, and on the real off chance that he became available, there'd be a bidding war and an opportunity to go anywhere in the country.

In which case, you go to beautiful San Diego and replace Gates, somewhere where there are low taxes, or your favorite place in the world. Buffalo would have to pay him QB money to bring him here, honestly.

He won't be available, and on the real off chance that he became available, there'd be a bidding war and an opportunity to go anywhere in the country.

In which case, you go to beautiful San Diego and replace Gates, somewhere where there are low taxes, or your favorite place in the world. Buffalo would have to pay him QB money to bring him here, honestly.

I totally understand the point, was just saying we could atleast try. Many fans think players are "too good" for us to chase. That's not the case, even if it might mean we have to go further.

He would be smart and do what Hernandez did to the Patriots. Force the Saints to tag him as a hybrid WR/TE. That would raise the tag price considerably. That gives Graham more leverage to make a long term deal with the Saints but the Saints would still use the tag even if it came closer to a WR number.

the Franchise tag for Tight Ends is $6.1 mil.......they could tag him 3 years in a row.

he is going nowhere but with the Saints.

Two years is the max for the CBA

I have no doubt that the Saints will try everything they can within their power to resign him, but there has been talk of their salary cap woes. They simply might not be able to afford him. If the clock strikes 12 would you be Doug Whaley on the phone ready to make him the highest-paid tight and in the game?

I doubt Whaley makes him the highest but it would be nice to see him here.