Bills need to poop or get off the pot.

I'm going to laugh when reports surface that Manziel bombed interviews and was pathetic on the whiteboard talking X's and O's at the combine.

I'm going to laugh even harder when some desperate team drafts and he gets a rude awakening.

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manziel is an incredible college QB. His size scares me. The Russell Wilson comparison I've seen on this board many times doesn't make sense to me because Wilson doesn't play with his hair on fire like Manziel. IMO Manziel will get destroyed (physically) by NFL defenses.

Question. Would his passion/attitude go over well with veteran players? Can he scale it back? I wonder what would happen if he ran at and got in a players face like he did with Evans in the Bowl game.

I wouldn't take him at 1 or 9. If we traded back to the late first and acquired more picks, i wouldn't mind the pick. But I'm sure he'd be gone by then anyways.

The Bills are not going to use a first round pick to draft a qb. What they are going to do is use this year's draft to acquire a physically big #1 receiver. That will take a first round pick. The organization is going to use this offseason to find players who will put EJ in a better position to succeed.

I have no quarrel with your evaluations of Manziel's skill set. It is quite impressive. As you noted he sees the whole field very well. In many ways Manziel is a better prepared player for the pro game than EJ was when he came out of college. Manuel was a much more developmental qb prospect than the more ready Manziel. Just because a player isn't as ready to play right away doesn't necessarily mean that the rawer prospect in the end won't be the better player.

Buddy Nix favored a drafting philosophy that gave a great deal of emphasis to a physical profile. His drafting preference usually leaned toward the bigger and stronger player over the less physically imposing propsect. That certainly was a factor in taking Manuel.

Manziel is the most exciting and dynamic qb in this year's college game. There is a good chance that he could be taken before it gets to us. Cleveland should be very interested in him. The Bills organization is a very staid organization that usually doesn't act with a great deal of imagination. So I just don't see a Manziel selection, even if he is on the draft board when our turn comes up.

Don't mistake what I am saying about this year's qb prospects compared to EJ. I do like Manuel as a qb prospect. I just think that he is going to take a little more time to develop. The developmental time should be similar to the time (3 years) it took Nick Foles to get a grasp of the offensive. The Bills are highly invested and committed to Manuel. The next step is to add pieces to put him in a better position to be successful.

Nick Foles has been in the league 3 years? More like 1 1/2. Always next year for the Bills.

The Bills should definitely be drafting a QB in rounds 1-3. At best it's 50-50 whether he will be the answer at QB. With QB being the most important position on the field, they need to find another one to hedge their bet on Manuel.

To trade up would be foolish unless they are absolutely sure the player will be the next Manning, Brady, etc. This team has too many needs to trade additional picks to get to first overall. The overall talent level still isn't good enough too make the playoffs on its own. With another good draft and another good year in free agency, they might sneak in if one or two teams have bad years.

Either through the draft or free agency the Bills need to find another QB to compete with Manuel. If not and Manuel doesn't become at least serviceable, Marrone won't be here beyond year 4.

You have just perfectly described EJ MAnuel.

How you could have watched Manziel in his last game and not see him making all types of throws, seeing the whole field and making plays quickly and decisively?

He's quicker than EJ. He sees the field better than EJ. He throws a better ball and is far more accurate than EJ. Read any scoutng report and they will say he sees the whole field and it's obvious he can read defenses. He's also physically tough and plays hurt.

I wouldn't trade any picks to get him (this team has to many other needs on offense--they can trade up to get Mariota next year), but of course if he is there at 9, you run to the podium to get him.

....this

Manziel is an incredible college QB. His size scares me. The Russell Wilson comparison I've seen on this board many times doesn't make sense to me because Wilson doesn't play with his hair on fire like Manziel. IMO Manziel will get destroyed (physically) by NFL defenses.

Question. Would his passion/attitude go over well with veteran players? Can he scale it back? I wonder what would happen if he ran at and got in a players face like he did with Evans in the Bowl game.

I wouldn't take him at 1 or 9. If we traded back to the late first and acquired more picks, i wouldn't mind the pick. But I'm sure he'd be gone by then anyways.

Agreed. I haven't looked over the entire draft order yet, but are there alot of teams behind us in need of a QB. If not I woudl not be opposed to trading back into the first to grab him after we get whoever our QB is a competent TE or a WR in a TE body!

http://espn.go.com/n...ading-no-1-pick

Looks like getting Johnny football is doable. Yes I can hear the wailing, rendering of hair and gashing of teeth from the ultra conservative posters who call for a 5 year plan."get a guard! a WR between 6 1 and 6 2! we may go to 7-9!"

He would bring a huge sense of anticipation and excitement to the Bills and yes sell tickets.

Is a same-o-same o CB, WR, TE draft going to do that? No.

But what if it backfires? So? This is entertainment, not war. No ones going to die if he didn't work out. But it sure would be a lot of fun in the mean time.

I would go 2 first's and 2 seconds

I am glad you are not running the team

There is ZERO chance the Bills take a QB at 9 or trade up to take one especially Manzeil who won't do jack in the NFL

No ones going to die if it doesn't work out...just ridiculous logic and justification for wanting to give up 4 high picks. Ask the Redskins if that was no big deal

Edited by Max997

All kidding aside, wouldn't it be nice if the Bills figured this QB thing out? I am so sick of the discussions. Todd Collins. JP. Trent. Fitz. EJ. Good QBs are out there. Freakin' find one already.

RG3 is not a bust...

There is an interesting article analyzing the Redskins trade for RG3 that was apparently written by some Harvard types. I'm including the link below. There is a lot of math . But basic conclusion is that RG3 would need to have a Tom Brady-like career in order for the trade to have been worth it. That's a tall order .

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/evaluating-the-redskins-trade-for-robert-griffin-iii/

There is an interesting article analyzing the Redskins trade for RG3 that was apparently written by some Harvard types. I'm including the link below. There is a lot of math . But basic conclusion is that RG3 would need to have a Tom Brady-like career in order for the trade to have been worth it. That's a tall order .

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/evaluating-the-redskins-trade-for-robert-griffin-iii/

I was a huge fan of RG3 in college but thought the Skins gave up way too much which looking back now was even worse then it looked then

Edited by Max997

Nick Foles has been in the league 3 years? More like 1 1/2. Always next year for the Bills.

You are right he was drafted in 2012. He has been in the league two years. My point is the same that the expectation for EJ to immediately adapt to the pro game was too high of an expectation. It is still my view that it would be a mistake to draft a qb in the first round this year. With the rookie season behind him and an offseason to work on his game and hopefully a #1 receier added to the offense he should take a leap forward.

I am glad you are not running the team

There is ZERO chance the Bills take a QB at 9 or trade up to take one especially Manzeil who won't do jack in the NFL

No ones going to die if it doesn't work out...just ridiculous logic and justification for wanting to give up 4 high picks. Ask the Redskins if that was no big deal

And you have plotted out RG's career to the end?

And you have plotted out RG's career to the end?

What does plotting his career out have to do with anything? That trade killed them and they are still paying for it giving up the second pick this year.

So yeah let's have the Bills make a similar mistake and trade for a QB that is not nearly as good

This team needs to be trading down and accumulating picks not trading up giving up picks that they desperately need

Edited by Max997

What does plotting his career out have to do with anything? That trade killed them and they are still paying for it giving up the second pick this year.

So yeah let's have the Bills make a similar mistake and trade for a QB that is not nearly as good

You didn't get what I was saying. What if RG wins a SB for them in I dunno, 1215? Was it still a mistake? But you know he won't, so it's a mistake as you see it?

You didn't get what I was saying. What if RG wins a SB for them in I dunno, 1215? Was it still a mistake? But you know he won't, so it's a mistake as you see it?

Are the odds of the Skins winning the Super Bowl in 2015 better or worse now after making that trade?

And yes it was still a mistake

Edited by Max997