Bills to meet with Rogers Communications

The Bills do not benefit financially at all from the free media coverage by the Toronto press. Bills do benefit directly by the $15-$25 million that Rogers pays Buffalo Bills Inc. though.

when the % of southern ontario fans who attend games in orchard park goes from 10% (pre toronto series) to 20% this past season......you can bet all the free media coverage had something to do with it. the bills are benefiting financially from increased ticket sales at the ralph. and seeing as they struggled to sell out most home games, that is significant.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when the % of southern ontario fans who attend games in orchard park goes from 10% (pre toronto series) to 20% this past season......you can bet all the free media coverage had something to do with it. the bills are benefiting financially from increased ticket sales at the ralph. and seeing as they struggled to sell out most home games, that is significant.

The reason that number has gone up is not because of the disaster Rogers dome games, but because the Bills are actively marketing to the fans southeast of Hamilton to attend games in Orchard Park. There is very little connection between the new Canadian fans going to the dome games and having them actually cross the border for games in OP. If there is overlap in the fans attending both, it's more likely those fans would have attended the home game at the Ralph anyway.

This series does zero for a true regionalization push.

HAve you actually read the "free media coverage" of these games by the Ontario press? I have to assume you haven't.

The Toronto games have absolutely nothing to do with the Bills still being in Buffalo--simply the most ridiculous statement in this entire thread. The Bills are still here because they are still generating tens of millions of dollars for the still-alive owner of the team. He doesn't care if the games sell out--he makes money anyway--in fact, as long as more expensive ticket rivals sell out--he's very happy because he gets a good taste of that. He would be happy to get beat on the road by NE, Wash, Dallas, etc, every week!

Regionalization if it is happening, is going on despite the embarrassing Toronto games, not because of them. How could this not be more clear?

How is any new owner going to look at those games in the skydome and say--"hey, those poorly attended, sad, losing games sure make purchasing this team more attractive and, for reasons that escape logic and fact, more finacially reasonable!"

The only reason the Rogers would have paid Ralph more than 2 times for each game than what they are worth is because they are angling to bring the team to Toronto--permanently. And they're not alone--a more formidable threat is the MLSE group (and yes, Bon Jovi).

One could more easily make the argument that Ralph's Toronto money grab has done far more for the chances the team moves to Toronto than it has for the chance the Bills stay in Buffalo.

when the bills start winning and putting a better product on the field, the attendance in toronto will improve.

from the bills standpoint, that game is a sellout. it will always be on tv. the fact rogers is having difficulty "re-selling" tix is do to price and a crappy product....both will be adjusted.

anyone who thinks the dramatic increases in attendance at the ralph from rochester and toronto fans would have occured anyways without regionalization efforts is uninformed.

ralph and russ wisely planted their flag in southern ontario before someone else did. with toronto the bills are the 4th largest NFL market. that is very attractive to a new owner.

The reason that number has gone up is not because of the disaster Rogers dome games, but because the Bills are actively marketing to the fans southeast of Hamilton to attend games in Orchard Park. There is very little connection between the new Canadian fans going to the dome games and having them actually cross the border for games in OP. If there is overlap in the fans attending both, it's more likely those fans would have attended the home game at the Ralph anyway.

the devaluing of the us dollar relative to their dollar helps too.

when the bills start winning and putting a better product on the field, the attendance in toronto will improve.

from the bills standpoint, that game is a sellout. it will always be on tv. the fact rogers is having difficulty "re-selling" tix is do to price and a crappy product....both will be adjusted.

anyone who thinks the dramatic increases in attendance at the ralph from rochester and toronto fans would have occured anyways without regionalization efforts is uninformed.

ralph and russ wisely planted their flag in southern ontario before someone else did. with toronto the bills are the 4th largest NFL market. that is very attractive to a new owner.

The bolded part is the funniest. Anyway, still waiting for THAT adjustment.

Russ has soothed guys like you by claiming the TO series is the cause for increased Canadian ticket buyers at the Ralph. Well, what would you say if you were him? "These games are an embarrassment to the players, the people paying to attend them and to the organization itself, but it was just too crazy rich a deal to pass up, so Mr. Wilson and I jumped at it"??

No, he's going to defy all logic and say that this disaster is the direct cause of more tickets at home being sold! And you just have to suspend all disbelieve (well, some of us do) and believe him!

And thanks for reiterating my point that Ralph inceased the likelihood of the Bills moving north when he passes. He "planted the flag" where no one has thought to before. It's going to be very easy for the other owners/Goodell to justify the move as a good thing by saying it achieves their plan of internationalization AND, due to "regionalization", they aren't REALLY moving the Bills.

A compromise for both parties ... get the game back from them and add their name to the field(i.e. Rogers Communications Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium).

Sounds like a perfect plan to me :flirt:

How would y'all feel if the NFL stepped in and made a proposition of their own.

Keep the Toronto game, but rotate the home team. Make it the Bills one year their opponent the next. The Bills get their payday and the NFL gets to keep their second international game.

Better yet make it an away game for both. I believe they do this for London.

Edited by cklapka

Actually I think it is more because of the price of the Canadian Dollar since 9/11.

Actually I think it is more because of the price of the Canadian Dollar since 9/11.

Sure, the loonie exchange rate helped, but it's not like Canadian fans were sitting and home thinking, hey, I can now afford to go to a Bills game. Brandon started the outreach to the So. Ontario market a while ago, and generated more local interest in the Bills from people who wouldn't have considered going to the games before.

BTW, can someone point me to a website where I can get historic foreign exchange rates?

Russ has soothed guys like you by claiming the TO series is the cause for increased Canadian ticket buyers at the Ralph. Well, what would you say if you were him? "These games are an embarrassment to the players, the people paying to attend them and to the organization itself, but it was just too crazy rich a deal to pass up, so Mr. Wilson and I jumped at it"??

No, he's going to defy all logic and say that this disaster is the direct cause of more tickets at home being sold! And you just have to suspend all disbelieve (well, some of us do) and believe him!

And thanks for reiterating my point that Ralph inceased the likelihood of the Bills moving north when he passes. He "planted the flag" where no one has thought to before. It's going to be very easy for the other owners/Goodell to justify the move as a good thing by saying it achieves their plan of internationalization AND, due to "regionalization", they aren't REALLY moving the Bills.

+1

you must never enjoy a broadway show at Shea's Theatre....you know, cause it's only good on broadway in new york city. the nerve of those people bringing their product to another city in a blatant money grab. besides, the audience in nyc cheer much louder than here in buffalo, which makes it feel like a real performance.

As others have just commented and as I have said in the past, it makes no sense to conclude that the incredibly embarrassing turnout and results of the games played in TO are the direct cause of any increase in Ontario Bills fans coming to the Ralph. If anything, people witnessing those games at the Skydome or reading about them in the local press are much less likely to be interested in coming to Buffalo to see more of that.

If there are more Canadians in Buffalo for games then it is despite the TO games not because of it. Common sense dictates this to be true.

I think many fans are more interested in coming to Buffalo because the “more of that” they would see is not what they see in Toronto. It’s a night and day atmosphere.

you must never enjoy a broadway show at Shea's Theatre....you know, cause it's only good on broadway in new york city. the nerve of those people bringing their product to another city in a blatant money grab. besides, the audience in nyc cheer much louder than here in buffalo, which makes it feel like a real performance.

Probably the most bizarre and off-point analogy attempted at TSW...ever.

Toronto wants to take the team away from Buffalo. It's that simple.

Everything Rogers and the powers to be up there with this series have done was to further that goal. They could care less about making it viable in WNY. Why would that matter to businessmen in Toronto who want a team in Toronto full-time? If anything the Bills being viable in WNY hurts the possibility of a Toronto franchise.

If/when they move it will be to LA. In the eyes of the NFL this series has become an embarassment (not even 40,000 at an NFL regular season game that was touted as an international series?!) so when it comes time to broker a deal Los Angeles will get the nod over a place that has proven to be a total disappointment to the NFL.

In short: screw Toronto.

Toronto wants to take the team away from Buffalo. It's that simple.

Everything Rogers and the powers to be up there with this series have done was to further that goal. They could care less about making it viable in WNY. Why would that matter to businessmen in Toronto who want a team in Toronto full-time? If anything the Bills being viable in WNY hurts the possibility of a Toronto franchise.

If/when they move it will be to LA. In the eyes of the NFL this series has become an embarassment (not even 40,000 at an NFL regular season game that was touted as an international series?!) so when it comes time to broker a deal Los Angeles will get the nod over a place that has proven to be a total disappointment to the NFL.

In short: screw Toronto.

:beer:

CBF