Dialect Quiz

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

My wife I were looking at the results of the Harvard study on this the other day. We were arguing over "caramel"-- I pronounce it with 3 syllables, and she uses 2. We are both trying to convince our 2-year old daughter to adopt our chosen pronunciation.

Poor kids gonna be so confused. If you want to win, you're going to have to bribe her.

K. I took it and have a line across from Minny/St.Paul to Grand Rapids to Buffalo... Gee, accurate since I only ever lived in the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest region!

Two things that I reverted back to Buffalo and not the other regions I have been in (Quad Cities/Chicago):

I answered:

Frontage Road... Back in Buffalo, was there a word for that?

Median... Here in Chicago, I would call it a boulevard now.

Anyway, shocked that washroom, restroom, bathroom, etc... Was not on it. I would say washroom more since moving away. And no: beggar's night on the list for day before Halloween?

Poor kids gonna be so confused. If you want to win, you're going to have to bribe her.

We're both like, "say caramel! Say caramel!" She diplomatically alternates pronunciation.

By the way, I came out two different ways when I took the quiz twice. Once was a Pittsburgh/ San Antonio mix. The other was Baltimore/DC. Strange.

I might try it again.

I have seen this for a while. I have one messed up dialect, I can tell you that before taking it. I am taking it now, though. I say "pa-jom-a's" I'm the only one that does that I guess. I use highway, freeway, or turnpike depending on what it is. US64 is a highway. I85, highway. 285 is a free way. I90 is a turnpike.

I am mostly of a Southern dialect, which is shocking. I use WNY words all the time, Kelly says she never realized the funny words and way I say things actually still comes from WNY. I speak fast and sound out the entire word which she said is like everyone she met in Toleito. Yet, I still use mostly Southern words with Southern pronunciations. I do a lot of Yankee words and Yankee speech with Southern pronunciation, too.

It had me as Greensboro (30 min away), Columbus GA, and Savannah

NBRyApQ.png

Odd, I just noticed Detroit and Greensboro are very similar, and not just Detroit - SE Michigan which means my backyard literally.

Two words:

Route

&

Creek

Pronounce them!

:D

Thought about this a minute now, too, after the test. If I am talking to an older person, a farmer, or someone of the country or simply on the farm I'll call it a 'crick' but otherwise it is Creek. Edited by jboyst62

Two words:

Route

&

Creek

Pronounce them!

:D

So I answered this thing as I say things now...soda not pop, interstate not thruway etc, still had me Bufalo as primary. Interesting ad it Said sneakers was the big tell!

BTW, I say crick for some reason, not creek.

I say route with a ow sound