Jets have no qualms about drafting another QB...

Mr. WEO

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we sure can look down at their back to back AFC championship appearances 3 years ago, and 8-8 record this year with a godawful rookie QB.

What a gas, people actually think the Jets are more of a loser organization than us.

+1 Considering what they went also through this offseason, I am more than impressed with the season they put together. Rex can coach.

Given Manuel's injuries and problems quickly reading NFL defenses, do we really NOT take a QB in the draft? We don't have to sell our soul for one but this is the most important position in the NFL. Until we know we have a great one we need to keep trying. Got to respect the Jets for that, and if Smith can't mentally handle the challenge he probably wouldn't last in the NFL. We are doing Manuel no favors babying him and giving him the job, IMO.

Depends on how invested one is in Manuel, I guess, but I did include the smiley. Point being that being the best QB (pre-draft evaluation) in a really weak class doesn't necessarily equate to being a top-10 QB talent in the next draft.

It gets to the whole, "does one draft to build a winner or to fill holes?" argument that happens every off-season here.

I would suggest two things Bills specific. Manuel was not necessarily drafted to start. Bills had No QB so draft they did. getting the trade back was just a bonus pick so well done there.

But who really could have predicted the Kolb situation ? i mean thats just absurd how this played out.

Not only does he disappear as a mucho needed mentor but Bills were forced to do things they were by no means prepared to do.

Welcome to the NFL Nate !

I did notice the smiley S

Ask yourself this question: If EJ was entering the draft this year, would you take him over Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron, Brotles and whoever else is coming out? If your answer is yes, then relax until next September. But if your answer is no, then why wouldn't you take one of those other guys?

After all, Jim Kelly wasn't drafted in the top 10 and he wasn't all that bad. :)

Realistically, the way the game has changed in the 30+ years since Kelly was drafted, there's no way he would have lasted till the 14th pick in today's world.

After one week of camp, threads were being started here opining on the "staged" QB competition between Kolb and EJ, with EJ being the obvious starter going into the season. There was near uniform agreement event that early that he was the putative starter and "ready", compared to the rest of the roster. No one was saying--"hey, he's too raw, not ready".

With this thread, I am just pointing out how a division rival, another bad team with a shaky rookie QB, has gone in the opposite direction by announcing, essentially, their intent to open a QB competition next springand it will likely include a rookie QB.

To your first paragraph, one thing that happened in preseason was that Manuel was looking better than Kolb. That's where all that talk started.

And do you remember all the Tuel buzz after his performance against Indy?

As you know, casual fans will sway in the breeze.

Hmmmmm, his injuries were one of the key reasons people used then to tell me how out of my mind I was. Now the injuries are the reason that it is ok to look at a QB.

That's not entirely fair, Beerball. I'm not sure when you posted but he might have missed a game or two after you posted your thought and subsequently, EJ then missed the last 2 games of the season.

On a grey scale, the tipping point for many people's opinions certainly could have been determined by EJ missing the last two games.

Fair?

An editor choosing a sensationalist headline does not mean any of the quotes from the Jets support that narrative. You should have read the whole article.

Agreed. As I said upthread, lets see the actions of the teams in a few months compared to the rhetoric.

At this point its only words which to me is meaningless.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan