Bills working to keep Moorman [update: signed 1-10-2014]

ny33

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Moorman ever that great of a pooch punter? I remember seeing a lot of touchbacks over the years, from here he seemed about average in terms of killing it down. It was those 60 yarders I loved about him.

I think that is what got him cut last year. He kept going for touchbacks instead of coffin corner or high and downable inside the 10 yard line. I think there are many times when getting a touchback is smarter than relying on a lousy ST squad to make a play.

I like Moormon we all like Moormon, and I think we all want him to retire as a Buffalo Bill. But he's not the same punter he was 5 years ago. I think the Bills will bring in a punter to camp and challenge him and winner take all.

:thumbsup:

It's an insurance policy.

By the way, I posted this in the other Moorman thread-- Chris Brown makes a strong defense for Moorman's play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Moorman-wants-to-keep-on-kicking/863966a2-09d4-459c-aa98-76587cd7367e

On the surface some might look at Moorman’s net punting average, one of the chief indicators used to assess a punter’s rate of success, and see that with a mark of 36.6 he ranked 30th in the NFL. What most may not understand is Moorman was very rarely asked to flip the field for Buffalo’s defense.

Most of the time the approach of special teams coordinator Danny Crossman was to hang the ball high to let the coverage unit force a fair catch or down the ball.

In his 11 games as Bills punter Moorman did an admirable job. He forced 17 fair catches, put 10 punts out of bounds and four others were downed. All told just over half of his punts (31-61) were not returnable.

If you project Moorman’s fair catches out over a 16-game season he would’ve had 28 on the year, which would’ve ranked second in the NFL.

For those punts that were returned the gains were minimal. Opponents averaged 7.6 yards a return on Moorman punts this season good for eighth-best in the league. More importantly it cut the average return that opponents had been getting when Shawn Powell was punting almost in half. When Powell was still punting for Buffalo opponents averaged 14.5 yards a punt return.

Hang time is what Crossman wants more than anything and Moorman proved he could still deliver that on a consistent basis. According to Pro Football Focus Moorman’s top hang time this season was 5.5 seconds, good for second-best in the league.

Spin....

He is a great guy but he does not have the leg he once did. How about hang time and distance? This should not be either or.

Most realistic situation is the Music City Miracle is the result if the curse of Flutie. Hours later the Bills **** canned Reed, Smith and Thomas by fax and they were notified through the media. That fax was possessed by Flutie and the Bills couldn't announce it was an accident and the fax had a mind if it's own so they had to go with the unceremonious release. Moorman and Billy Buffalo are the demonic incarnations of the curse.

Both Billy Buffalo and Moorman have been here through the complete playoff curse.

Think about it, have you actually seen Moorman play for Seattle? No

Pittsburgh State? Yeah sure who has ever heard of that football program? No one.

He is from WITCHita, Kansas? Has anyone ever visited WITCHita ? No, because it doesn't exist.

He is a sucubus straight from hell sent to enforce the curse of Flutie and ensure the Bills miss the playoffs for all eternity. The contract Whaley signed now ensures failure for all of Whaley's tenure.

It is so obvious.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I hope it's to retire as a Bill.

THIS

I like Moormon we all like Moormon, and I think we all want him to retire as a Buffalo Bill. But he's not the same punter he was 5 years ago. I think the Bills will bring in a punter to camp and challenge him and winner take all.

I am not the same punter i was 5 years ago

Spin....

He is a great guy but he does not have the leg he once did. How about hang time and distance? This should not be either or.

His average hang time is very good isnt it though?

some act as though Moorman was the worst punter in the history of the NFL - something to cry about I guess. Guy is good a killing the ball inside the 10

Yes seemingly about average at killing it and can punt the ball 60 yards = worst in the history of the league

He was an outstanding punter in his day. In my opinion though it was mostly distance and hangtime that made him so good- maybe my memory is just fuzzy.

Edited by Aaron

I like Brian Moorman, he has been a great ambassador and warrior (as much as a punter can) for the Bills over the last decade …. there were many seasons where he was the best athlete on the field for them.

But I hope they make an attempted to bring in other serious candidates and make it an open competion.

I watch the Chargers and think, "wow", now that is what an NFL punter is supposed to do. Yes, its a punter, but a good one can make a world of difference.

Spin....

Agree. I expect they will bring in some punting competition. The Bills need to flip the field they way they used to when Moorman used to have a giant leg.

He's a solid vet, and there's something to be said for that. One of his strengths used to be his speed on broken plays or trick punts. Not sure he has that speed any more.

Edited by todd