Bills working to keep Moorman [update: signed 1-10-2014]

ny33

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of information not in this statement. They may sign him and look for an upgrade then cut him. Signing him could serve as an insurance policy.

Don't let me get in the way of a good panic 2 days into the offseason though.

He was one of the three or four worst punters in the league by virtually any metric. Shawn Powell (who could cost the Bengals a playoff game, and has been awful in Cincy) is one of the few who have been worse.

He's also old and his leg strength will only decline. If he gets any guaranteed money, I will lose a lot of faith in Whaley.

Edited by ny33

I don't think you demoralize a guy like Moorman, in a presser, and say he's as good as gone. I'm 100% sure we'll have someone new starting the season.

Whaley said what he needed to say. Moorman has been a great individual for the community and the franchise, but it's time to move on. :D

I don't think you demoralize a guy like Moorman, in a presser, and say he's as good as gone. I'm 100% sure we'll have someone new starting the season.

Whaley said what he needed to say. Moorman has been a great individual for the community and the franchise, but it's time to move on. :D

Exactly. I think it was meant as a nice gesture for a great guy.

Moorman himself seemed to know he was done after the last game.

As said, just because we sign him doesn't mean he's going to beat out the other Punter we will inevitably bring in. And for the record - they aren't exactly growing on trees. The Bengals just signed Shawn Powell heading into the playoffs. Yikes. I'd take Brian Moorman's diminishing skillset over half of what's available.

Tons of punters succeed off of the "street." We should have cut Moorman weeks ago and given a punter, or punters, a chance to show what they can do.

As said, just because we sign him doesn't mean he's going to beat out the other Punter we will inevitably bring in. And for the record - they aren't exactly growing on trees. The Bengals just signed Shawn Powell heading into the playoffs. Yikes. I'd take Brian Moorman's diminishing skillset over half of what's available.

Its almost January. Any position is thin now. John Kitna just suited up for the cowgirls yesterday.

Come May next year there will be countless Punters better than Moorman.

Great guy. But hes done. I dont need to hear about possibly re-signing him. Dont amuse me, Whaley.

Who cares! Right now we need more than a punter to get us in the playoffs.

Move On! :doh:

Sorry, but while this may seem like a small thing to you, it is exemplary of the small things the Bills do that keep them from being a franchise fully committed to winning. Keeping Moorman out of deference to his past success and loyalty, despite his being finished as a competent NFL punter, is the type of cronyism that keeps this team out of the playoffs.

Obviously a successful Q.B. is the most important thing, but all the small things add up to at least one or two losses a year.

1) The Toronto game, a loss in a dome against a dome team

2) Marrone's insistence that the special teams were fine, and that Crossman was not necessarily to blame; plus, firing Hilliard before the rest of the staff gets reviewed; plus, the continued employment of the assistant S.T. coach who is a former Syracuse assistant to Marrone

3) The lack of a Q.B. coach for E.J. Manuel, who is being coached by a rookie O.C.

4) Claiming that the team had started an analytics department, only to announce months later that a head of the department had been hired. To date, we have not heard any detailed information about this supposed "department"

All of these things are obvious missteps to fans. I'm not claiming to be a better evaluator of talent than the scouts or G.M.; it is sad that simple, clear hindrances to winning like the above are noticeable to fans but not acted upon by management. To me, that is the mark of an organization that does not prioritize winning above everything else, which you have to in 2013's N.F.L.

Sorry, but while this may seem like a small thing to you, it is exemplary of the small things the Bills do that keep them from being a franchise fully committed to winning. Keeping Moorman out of deference to his past success and loyalty, despite his being finished as a competent NFL punter, is the type of cronyism that keeps this team out of the playoffs.

Obviously a successful Q.B. is the most important thing, but all the small things add up to at least one or two losses a year.

2) Marrone's insistence that the special teams were fine, and that Crossman was not necessarily to blame; plus, firing Hilliard before the rest of the staff gets reviewed; plus, the continued employment of the assistant S.T. coach who is a former Syracuse assistant to Marrone

3) The lack of a Q.B. coach for E.J. Manuel, who is being coached by a rookie O.C.

4) Claiming that the team had started an analytics department, only to announce months later that a head of the department had been hired. To date, we have not heard any detailed information about this supposed "department"

All of these things are obvious missteps to fans. I'm not claiming to be a better evaluator of talent than the scouts or G.M.; it is sad that simple, clear hindrances to winning like the above are noticeable to fans but not acted upon by management. To me, that is the mark of an organization that does not prioritize winning above everything else, which you have to in 2013's N.F.L.

Preach on. No such thing as small beans in the NFL

There was another thread and in it someone mentioned Belichick and what he says in pressers. Nothing bad, everything good and let's the players sort themselves out and the FO do the rest. This is some what feeling like that, except it is Whaley and he is a publicity puppet master. He has little to do with the players. I expect Moorman resigns some little deal to get us thru the draft. If a punter isn't there and then we have him. Of course any street FA will likely beat him but he is a cheat safety plug. Pull it when its time

Where in your list of "small things" does Moorman come up? Besides getting us good field position.

What did you expect out of moorman?

I know Marrone wanted someone to come in and basically kick punts with a lot of hang time and little returns ( in contrast, to the line drives that Powell was hitting). That's what moorman did. In the jax game, he was hitting some kicks with over 5 seconds of hang time.

You make it sound preposterous that a team would keep an aging vet with declining skills as a punter. Well, that happens all the time. Chris gardocki played for like 20 years because teams felt comfortable having a vet who wouldn't get a punt blocked or returned. We kept Chris mohr well past his prime because we were comfortable with him in the weather.

You are ragging on moorman because you are generally disgruntled with the whole team. I would suggest you let it go. Moorman is going to retire. That Whaley made a kind comment about the team's interest in him one day after the season ended isn't proof of anything.

Where in your list of "small things" does Moorman come up? Besides getting us good field position.

A franchise that prioritized having the best possible players on the roster would have cut Moorman weeks ago and given various free agent punters a shot (unless the first signing succeeded). We did not cut Moorman for one of the following reasons:

1) A reluctance to cut a player twice in the season who had, in the past, been a quality, long-term player for the Bills

2) A lack of information/scouting reports on free agent punters

3) Simple laziness in deciding to keep the current, inept punter and not giving others a shot

Moorman cost us field position. This was key in several games. The defense can only do so much when the offense cannot sustain drives, and a competent punter is critical for teams like the Bills/Eagles that run hurry-up offenses, and even more critical for the Bills due to the team's relative offense ineptitude.