UFC last night

BLZFAN4LIFE

I am surprised the UFC still gets the draw and attention it still does. It sure seems like a lot of the fans are not there anymore.

What does your 2nd sentence mean?.............For me, I can't stand that gladiator ****. Why anybody would want to do or watch that sport is beyond me.............BTW, you can spend a whole day on youtube watching these guys break their legs in two.

The one thing it does seem to have over boxing is that you can have a number of losses, and still be at the top of the game. I think Silva has 7. In boxing, once you're knocked out once, you are usually never the same. I said that when Tyson got knocked out by Douglas, and turned out to be right.

What does your 2nd sentence mean?.............For me, I can't stand that gladiator ****. Why anybody would want to do or watch that sport is beyond me.............BTW, you can spend a whole day on youtube watching these guys break their legs in two.

The one thing it does seem to have over boxing is that you can have a number of losses, and still be at the top of the game. I think Silva has 7. In boxing, once you're knocked out once, you are usually never the same. I said that when Tyson got knocked out by Douglas, and turned out to be right.

MMA>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boxing

That's because in boxing they line you up against cans to build your record. Hell, even when they're champs they don't fight the best contenders. It's one of the reasons boxing has faded and MMA has gained in popularity. People want to see the best fight the best not duck each other for their entire careers.

it means that the draw is not there like it used to be. Sure the 22-29 crowd digs it still but teens don't seem that interested in it any more and it seems popularity is fading

it means that the draw is not there like it used to be. Sure the 22-29 crowd digs it still but teens don't seem that interested in it any more and it seems popularity is fading

That's good as far as I'm concerned. But, I thought it was this hot upcoming sport. Is it kind of like NASCAR was that and then 5 years ago that tanked?

That's good as far as I'm concerned. But, I thought it was this hot upcoming sport. Is it kind of like NASCAR was that and then 5 years ago that tanked?

and just like NASCAR it is becoming all about commercial sell outs, a propped up stereotypical image and an gimmick of itself.

Everything entertainment-wise is cyclical. The two big issues with the UFC at this time are the lack of a truly marketable heavyweight to scare the bejesus out of the populous and the lack of feuds.

When Lesnar was in the game, it gave a lot of people reason to tune in. Granted he was mostly a circus act and fell off dramatically after diverticulitis almost killed him, but he was an easy sell. Cain is a great MMA fighter but he's just not Lesnar.

The Ortiz/Shamrock and Ortiz/Liddell feuds were easy to hype and sell. There were other long standing stories from Pride and other old UFC events like Silva/Rampage, Trigg/Hughes, Penn/Hughes, etc that sold themselves. There was interesting guys out of the Ultimate Fighter television shows who were making names for themselves.

The biggest issue the UFC is facing is marketing the new talent. A whole bunch of the most recognizable names in the sport were on their way down when the sport was reaching its peak and there simply hasn't been enough time to build up those behind them. There's too many new fighters and too many new weight classes. Market saturation, if you will.

We also don't have any real "bad boys". It's becoming a very corporate/professional sport and there's no real "love 'em or hate 'em" guys like Ortiz to send the PPV numbers rocketing up. Right now the only person who kinda fits is Rousey and no offense, but I could care less about watching her "fight".

The talent level has NEVER been higher, all across the sport. The best evidence of that was watching Matt Hughes, who was on a slide of his own, just devastate Royce Gracie.

That's because in boxing they line you up against cans to build your record. Hell, even when they're champs they don't fight the best contenders. It's one of the reasons boxing has faded and MMA has gained in popularity. People want to see the best fight the best not duck each other for their entire careers.

Between the ducking and the clear fixing of matches nobody cares about boxing anymore. Even if pacquio was to fight mayweather the draw wouldn't be near what it could have been a few years ago. Mayweather has ducked him for too long and now pacquio is a shell of himself. The fight fixing is the main culprit of why people don't care as well as no Heavyweight class. Nobody cares about the Klitchko's (sp?) - although the fight he won throwing only lefts was impressive.

I don't think this is the case at all. I go to Wild Wings for the fights every time they are on and the place is packed. In a town of 25k there are 2 places that are packed for any of these fights. I am outside of your 22-29 range as well. This will never be a huge mainstream sport but it does well and has cornered the fighting sports market.

Everything entertainment-wise is cyclical. The two big issues with the UFC at this time are the lack of a truly marketable heavyweight to scare the bejesus out of the populous and the lack of feuds.

When Lesnar was in the game, it gave a lot of people reason to tune in. Granted he was mostly a circus act and fell off dramatically after diverticulitis almost killed him, but he was an easy sell. Cain is a great MMA fighter but he's just not Lesnar.

The Ortiz/Shamrock and Ortiz/Liddell feuds were easy to hype and sell. There were other long standing stories from Pride and other old UFC events like Silva/Rampage, Trigg/Hughes, Penn/Hughes, etc that sold themselves. There was interesting guys out of the Ultimate Fighter television shows who were making names for themselves.

The biggest issue the UFC is facing is marketing the new talent. A whole bunch of the most recognizable names in the sport were on their way down when the sport was reaching its peak and there simply hasn't been enough time to build up those behind them. There's too many new fighters and too many new weight classes. Market saturation, if you will.

We also don't have any real "bad boys". It's becoming a very corporate/professional sport and there's no real "love 'em or hate 'em" guys like Ortiz to send the PPV numbers rocketing up. Right now the only person who kinda fits is Rousey and no offense, but I could care less about watching her "fight".

The talent level has NEVER been higher, all across the sport. The best evidence of that was watching Matt Hughes, who was on a slide of his own, just devastate Royce Gracie.

As you pointed out Lesnar was a bit of a circus but true mma fans didn't really respect him (his after fight comments at UFC 100 were legendary though). He brought some fans from the WWE as well. I don't know how you can knock Cain though. He is an absolute stud. He has handled Dos Santos twice in a row seemingly with ease. His dominance in this division is quite impressive.

As for bad boys, Chael is over the hill but the Diaz brothers are still loathed by many. Add in Rousey (who is awesome btw) and there are some "bad guys."

You are spot on though with the marketing new talent issues. There are too many seasons of TUF to keep up with. Silva and GSP retiring is going to be a big blow to the sport. Bones and Velasquez are certifiable stars but don't have the longevity that the other 2 have. The UFC on Fox are hardly marketed and rarely include fights with big enough names to be a draw. Add in the every 3 week ppv and following UFC becomes not only difficult (too many weight classes) but expensive as well.

Ronda Rousey is awesome. She is a force right now and put a beating on Meisha Tate who to me is everything that is wrong with women fighters. She can't cry about a lack of respect in the fighting world and simultaneously have the nickname cupcake, come out in a cupcake robe, and to Katy Perry. She also looked like she was there for the money while Rousey looked like she was there to hurt someone!

This sport will never (imo) cross into entirely mainstream. It will never be as popular as basketball, baseball, or football. That said it is the strongest and most popular fighting sport out there and there really isn't a close second.

Ronda Rousey is awesome. She is a force right now and put a beating on Meisha Tate who to me is everything that is wrong with women fighters. She can't cry about a lack of respect in the fighting world and simultaneously have the nickname cupcake, come out in a cupcake robe, and to Katy Perry. She also looked like she was there for the money while Rousey looked like she was there to hurt someone!

I'd have to disagree that she looked like she was there for the money. She just ran into a much better athlete. Her takedowns, which are her biggest strength, were just completely nullified. If she was just there for the money, she would have tapped to the arm bar that Ronda locked in in the first.

As to her nickname. It is ridiculous. It was Meisha "Takedown" Tate til a little over a year ago. It is laughable though.

I'd have to disagree that she looked like she was there for the money. She just ran into a much better athlete. Her takedowns, which are her biggest strength, were just completely nullified. If she was just there for the money, she would have tapped to the arm bar that Ronda locked in in the first.

As to her nickname. It is ridiculous. It was Meisha "Takedown" Tate til a little over a year ago. It is laughable though.

Didn't her arm get broken on an arm bar once?