Exhaustive film study: EJ's strengths and weaknesses

l< j

That's very interesting. I thought the shotgun was used to help him see the field better and have more time to scan the field and complete his reads. Not an expert

on this stuff.

Also, the article mentioned the reading the field and cutting down the field to help this, and Marrone basically came out after one the the last games and said

they gave him too much, and needed to scale back.

Wonder what they do from here?

I also wonder how committed they are to E.J. at this point. This is the first QB selection of the new coaching and G.M..

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read.... Manuel is a workaholic. If he is, he can fix it all. If not, he is Losman but a bit smarter or he is Edwards with a stronger arm.

If he is a real workaholic (and it is not just PR) and he masters his craft this off season, he is at least A. Rodgers. I would take that!

EJ doesn't have pocket awareness which to me is something a QB either has or he doesn't and isn't something anyone can learn

His mechanics are terrible and haven't improved at all which begs the question...what has this coaching staff been doing with him all year?

You can't write a guy off after one year but I have serious doubts EJ will ever turn into a good starting QB in the NFL

Edited by Max997

Yeah....then there's this:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap2000000304390/article/going-deep-qbs-could-offer-holiday-surprise-for-2014

EJ needs more time on the field, period. Evaluating a guy who hasn't played more than 5 games in a row is still useful, but, everything he does wrong is a direct result of not being ready to play in the league.

I wish that he'd had a chance to either play the full season, or sit for a year, because then this whole issue would be a lot more straightforward.

Instead, we have some people drawing conclusions on incomplete data(or flat out emoting in some cases).

They could be right, but not because they have a clear argument that makes them right. If they are right, it will only be because they get lucky, and the facts of next year, which no one knows, certainly not them, support them.

3 games of 100+ passer rating? How does one account for that?

That's a horrible example because the Ravens game was one of EJ's worst games.

you are correct, maybe i am wrong on the game, i was just going off the top of my head. possibly panthers? not sure. thank you for the correction

Yeah....then there's this:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap2000000304390/article/going-deep-qbs-could-offer-holiday-surprise-for-2014

EJ needs more time on the field, period. Evaluating a guy who hasn't played more than 5 games in a row is still useful, but, everything he does wrong is a direct result of not being ready to play in the league.

I wish that he'd had a chance to either play the full season, or sit for a year, because then this whole issue would be a lot more straightforward.

Instead, we have some people drawing conclusions on incomplete data(or flat out emoting in some cases).

They could be right, but not because they have a clear argument that makes them right. If they are right, it will only be because they get lucky, and the facts of next year, which no one knows, certainly not them, support them.

3 games of 100+ passer rating? How does one account for that?

By cherry picking.

By cherry picking.

Cherry picking implies an agenda.

I'm not sure I'm ready to accuse posters of having an anti-EJ agenda....because...if they are anti-EJ...what are they for? Todd McShay? :lol:

I will accuse them of over-reliance on the "same old Bills" argument...because of the ease of that position. You don't really have to think too much. Until the Bills get into the playoffs....everything is a nail with that argument.

It's lazy. If you can't see the obvious differences in this team, in only one year, then you're not trying.

By cherry picking.

it's no more cherry picking than picking on the tampa game. 3 games under 65, 3 over 100. take out his best and worst, and he is at an 80. The sample size is only 10, so cherry picking 3 results is basically a third of the sample.

summary: we haven't seen enough

......If you can't see the obvious differences in this team, in only one year, then you're not trying.

I'd say that they would indeed be trying.......trying very hard to not see the obvious differences.

it's no more cherry picking than picking on the tampa game. 3 games under 65, 3 over 100. take out his best and worst, and he is at an 80. The sample size is only 10, so cherry picking 3 results is basically a third of the sample.

summary: we haven't seen enough

We probably never will.

After EJ's 11th knee surgery in 2016, people will be saying, "get him more weapons!! He needs a true #1 Calvin Johnson type that is the best receiver in the league and a Jimmy Graham type best TE in the league!" Or, "he's only played 20 games after 4 seasons, look at Peyton Manning's stats after 20 games!"

We probably never will.

After EJ's 11th knee surgery in 2016, people will be saying, "get him more weapons!! He needs a true #1 Calvin Johnson type that is the best receiver in the league and a Jimmy Graham type best TE in the league!" Or, "he's only played 20 games after 4 seasons, look at Peyton Manning's stats after 20 games!"

Are you suggesting that most(if not all) of the people who feel that they haven't seen enough of EJ at this point will feel the same way after 4 years and 11 knee surgeries?

Buffalo Rumblings has finished their assessment of EJ's strengths and weaknesses, based on all-22 study. Exhaustive is a good word here.

http://www.buffaloru...t-play-accuracy

I posted a link in a thread earlier when they had just the galleries but now they have the narrative too.

Really nice breakdown of every aspect of EJ's game. Thanks for posting this.

Are you suggesting that most(if not all) of the people who feel that they haven't seen enough of EJ at this point will feel the same way after 4 years and 11 knee surgeries?

It was an exaggeration. But there'd be at least one guy, yes.

I haven't given up on EJ. But if he misses more than one game next season due to injury, I will.

It was an exaggeration. But there'd be at least one guy, yes.

I haven't given up on EJ. But if he misses more than one game next season due to injury, I will.

There'd be at least one guy who would think he was rubbish if he makes the next 3 probowls and wins us the SB.

I just couldn't understand why at this point in time(when it is reasonable to have not given up on him) you would make that comment.

We probably never will.

think your'e reaching pretty hard dude. not saying he's the be all end all, i dont think anybody on this board is saying that. EJ doesn't have a history of injury, and dealing with a knee injury. in fact it is not uncommon to see athletes with one bad knee hurt their other one relying too heavily on it to mask the other. not an excuse, it just is. if EJ has the same knee injuries with you next year, I will join you. The sky is not falling

I honestly think as Bills fans we don't deserve nice things. We run everything and everybody out of town unless they are day one HoFers. I seriously doubt Kaep, Wilson, Foles, or any other QB that wasn't a "sure thing" in college would have worked here. It is not a defense of EJ, it isn't EJ specific, it is purely a criticism of the fan base in regards to a number of players and coaches