A message to the NFL

Justice

The NFL has their heart set on a team or two in LA, and one each in Toronto and London. No city, not even Jacksonville, should have to lose their football team. The possibility of an 11 & 5 team like Arizona missing out on the playoffs shouldn't happen either. I have the perfect solution that will make everyone happy. Here's my plan that will help avoid these types of situations.

Expand the league by four teams, two in each conference. That brings the total of teams in each conference to 18. Next thing you do is scrap the divisions. Each team plays every team within their own conference one time each for 17 games, alternating home games annually. The NFL will be pleased with this because they get an additional regular season game. The players won't mind it either considering the NFL wanted to move to an 18 game schedule, this way they meet in the middle. The top 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

I love this idea because the best of the best in each conference will make the playoffs every year and it's the fairest way. I also love the idea of avoiding a "Tom Brady type QB" tormenting you two times a year for 10 years. The only downside is you don't see an NFC team until the Super Bowl. I can live with that. The rivalries you develop in your own conference will negate that.

What do you think?

Edited by NoJustice

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL has their heart set on a team or two in LA, and one each in Toronto and London. No city, not even Jacksonville, should have to lose their football team. The possibility of an 11 & 5 team like Arizona missing out on the playoffs shouldn't happen either. I have the perfect solution that will make everyone happy. Here's my plan that will help avoid these types of situations.

Expand the league by four teams, two in each conference. That brings the total of teams in each conference to 18. Next thing you do is scrap the divisions. Each team plays every team within their own conference one time each for 17 games, alternating home games annually. The NFL will be pleased with this because they get an additional regular season game. The players won't mind it either considering the NFL wanted to move to an 18 game schedule, this way they meet in the middle. The top 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

I love this idea because the best of the best in each conference will make the playoffs every year and it's the fairest way. I also love the idea of avoiding a "Tom Brady type QB" tormenting you two times a year for 10 years. The only downside is you don't see an NFC team until the Super Bowl. I can live with that. The rivalries you develop in your own conference will negate that.

What do you think?

i love it except for one big twist......

once you get to the playoffs.....in the first round, the top seed in one conference plays the lowest seed in the other conference.

i would prefer 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.

Edited by papazoid

So you'd never get to play a team from the other conference in the regular season?

No. Only in the Super Bowl. AFC vs NFC games are meaningless anyways. There's no rivalry there.

IMO that's a small price to pay to ensure that the NFL can expand to the places they covet without cities losing their teams and the NFL can move to an 18 week schedule, including the bye. I can live without facing NFC teams for that.

Edited by NoJustice

4 more teams.

12 more QBs have NFL jobs when there already aren't enough good QBs.

230 other guys in the NFL who don't have NFL talent.

4 more billion dollar arenas that will sit idle a huge portion of the year.

Those were my initial thoughts as well. There is not enough good talent to support the teams now, how can you add more unless quantity is more important than quality.

4 more teams.

12 more QBs have NFL jobs when there already aren't enough good QBs.

230 other guys in the NFL who don't have NFL talent.

4 more billion dollar arenas that will sit idle a huge portion of the year.

I disagree. I can name four back up QBs that can start on NFL teams. McCown, Vick, Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Hoyer, and maybe even our very own Thad Lewis. That's not even counting the three or four prospects coming out of college football every year.

Money for stadiums isn't an issue either. There are quite a few billionaires looking to own NFL franchises.

Will the talent level be thinned out a bit? Sure, but everything is relative. There are plenty of talented players that don't get an ample opportunity to showcase their talents, too. Maybe now they will.

Reduce pre season to 2 games against the other conference. and each team plays one regular season game against the team in the other conference that finished in the same position they did the season prior. Example. .the last place team in conference A plays the last place team from conference B. This would create some cross conference interaction

I disagree. I can name four back up QBs that can start on NFL teams. McCown, Vick, Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Moore, Hoyer, and maybe even our very own Thad Lewis. That's not even counting the three or four prospects coming out of college football every year.

Money for stadiums isn't an issue either. There are quite a few billionaires looking to own NFL franchises.

Will the talent level be thinned out a bit? Sure, but everything is relative. There are plenty of talented players that don't get an ample opportunity to showcase their talents, too. Maybe now they will.

You can name 4 QBs that "can start". You "can start". I "can start". It doesn't mean they are viable starters. Matt Moore? Vick (he'll be broken by week 5)? Mccown can go to jax and replace their non starter starter. Cousins can go to Minnesota and do the same. The others can go to Oakland and battle it out. Hell, we'll take one too. Not to mention the jets, Miami, Washington, Cleveland, Houston, Arizona and Tampa. None of which have quality starting QBs at this point in time. They are starting QBs because they don't have quality starting QBs. And that's just the QB position. Then you have to fill out 4 more 53 man rosters. Maybe justin Rogers can start for one of those teams. 212 more NFL quality players. Good luck with that watered down product. It's NOT all relative. If we subtracted 4 teams, the remaining teams would get a little bit better. If we add teams, the teams get worse. Yep.

I understand you wanting to keep teams in their respective city, but adding 4 teams is just a bad idea IMO.

Jax and Carolina didn't thin out the talent level around the league, IMO.

How do you work the logistics with a team in London?

Not sure. Personally I'm against a team in London. Goodell seems to think it can work.

Not sure. Personally I'm against a team in London. Goodell seems to think it can work.

You can name 4 QBs that "can start". You "can start". I "can start". It doesn't mean they are viable starters. Matt Moore? Vick (he'll be broken by week 5)? Mccown can go to jax and replace their non starter starter. Cousins can go to Minnesota and do the same. The others can go to Oakland and battle it out. Hell, we'll take one too. Not to mention the jets, Miami, Washington, Cleveland, Houston, Arizona and Tampa. None of which have quality starting QBs at this point in time. They are starting QBs because they don't have quality starting QBs. And that's just the QB position. Then you have to fill out 4 more 53 man rosters. Maybe justin Rogers can start for one of those teams. 212 more NFL quality players. Good luck with that watered down product. It's NOT all relative. If we subtracted 4 teams, the remaining teams would get a little bit better. If we add teams, the teams get worse. Yep.

I understand you wanting to keep teams in their respective city, but adding 4 teams is just a bad idea IMO.

No matter how many teams are in the league you're always gonna have some subpar starters on every team.

That would be such a hot mess. If you think Buffalo is an undesirable location for an NFL player...

Not to mention, there would be like 5,000 fans total at those home games if the franchise wasn't immediately championship-caliber. They have their own football.

No matter how many teams are in the league you're always gonna have some subpar starters on every team.

Right, but when you expand, you don't increase the number of subpar starters per team. You just decrease the value of "par".

You named two guys that may be out of the league next year, two guys that have lost their starting gigs and very much belong in a good backup role (but got shots since there already aren't enough good qbs), and two guys that haven't shown more than a good handful of games.

NoJustice - Are you serious when you say Ryan Fitztrajic can be a decent starter in the NFL? All I can say about that is WOW! WOW! I can't believe it. Thad Lewis is even better than PicksPatrick who I crown the interception King of the NFL.

Edited by littlelouie