The Toronto game may have cost the Bills a shot at the playoffs

dave mcbride

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon. The Toronto series has to end.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon. The Toronto series has to end.

or they could get a Franchise QB

Your premise is dead on - Stevie and Chandler never fumble at the Ralph.

The reason for the sarcasm?

Atlanta is not a good team outside of domes. After tonight, they'll be either 0-5 or 0-6 outside domes this season (depending on how you count Arizona). The weather in Buffalo that day wasn't great, and I have no doubt the Bills would have won.

they would be 7-8 and not have the tiebreaker with the 7-8 steelers so they would need every 8-7 team, and the steelers to lose, i think (although i havent looked into the 6 way tiebreaker). even with that win, i think theres a good chance wed be out already, but at the very least would need about 5 games to fall in the right direction for us.

other than its location, is there any reason you picked that one and not the 8 others that we lost? heck, even throwing that game aside, we are what, 4-3 at home? not exactly a slam dunk.

The Tampa Bay game would have been completely different as well. Not saying they would have won, but the practices and attitude going into that game would have made the preparations completely different.

The fact is, we didn't win either. But I agree with the basic premise, that we likely would have beat Atlanta at the Ralph. This team plays different, and better, at home than on the road.

The reason for the sarcasm?

Atlanta is not a good team outside of domes. After tonight, they'll be either 0-5 or 0-6 outside domes this season (depending on how you count Arizona). The weather in Buffalo that day wasn't great, and I have no doubt the Bills would have won.

If either Stevie or Chandler hang on to the ball, we win the Toronto game, period.

I really dislike all the Toronto drama when in reality we should have won the game. The pair of fumbles that left us with a loss can't reasonably be blamed on the location of the game.

If either Stevie or Chandler hang on to the ball, we win the Toronto game, period.

I really dislike all the Toronto drama when in reality we should have won the game. The pair of fumbles that left us with a loss can't reasonably be blamed on the location of the game.

The reason it was so close is because of the location. In Orchard Park it wouldn't have come down to the last seconds. Also, it was no given that Carpenter hits a 48 yard field goal (which is what it would have been). He's missed a lot of big kicks in his life. As for Chandler, he never even got to midfield, and a FG wouldn't have ended it anyway.

The reason it was so close is because of the location. In Orchard Park it wouldn't have come down to the last seconds. Also, it was no given that Carpenter hits a 48 yard field goal (which is what it would have been). He's missed a lot of big kicks in his life. As for Chandler, he never even got to midfield, and a FG wouldn't have ended it anyway.

so carpenter was no gimme, but the game being in buffalo is 100% a win?

they would be 7-8 and not have the tiebreaker with the 7-8 steelers so they would need every 8-7 team, and the steelers to lose, i think (although i havent looked into the 6 way tiebreaker). even with that win, i think theres a good chance wed be out already, but at the very least would need about 5 games to fall in the right direction for us.

other than its location, is there any reason you picked that one and not the 8 others that we lost? heck, even throwing that game aside, we are what, 4-3 at home? not exactly a slam dunk.

It's the one game I'm sure we would have won if not for the location. As for KC, yeah, there was a bad play by Tuel, but he's a bad qb and bad qbs make bad plays. That's to be expected.

so carpenter was no gimme, but the game being in buffalo is 100% a win?

Do you honestly think that Atlanta would have won in Buffalo on a crappy day (mid-30s)? Honestly?

Edited by dave mcbride

No doubt, the Toronto game cost the Bills a chance at the playoffs. Not only would they have whipped Atlanta like Miami at RWS, but their Toronto loss probably cost them the Tampa game, or at least provided the let-down that made Tampa unwinnable. Wilson doesn't care, however, as it adds to his "Scrooge" net worth.

Why put more weight on one loss as compared to others? I get it that the Toronto game is unpopular but to say that loss was more meaningful than the others as they relate to playoffs is a faulty argument.

Why put more weight on one loss as compared to others? I get it that the Toronto game is unpopular but to say that loss was more meaningful than the others as they relate to playoffs is a faulty argument.

It's not that this loss is more meaningful, it's that the location itself contributed to the loss. In the other losses, players' mistakes contributed to the loss. In Toronto it was the players and the dome location that gave Atlanta the edge.

There are several games they should have won this year, but didn't. It's not Toronto's fault Stevie and chandler fumbled the game away.

It's not Toronto's fault they were embarrassed vs Tampa and Pittsburg. It wasn't Toronto's fault they gave Kansas City 14 point with horrible turnovers. Not Toronto's fault they couldn't stop Cinci's game tying drive.

The Bills aren't victim to an effort to grow the home market and keep the bills in buffalo. Stop making excuses.

If we truly are a playoff team then in no way should we be losing to a team as bad as Atlanta no matter where the game is played at. For that matter, we shouldnt lose to the Tampa Bay's of the world either if we are indeed a playoff team. We had plenty of other chance this season to show that we are a playoff team and we did not come through as usual.