controversal call---talked about, Pitt vs. GB

djp14150

Green Bay Pittsburgh

Green Bay lines up for a FG to tie... line up for a short one. close to an extra point attempt. FG is blocked.

In the attempt of a recovery and run back the pittsburgh player appears to pick it up then laterals it to a teammate. The team mate did not have possession and bobbled it then intentionally knocked it out of bounds.

the rulling by the officials was an intnetionally batted ball by Pittsburgh but Pittsburgh did not have posession so the penalty is against pittsburgh with Green Bay retaining posseion so half the distance and 1st down for Green Bay. Green Bay next play gets a TD for the lead,

Officials claimed it was not reviewable.

Tomlin was livid.

Edited by Beerball

What a weird call... I don't see why hitting the ball out of bounds (even if forward) should be called in the first place. But not only that, a Steelers player had possession and threw it back. And not only that, he might have actually been down by contact when he did it!

Sure it'll be reviewed by the league, weird one.

It looked like the guy had possession and a knee down when he tossed the ball to a team mate. Terrible call. Batted ball is the Raiders rule. You can not bat the ball forward to a team mate.

Edited by Nitro

Was it obvious that the first Pittsburgh player had possession?

In the replay, yes. I can easily see how it was missed live though. From most angles it looked to me like the player didn't even grab the ball.