Talleywhacker

4merper4mer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tannenhill has shown more poise and promise than EJ ever has and I'm convinced he'll have a much better career as well.

It's a shame.

You're drunk.

While Talleywhacker had a good rookie year, it was pretty much on par with EJ's except that Talleywhacker was able to stay healthy.

Only difference.

FWIW, Talleywhacker's rookie stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill

EJ's stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

And I get a much stronger sense of good intangibles from EJ than Talleywhacker.

If Talleywhacker had been drafted by the Bills and played how he's played so far for the fish, people here would be running him out of town.

You're drunk.

While Talleywhacker had a good rookie year, it was pretty much on par with EJ's except that Talleywhacker was able to stay healthy.

Only difference.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14876/ryan-tannehill

EJ's stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15803/ej-manuel

If Talleywhacker had been drafted by the Bills and played how he's played so far for the fish, people here would be running him out of town.

Normally I agree w/you... BUT the Bills have missed the playoffs for 14 years... We don't have the luxury! Constant pressure must be applied to finding that elusive franchise Qb... "Give it another year" is a sure disaster if we go solo w/one dude in the pipeline.

Normally I agree w/you... BUT the Bills have missed the playoffs for 14 years... We don't have the luxury! Constant pressure must be applied to finding that elusive franchise Qb... "Give it another year" is a sure disaster if we go solo w/one dude in the pipeline.

Thanks Exiled.

Actually I've been a huge EJ supporter BUT, I've also advocated considering drafting another 1st round quarterback depending on various factors.

I must have at least a dozen recent posts stating that the Bills should not disqualify the idea of drafting another QB.

That said, I seriously doubt that they do so.

Thanks Exiled.

Actually I've been a huge EJ supporter BUT, I've also advocated considering drafting another 1st round quarterback depending on various factors.

I must have at least a dozen recent posts stating that the Bills should not disqualify the idea of drafting another QB.

That said, I seriously doubt that they do so.

Yeah... I am just getting so sick of the "give it time", "he's our main guy" arguments... Maybe get another stud Qb in there and the heat will be applied to both to be better. The "put your eggs all in one basket" just isn't working for us! I want EJ to be constantly looking over his shoulder!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yeah... I am just getting so sick of the "give it time", "he's our main guy" arguments... Maybe get another stud Qb in there and the heat will be applied to both to be better. The "put your eggs all in one basket" just isn't working for us! I want EJ to be constantly looking over his shoulder!

I've spoken my piece on this subject as have others and the thought of debating this every week until and beyond April is really more than I can stand.

For the record I think EJ's the real deal but I'm not against the concept of taking another first round QB if the circumstances are right.

In my opinion you have to get another good quarterback, either a high draft choice (1st or 2nd round) or free agency if one is available. EJ has shown he is injury prone so you have to make sure you have another good QB in case he goes down. You saw what happened this year. Buffalo went into the season with one quarterback and it hurt them badly.

You're drunk.

Only difference.

http://espn.go.com/n.../ryan-tannehill

EJ's stats:

http://espn.go.com/n...15803/ej-manuel

Going by the dreaded "eye-test", (which I'm aware is personal bias and serves as no tangible proof) I like the way Tanny looks back there compared to EJ. I think he'll be a good QB in the years to come, his numbers this year are really solid. Especially considering the sieve of a line he's playing behind.

Edited by FireChan

Going by the dreaded "eye-test", (which I'm aware is personal bias and serves as no tangible proof) I like the way Tanny looks back there compared to EJ. I think he'll be a good QB in the years to come, his numbers this year are really solid. Especially considering the sieve of a line he's playing behind.

I'll grant that EJ plays behind a better O-line than Talleywhacker.

However Talleywhacker only looks better if you're comparing him this year (his second season) to EJ.

I thought Talleywhacker looked like just another promising rookie last year, same as EJ this year.

Also to my eye (and as you said looks can be deceiving), Talleywhacker looks like a bit of a big, clueless, goofball. For all I know he was an Academic All-America, summa cum laude, etc. but he does not carry an expression of intelligence. Nor do I discern a fire or drive in Talleywhacker. What I get from his facial expressions and his body language is kind of a dumbed-down Trent Edwards.

From EJ I always get a sense of determination, a real sharpness, a drive, and overt intelligence.

I could be wrong about their characters but if I had to hire one of those kids based on the way they look and the way they talk, it wouldn't be close.

And again I think their play on the field is very close when comparing rookie seasons.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

additionally, SJBF, talleywhacker also got to keep his college HC to help smooth the transition. so he was able to start further along the curve, and had no injury setbacks. that EJ looks similar in their rookie years is a compliment to EJ i think.

additionally, SJBF, talleywhacker also got to keep his college HC to help smooth the transition. so he was able to start further along the curve, and had no injury setbacks. that EJ looks similar in their rookie years is a compliment to EJ i think.

You're right.

The Dolphins hired Mike Sherman so Talleywhacker has been able to run largely the same offense he ran in college.

Talleywhacker had a good rookie year and was having a nice sophomore year.

Until today.

He's lucky he doesn't play in Buffalo.

People here really have no perspective on young quarterbacks.

What was good about his rookie year??? His completion rate was less than 60% . A TD to INT ratio that is below 1. And his QB Rating was only in the 70s. Thats pretty mediocre.

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

16 282 484 58.3 3,294 6.81 12 80 13 5 50.4 76.1

•  

Edited by prissythecat

What a load of crap & you're clearly biased. EJ, who missed 2 weeks of training camp & a month of his rookie year, puts up better numbers than Tannehill as a rookie and it doesn't matter. EJ beats a 11-4 team on the last play of the game, it doesn't matter. EJ nearly beats NE in his first start, it doesn't matter. EJ clearly isn't as good as Tannehill. Great point.

Maybe Tannehill's progress (before yesterday) shows why it is so stupid to give up on young Qbs after a year.

Tannehill, IMHO, is a mediocre QB at best. Has a good skill set, but will never be able to carry a team like a great QB.

Unlike many on this board. I'm not willing to pass judgment on EJ yet. Too small of a sample size. This notion of "well we haven't won in so long, we don't have time to develop a QB" stuff is horse poopie.

Tannehill, IMHO, is a mediocre QB at best. Has a good skill set, but will never be able to carry a team like a great QB.

Unlike many on this board. I'm not willing to pass judgment on EJ yet. Too small of a sample size. This notion of "well we haven't won in so long, we don't have time to develop a QB" stuff is horse poopie.

i think tannehill ends up somewhere in the schaub area - good qb for many years but not the GREAT qb. much like SJBF i think EJ has all the same tools, but even better intangibles (from what we can see in our limited windows into the teams). That doesnt mean that EJ will ever realize his potential to the extent that tannehill is starting to... but thats part of the process - giving these guys time, and tools and hoping to catch a little bit of that magic that finding an franchise qb outside of the top pick ends up being.

What was good about his rookie year??? His completion rate was less than 60% . A TD to INT ratio that is below 1. And his QB Rating was only in the 70s. Thats pretty mediocre.

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

16 282 484 58.3 3,294 6.81 12 80 13 5 50.4 76.1

•  

You just proved my point which is:

People here have no clue how rookie quarterbacks generally play.

There have been numerous great quarterbacks who've had terrible rookie years.

On average, Tannehill's rookie season was above average.

Most credible NFL observers thought that Tannehill had a very promising rookie season.

I'll grant that EJ plays behind a better O-line than Talleywhacker.

However Talleywhacker only looks better if you're comparing him this year (his second season) to EJ.

I thought Talleywhacker looked like just another promising rookie last year, same as EJ this year.

Also to my eye (and as you said looks can be deceiving), Talleywhacker looks like a bit of a big, clueless, goofball. For all I know he was an Academic All-America, summa cum laude, etc. but he does not carry an expression of intelligence. Nor do I discern a fire or drive in Talleywhacker. What I get from his facial expressions and his body language is kind of a dumbed-down Trent Edwards.

From EJ I always get a sense of determination, a real sharpness, a drive, and overt intelligence.

I could be wrong about their characters but if I had to hire one of those kids based on the way they look and the way they talk, it wouldn't be close.

And again I think their play on the field is very close when comparing rookie seasons.

I am not a big fan of Tannehill. But he is smart......he was pre-med and intends to be a surgeon.

To me he is Bledsoe-esque. I don't see the competitiveness and I really don't think football is that high of a priority in his life. That pretty much never equates to All Pro status. That's the eyeball test.

I will say this though.......as a thrower of the football he is much more natural than EJ. He is smooth and when the ball comes out of his hand you expect it to be on target. He also only played QB in college for his last two seasons.....he was a WR the first two seasons..........so he came into the NFL with considerably less game time at the college level.

EJ as a passer is scattershot. No denying it. He is anything but smooth.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ