54,000 at Texas High School State Championship game Saturday

\GoBillsInDallas/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop while you're behind. Allen is rich.

It's affluent. They have also resisted the urge to build additional HS's as their population has ballooned. Many towns nearby (Frisco, McKinney etc. are at 3 or more) built multiple high schools to handle the big influx of people. Allen reworked things and they've stayed with one HS. They do generate a lot of money and it all stays with that one school.

Many moons ago? What does your propensity to pull down your pants and show off your butt have to do with anything?

That was on the bus heading to an away game. The chicks dug me.

Now, get back on topic!

so? that makes it a good use of $59million?

Without seeing more info on the revenue centers it creates, how the funding came about, and not being in the community to see how much it does for the town (and if it's multipurpose), or how much more likely the kids from the town are to be given scholarship opportunities due to investments in the program..... id say I'm not the one to judge it. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not high on the list of worst ways 59m will be spent any given year.... Doesn't mean its good but a lot of times it sounds worse than it is.

Edited by NoSaint

Without seeing more info on the revenue centers it creates, how the funding came about, and not being in the community to see how much it does for the town (and if it's multipurpose), or how much more likely the kids from the town are to be given scholarship opportunities due to investments in the program..... id say I'm not the one to judge it. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not high on the list of worst ways 59m will be spent any given year.... Doesn't mean its good but a lot of times it sounds worse than it is.

Or just how much it means to the kids either...

The town floated a 119 million bond. The rest of the money went to rebuilding the gym, etc, at the school. The town already built another small arena for minor league hockey and concerts. So it's doubtful the gate receipts from football or any other event comes close to covering the service on that debt. It is repaid in taxes.

Also, as pointed out above, by only having one HS in town, and devoting so much money to non-educational activities, a rapidly growing community is going to be in a pinch if it has to build another HS.

Also, not clear the link between the beauty of a HS facility and the opportunity of an athlete getting a scholarship to college.

high school football is way overblown to begin with. 54000 for a hs game in Texas isn't really a complement to the people of Texas

Couldn't have said it better myself. Kudos.

I wonder how many adults were wearing jerseys if some 15 year old kids. Bizzare.

Also, not clear the link between the beauty of a HS facility and the opportunity of an athlete getting a scholarship to college.

Generally speaking, much like playing at LSU helps your shots at the pros, playing at a high school football factory would seemingly help the shot to go to the next level. It may not seem real, but recruiting at that level in those schools does exist and having top notch facilities helps build a winning tradition.

Edited by NoSaint

right. they are just supporting their town. how many people came to the musical, the track meet, the orchestra concert...if it was about "supporting their town," there would be 54000 at city council meetings. peoples' hard-on for hs football that leads to all the abuses (recruiting and otherwise) that everyone gets on their high horse about. it leads to insane peewee coaches that you see doing crazy crap on youtube.

and lol...a 59 million dollar high school stadium. yea, their priorities are in order... i'd love to see a list of stuff they can't afford.

Here is Allen High School's vocational center. You judge:

http://www.allenisd.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=17251

Here's the swim center:

http://www.cityofallen.org/index.aspx?nid=1070

Generally speaking, much like playing at LSU helps your shots at the pros, playing at a high school football factory would seemingly help the shot to go to the next level. It may not seem real, but recruiting at that level in those schools does exist and having top notch facilities helps build a winning tradition.

Aren't we talking about a public school? What recruiting?

Stop while you're behind. Allen is rich.

I agree with Jester there. I have lived and coached in the South and WNY. There are many things that seem a little off WRT to a 50+ million dollar stadium when a significantly cheaper one would have been feasible and sufficient.

Furthermore, it is mentioned that they have resisted the urge to have more schools open. Think about this from the kids' standpoint. With 4400 in 10th-12 grade, that is triple what Niagara Falls or Lancaster have up here. How the heck can you have any involvement in the school if you are not the most talented of individuals? I was a D-3 decathlete that was a late bloomer that benefited from being a 3-sport athlete at a smaller high school, and I would have been cut on the spot with the standards that this school has to have for their athletes, let alone some insane standards are likely to be members of choir, bands, and clubs. You end up seeing people who are strictly one-dimensional quite frequently down there as opposed to your average kid being able to do a sport, a club, and a band. Nevermind that there are an overwhelming number of kids to try to fit into. I think such a school size is detrimental to the student. /rant

I agree with Jester there. I have lived and coached in the South and WNY. There are many things that seem a little off WRT to a 50+ million dollar stadium when a significantly cheaper one would have been feasible and sufficient.

Furthermore, it is mentioned that they have resisted the urge to have more schools open. Think about this from the kids' standpoint. With 4400 in 10th-12 grade, that is triple what Niagara Falls or Lancaster have up here. How the heck can you have any involvement in the school if you are not the most talented of individuals? I was a D-3 decathlete that was a late bloomer that benefited from being a 3-sport athlete at a smaller high school, and I would have been cut on the spot with the standards that this school has to have for their athletes, let alone some insane standards are likely to be members of choir, bands, and clubs. You end up seeing people who are strictly one-dimensional quite frequently down there as opposed to your average kid being able to do a sport, a club, and a band. Nevermind that there are an overwhelming number of kids to try to fit into. I think such a school size is detrimental to the student. /rant

Sorry you think you wouldn't be good enough. I grew up in Florida and had gigantic high schools in my school district and had no trouble doing everything I wanted to. And I was average - below average in everything.

Edited by BlueFire

Aren't we talking about a public school? What recruiting?

There is still recruiting. Some of it legal and some of it not.

A popular legal attraction to playing at a public school with a good program is access to the best staff, best trainers, best facilities.

Gray areas involve players getting to sign up for classes before other students and/or having fewer classes or a chance to lift during study hall, etc.

Illegal areas include the same things as in college. Money, cars, etc.

LeBron James had a lot of activity going on in high school that was terribly gray if not all the way shaded out. Signing autographs for gifts, money, and even doing appearances. His school was sponsored by Nike, which is legal, and he was provided with all of the Nike gear he could get his hands on. When he goes pro, guess who he signed with?

In private schools some athletes do not have to pay tuition, maybe because they do not make enough in their family. But, the schools accept so many poor students per year on scholarships - literally scholarships - where the students have to clean after school, work off their tuition and maintain grades. There was a student in a Toledo school where I grew up who ended up playing in the NFL that went through this program - the school has been a powerhouse in football for a while.

A popular legal attraction to playing at a public school with a good program is access to the best staff, best trainers, best facilities.

Gray areas involve players getting to sign up for classes before other students and/or having fewer classes or a chance to lift during study hall, etc.

LeBron James had a lot of activity going on in high school that was terribly gray if not all the way shaded out. Signing autographs for gifts, money, and even doing appearances. His school was sponsored by Nike, which is legal, and he was provided with all of the Nike gear he could get his hands on. When he goes pro, guess who he signed with?

In private schools some athletes do not have to pay tuition, maybe because they do not make enough in their family. But, the schools accept so many poor students per year on scholarships - literally scholarships - where the students have to clean after school, work off their tuition and maintain grades. There was a student in a Toledo school where I grew up who ended up playing in the NFL that went through this program - the school has been a powerhouse in football for a while.

Not to mention some of those sports factories. One that Texas BBal recruited from for years was in Canada - there were no classes that didn't involve basketball. Crazy.

Nothing in your post describes how a public high school is recruiting kids outside of its school district. I'm sure it happens on some scale (kid's grandma moves to the district so he can use her address). But any rival is going to vet your roster for ringers.