If you look at the players over performing to their expectations...

With the exception of Dan Carpenter on special teams EVERY OTHER PLAYER on this team over performing is on the defensive side of the ball, under the supervision and guidance of Mike Pettines coaching and scheme

Players over performing to either their talent level or having career years. Here is the list of players.

Dan Carpenter

Jerry Hughes

Leodis McKelvin

Aaron Williams

Mario Williams

Kiko Alonso

Now if you go to the offensive side of the ball there is not a single player over-performing. Marrones specialty is offensive line and his group as a whole has been regressing to awful status. Individual performances from Cordy Glenn and Eric Wood I would grade as consistent to previous years. Now we have the joint effort of Marrone and Hackett with the rest of the offense.

Players not developing, regressing or having down years. CJ and Johnson are two of best talent on this team too.

CJ Spiller

Stevie Johnson

Scott Chandler

TJ Graham

I won't put EJ Manuel on the list but his 1st year development is worrysome.

The only bright spot on the offense has been Robert Woods but his production is nowhere near nor significant this year to put him on any list. However I am pleased with Woods and what he can bring to this team in the future.

I think this really puts it into context how effective Mike Pettine really has been and shows how ineffective our coaching is in the other phases of the game.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'd say Cordy Glenn is playing at a really high level, better than most people expected. PFF has him rated as the 7th best tackle in the league this year. That's a pretty nice improvement over last year where he wasn't nearly as consistent. And of course the offensive players are going to have down years with the inconsistency at the QB position. How could they not?

I also find it laughable how much credit Pettine gets. Yeah, I like sacks and INTs too but all those guys who are "over-performing" on D are also allowing big 3rd downs to be converted (which pretty much negates the sack) and teams to run all over them. Somehow when guys get sacks and INTs all their miscues are immediately forgiven.

Chandler is having a career year, actually. Currently tied his career best in catches with two games to play. Is he great? No, but he's coming off a major knee injury, and it's not like he's playing poorly. One fumble, yes, I know.

Robert Woods has had the most catches by a Bills rookie since Lee Evans, and is 16 catches away from the Bills rookie record with two games to play. This, after missing 4 games with an injury. And playing what many think is the most difficult position for a rookie player.

Oh, and yes...ROBEY

Chandler is having a career year, actually. Currently tied his career best in catches with two games to play. Is he great? No, but he's coming off a major knee injury, and it's not like he's playing poorly. One fumble, yes, I know.

Robert Woods has had the most catches by a Bills rookie since Lee Evans, and is 16 catches away from the Bills rookie record with two games to play. This, after missing 4 games with an injury. And playing what many think is the most difficult position for a rookie player.

Oh, and yes...ROBEY

Finally someone with a realistic take on Chandler. We would all love a Rob Gronkowski/Tony Gonzalez in his prime on our team but those guys are hard to find. Even in recent years when teams have spent first round picks on TE's, more often than no it has not panned out. Chandler is what he is- a middling NFL TE.

Over performing:

Easley

Hughes

Branch

Chandler

Glenn

Dareus

Robey

KWilliams (special mention of his age)

FJackson (special mention of his age)

Alonso

Lawson

Byrd

A.Williams

M.Williams

Wood

McKelvin

Carpenter

Underperforming:

Sj13

Graham

Spiller

Bradham

Gilmore

Brad Smith

Moorman

Moats

Finally someone with a realistic take on Chandler. We would all love a Rob Gronkowski/Tony Gonzalez in his prime on our team but those guys are hard to find. Even in recent years when teams have spent first round picks on TE's, more often than no it has not panned out. Chandler is what he is- a middling NFL TE.

and if we only had someone who was a viable option in the middle of the field, not just a better TE for tandem sets but someone like David Nelson back. A big WR who could run the seam and draw coverage. He would be the throwback TE producing 3-5 yards every time

Robey has impressed me the most.

Injuries have slowed down both Freddie and CJ.

Stevie is having one of THOSE years. Rookie QB, injuries and the Death of his Moms. Effing Tough year.

I would say Goodwin is overperforming. Woods is a solid WR. He has been hurt as well.

I say the Bills have been hurt by the OC, I really don't see the no huddle helping. Maybe run it here in there during the game. Not all the time, that has to be tough on EJ and the WR's.

Edited by Bufcomments

Mario Williams is "overperforming"?? COmpared to whom? He's the highest paid D palyer in NFL history--how is it possible for him to overperform?

Robey definitely.

McKelvin, I don't think so. Still getting burned in soft coverage/tackling his man after racking up YAC. His numbers aren't a lot differetn than 2010, when the consensus was he wasn't very good. He's pretty much stopped returning punts (and has a pathetic 6.4 yards per)..

Easley?? I recall someone posting earlier in the season that he may be another Tasker (mayber better). Holy cow, really? On the 16th best kickoff return coverage unit? He doesn't even handle our return anymore--they have given the "touchback" duties to someone else. And as a WR, he's a bust.

Freddie is always overachieving.

"Brad Smith" lol

Graham isn't underperforming--he told us he couldn't catch before he was drafted.

Gronkowski wasn't hard to find. Nope, not at all. He was there for the taking after we took Troup.