Hitting on a TE in the Draft

Boludo

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1865396/eric-ebron

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1860917/jace-amaro

You NEED a good receiving tight end in today's NFL. With the continuing trend of rule changes, it's more and more difficult for defenders to do anything against these big bodied receivers that create mismatches against both linebackers and defensive backs.

Think of players like Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Jordan Cameron, Jason Witten - and to a lesser extent guys like Greg Olsen, Charles Clay, Martellus Bennett, Julius Thomas, and Heath Miller. These players all represent a big portion of their teams offenses, and impact the game planning of opponents.

The Bills could especially benefit from a big time player at this position because of their glaring lack of a big physical target. Right now they can't even throw a fade on the goal line. Stevie Johnson can play at a high level, but he relies more on juking and quickness than size and strength. They need a different type of option. Woods is a nice midrange compliment to Johnson, with Goodwin threatening deep - but they need to bring that big bodied athletic target into the mix to really give the quarterback the tools a modern NFL passing attack needs.

Chandler has played OK but he's not really a playmaker, he's more of a guy that fills a roll and you hope doesn't mess up. This is a HUGE area of need for this team. Add in a good interior lineman and a linebacker to play alongside Kiko, and resign Byrd and beyond these things the rest of the draft picks are luxury picks for the team.

Let's get Ebron in the first round!

If Gronk was the #5 or #6 overall pick in the draft would that be too high? Or Jimmy Grahm? I dont ever want to think that the bills shouldnt pick the best player at a position or the guy they want "too high" if he is your guy go and get him before someone else does. The fron office just better be damm sure he is the second coming of Metzalars

Was Metzelaars even in the same category as the guys mentioned above? I mean he could block or catch the ball and fall down to get you 3 or 4 yards all day long but I don't ever remember him catching a ball in stride down the hashmarks like even Chandler does.

I agree the BILLS need a good, fast, pass catching TE...but NOT, NEVER, in the 1st round. Of those you mentioned, most came in the 3rd / 4th round and of others that have been serious busts, were drafted in the 1st. And the reason you pass on a TE when he may be the best player at his position is because when you forego the value chart, you miss other very talented players at their respective positions. For example, if there is a dead-on stud OLB in the 1st when the BILLS draft, you don't blink - you snatch him up. In round 2, if there's a tall, fast, great hands WR, you run to the podium, then in the 3rd, when there's a TE who has the tools to be a stud TE in the NFL you grab him. Look at two, Jordan and Julius Thomas, they were drafted in the same round two years ago - the 3rd. Gates and Witten were in the 3rd, Graham was in the 3rd, and the list goes on. But even when you get the best TE, it still takes a year or 2 to develop. OLB on the other hand can produce immediately and be a rare physical talent! See the Legend of Kiko, yes - i know he's a MLB, but still a LB. And even WRs take a year or two to truly make the leap to the NFL and make a serious impact on the game.

I absolutely agree with the draft Te method. MOF, I think the Bills should draft 2 of them. If we can trade down and add an extra 2nd rounder.

I would draft Ebron or ASJ in the 1st.

Take whoever remains out of those 3 players in the 2nd round.

Preferably Ebron and ASJ because those 2 would complement each other skill sets to perfection.

Asj is a big physical Gronk type that can stretch the seems and jump through the roof. While Ebron is the Veron Davis type. That has excellent speed and run after catch ability. These guys are also capable blockers so that would help our running gm.

Ej would no doubt in my mind flourish with these 2 players. And with our extra 2nd rounder we can draft a OG, or Lber. Its time to jump on the Tight end bandwagon.

Maybe. -But Certainly not in an early round (1-4) To me, TE is a very utilitarian position. A guy who plays it has be able to do whatever it takes to move the chains. Finding an excellent blocking, receiving, and open-field running TE is a rare and wonderful thing. IMO, we already have those talents in Scott Chandler.

Plus, we still have Chris Gragg, and Lee Smith. I see no need to over-draft a high-profile TE prospect when this team has other glaring needs... I think If were were talking later rounds (5th, 6th) I'd be much less aprehensive about it.

Btw, I've got my eye on a TE prospect named Alex Bayer out of Bowling Green State University. Not sure where he'll be in the later rounds, but he's my very EARLY bargain-basement find of the '14 draft. -6'4", a burly 260lbs, catches very well on the run, and has instincts for getting open.

Edited by #34fan

Maybe. -But Certainly not in an early round (1-4) To me, TE is a very utilitarian position. A guy who plays it has be able to do whatever it takes to move the chains. Finding an excellent blocking, receiving, and open-field running TE is a rare and wonderful thing. IMO, we already have those talents in Scott Chandler.

Plus, we still have Chris Gragg, and Lee Smith. I see no need to over-draft a high-profile TE prospect when this team has other glaring needs... I think If were were talking later rounds (5th, 6th) I'd be much less aprehensive about it.

Btw, I've got my eye on a TE prospect named Alex Bayer out of Bowling Green State University. Not sure where he'll be in the later rounds, but he's my very EARLY bargain-basement find of the '14 draft. -6'4", a burly 260lbs, catches very well on the run, and has instincts for getting open.

I concur with this sentiment. The Bills biggest need in the 2014 draft is offensive line. Chandler has been more than serviceable. Heck, he has only 4 less receptions than Stevie Johnson on the season at 48. The Bills just don't use the position like the Patriots or Saints do. If they did pick TE early, I would see it as wasteful when they could use upgrades at both guard positions and even right tackle. As you state, there's a lot more glaring needs.

It'd be great if we knew what we had in Tony Moeaki. Probably won't though.

I've wanted the Bills to invest in a TE for years. Much like FB after Sam Gash retired, the Bills have in recent years pretended that TE is not a position on a football team and I think that's hurt the offense.

Buffalo has a penchant for these type of things. They'll finally draft a solid, pass-catching, run-blocking TE and he'll be everything we've ever wanted, but we'll be missing a ton of other pieces for him to ever be effective. It seems like we've had great players on this team, but they all come and go at different times and we never hit a sweet spot with enough key role players in position to make a run. We retire/trade so many guys who never saw a playoff game or wasted their best years with this organization as we go through a decade rebuilding. Guys who, on almost any other team, are a major impact for their organization. Here they just peter out silently.