CJ Spiller is an Outstanding Football Player

Rob's House

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thought about drafting CJ:

It's usually described as a squandered luxury pick but I disagree. Chan had a vision of his offense that included "waterbug" RB as a key component, there wasn't one on the roster, and when one w/ freakish talent was available he pulled the trigger. Last year's production (1700+ yds from scrimmage) indicate it wasn't a bad move. It's just unfortunate that his running style isn't as good a fit in this offense.

Two separate coaching staffs have been blamed for not knowing how to use Spiller. It would seem that it's not the coaches, but rather the player after nearly 4 complete seasons in the NFL. I truly don't believe Spiller understands the pro game as much as he should in his fourth season.

When you spend the 9th overall pick on a RB, it had been be a dynamic player. Spiller is not dynamic, but of course there's always another reason why he's not succeeding.

Not Dynamic? You're serious? The guy is as dynamic as it gets, his speed is on another level.

It's usually described as a squandered luxury pick but I disagree. Chan had a vision of his offense that included "waterbug" RB as a key component, there wasn't one on the roster, and when one w/ freakish talent was available he pulled the trigger. Last year's production (1700+ yds from scrimmage) indicate it wasn't a bad move. It's just unfortunate that his running style isn't as good a fit in this offense.

Those types of players don't have to be drafted in the top 10. You can get quality 3rd down/split carry type backs in the mid rounds. If you spend that type of pick on a player he has to be an every down player. If you spend that type of pick on a RB he has to be a top flight, every down type back.

Not Dynamic? You're serious? The guy is as dynamic as it gets, his speed is on another level.

Dynamic implies that he can do close to everything you ask of a running back: make the long runs, consistently get tough yards, quickly identify and make blocks in pass protection, consistently make big plays in the passing game and have a nose for the endzone.

Just doesn't happen in A LOT of areas for CJ.

Hence.......NOT DYNAMIC.

As a tangible example, dave mcbride pointed out last week..........Fred Jackson and CJ have similar amounts of carries and ypa..........but Fred has more than twice as many first downs.

Fred Jackson doesn't offer that 50-60 yard TD ability but he is a MORE dynamic back because he can beat you in more ways. All things considered, he shouldn't be better than CJ....but he clearly is.

A convincing argument can be made that CJ is unwilling to be physical............but I think the overwhelming evidence of why CJ can't do so many things that you expect of a dynamic RB is his lack of even the modest amount of intelligence it takes to accomplish a lot of these tasks.

The past evidence of his lack of intelligence has also been touched on enough in this thread........but we saw just yesterday CJ commit an atrocious mental error at the end of the first half.......with 55,000 people looking on and expecting CJ to do the obvious thing and go to the ground inbounds to let the clock run down to 7 or 8 seconds..........but instead he sprinted out of bounds with the ball as if he was completely unaware of the situation or his job........ and gave the Dolphins almost a minute to score when a punt should have left them with no more than 5 seconds.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Those types of players don't have to be drafted in the top 10. You can get quality 3rd down/split carry type backs in the mid rounds. If you spend that type of pick on a player he has to be an every down player. If you spend that type of pick on a RB he has to be a top flight, every down type back.

I don't agree with that either. I'd say a top 10 pick needs to be an impact player, and I'd say 1700 yds from scrimmage makes an impact,

I don't agree with that either. I'd say a top 10 pick needs to be an impact player, and I'd say 1700 yds from scrimmage makes an impact,

We'll see how this season finishes but thus far he's led the Bills in rushing 1 of his 4 seasons in the league. That's not quite the impact I'd hope for with a top 10 pick.

We'll see how this season finishes but thus far he's led the Bills in rushing 1 of his 4 seasons in the league. That's not quite the impact I'd hope for with a top 10 pick.

Edited by Rob's House

......It's just unfortunate that his running style isn't as good a fit in this offense.

I'm not convinced that it isn't a good fit.....or I should say won't be a good fit. The offense has obviously been reigned back due to the lack of experience at QB that we have had this season(Hackett & Marrone have stated and implied as much many times). It has me curious to see how it would operate in regards to CJ if it was fully implemented and executed with precision.

Edited by Dibs

Last year's production (1700+ yds from scrimmage) indicate it wasn't a bad move. It's just unfortunate that his running style isn't as good a fit in this offense.

One good year doesn't make the pick worth it and in terms of this offense - CJ only led the Bills in rushing 1 year out of his first 3 in Gaily's offense. Spiller was a wasted pick, just face the facts. You don't burn high end picks on RBs unless they are Adrian Peterson type talents.

No matter your opinion I do not think CJ gets another contract from the Bills and would not be surprised to see a RB drafted in next two years.

I think that unless things dramatically change, you are correct. He would be relatively easy to replace and it would cost next to nothing.

Eddie Lacy was the 61st pick of an NFL draft. He might have actually been the first RB selected. I would MUCH rather have him on the Bills than CJ Spiller.

Some fans just don't get how special it is for a RB to have 1244 yards rushing with a 6,0 YPC average.

The thing is, Spiller didn't get those 1400 yards running up the middle over and over like Hackett is forcing him to do. CJ got those yards in a spread, passing first offense when the defense was keying on stopping the pass most of the time.

Even tho it looks like the same offense because Spiller is running from the same shotgun single back offense. Its not a 4 WR spread, which is what he got all those yards from in 2012.

Hackett runs the I formation, 2 WR set. 3 WR single back set with a TE in both sets who usually stays in to block.

Last season the O line got more credit then it deserved because Fitz was able to get the ball out so fast it negated the pass rush, and the spread allowed the RB's to break a tackle and be off to the races. This season the O line showed how bad it really is when they played teams on the road. Jets, Saints, Steelers, Bucs were all pretty much disaster games. The Bills were #7th in sacks allowed with 44, and 4th in QB hits allowed with 98 hits, only 3 teams were worse Colts, Texans, Browns.

I can see the Bills re signing CJ, and drafting a RB early to replace FJax at some point, probably in the 2015 draft. Should they choose to not resign CJ for whatever reason, I can only pray he doesn't end up in the AFC.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I pose this question: how productive do you think CJ would be under a head coach like BB or Payton? How many screen passes do you think BB would throw to him (just like he did with Faulk for a decade, especially vs. the Bills)? CJ went from being one of the rising stars in the NFL last year in Chan's offense to being an aftertought with the current offense (despite the ankle). Here's a thought that scares me: the Bills let him go, the Pats scoop him up (exactly the kind of player they look for, similar to when they picked up Antowin Smith, Corey Dillon, etc.) and he winds up haunting the Bills for 5+ years. Can't happen? I wouldn't count on it.

I've been reading a lot of nonsense about Spiller and Jackson. They are both great players in their own right and a great complement to one another. They have both played hurt this year. Especially CJ. I think he's showed tremendous heart to be out there this year. Do you realize how annoying it must have been to play with that injury and keep re-injuring it almost every game? I hope we keep them both a couple more years until the o-line and passing game can catch up a bit and maybe we can put together a winning season. UNfortunately we have had so many losing seasons we end up trashing even the players that don't deserve it. With the exception being Stevie Johnson who cost us two games by himself this year and is a head case.

The irony will be that once he is gone and playing somewhere else, some will go from ardent supporters to vocal critics.

True

Sproles didn't help Brees get a ring ?

False

I've been reading a lot of nonsense about Spiller and Jackson. They are both great players in their own right and a great complement to one another. They have both played hurt this year. Especially CJ. I think he's showed tremendous heart to be out there this year. Do you realize how annoying it must have been to play with that injury and keep re-injuring it almost every game? I hope we keep them both a couple more years until the o-line and passing game can catch up a bit and maybe we can put together a winning season. UNfortunately we have had so many losing seasons we end up trashing even the players that don't deserve it. With the exception being Stevie Johnson who cost us two games by himself this year and is a head case.

Not true, neither is a great player. Both are good, Fred is more well rounded but CJ can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. But yes, you gotta' keep your best players if you want to get better.

True

False

Not true, neither is a great player. Both are good, Fred is more well rounded but CJ can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. But yes, you gotta' keep your best players if you want to get better.

Well, I said "great players in their own right". I guess it depends upon your definition of great. Mine is they are much better than average which may be what you mean by good. I think they are winning players and not as easily replaced as some people seem to think. CJ would have looked a lot better this year without the injury. And they seem to support each other which I like. A great duo.