Colorado school shooting: Armed guards the answer?

Koko78

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect to everyone I wanted to wait until I was at a keyboard to respond with all of my nonsense. Thank you, to all of you, for replying and taking the time out of have shared your thoughts. On with the show:

20 years ago there was corporal punishment in schools and parents were far more engaged in their children's behavior. The "do gooders" all across society have ensured that the balance of power has skewed, so now schools are far more dangerous.

I'll give you that police officers aren't anywhere near perfect but there simply isn't a better alternative and "arming teachers" is an absolute no go. I'd venture to guess that a very small percentage of teachers would want that type of responsibility and there are far too many logistical issues to overcome.

If cops shot every !@#$ that acted like that towards them, the bodies would be stacked up in the streets like cord wood. Trust me.

I do not want to arm teachers, can't really show that in font. I don't think it's a good idea at all, but there are a lot of people who would say they support it. I remember quite a few cases of recent where a police officer put hands on a minor and the resulting coverage on the news. One was a girl who started attacking an officer as he was arresting her friend for drunk and disorderly. The cop turned his back to her as best he could but she got more and more in to it, punching and clawing his face. He took one swing and knocked her down and was put on desk duty.

Two rights do not make a wrong, that's how some could take it, but I just am not ready to put guns in schools on a police officer.

Cops actually have a lot more right to shoot people legally than they ever use.

If you were to compile all the incidents in this country where a cop was legally allowed to shoot someone, and all police shootings and compared them you'd come away with a statistic that cops don't shoot people.

Arming teachers is one of the stupidest ideas ever.

I was only saying that mockingly. But, I might support the idea of allowing teachers to undergo vigorous testing and whatnot to be armed in the classroom, similar to air marshal status.

gun-control-cartoon-club-knife.jpg

Maintaining schools as "gun free zones" only puts more children at risk.

An armed security guard (not teacher) is a common sense solution, only opposed by those without any.

Funny, I took it the other way. As in what right did the guy with the knife have to do any of that due to the other guy - injured or whatever - being a violent student. As in the guy was a cop and responded by stopping the student.

You din't need them twenty years ago, because then it would have been unthinkable for the unstable loners to come into the schools and shoot up the place. Even if you didn't like Mondays or wanted to get a better view from a clock tower, those events were generational aberrations not an annual occurrence.

Until everyone recognizes the mass shooters for what they are and eliminate the fuel for their desire to cause harm, you will continue with these silly debates. It was good to see media not play the Newtown 9/11 tapes and somewhat play down the anniversary. But the have to go further in tamping down coverage.

Bullies have been around for millenia, guns have been around for centuries, yet mass shootings are relatively recent. Why?

Read up on herostratic fame, and this would be a good starting point.

Read up - will do. Bullies just recently got a new status given to them by powers that be, and that is the normal he who punches last gets the wrath. He who can become the better victim gets the most attention. And, he who acts swiftly with drama gets the headline. Maybe that is all part of your point but there have been three gun related events in local schools here, one woman actually shot, and none of them have made major news. None of these stories need to make national news because it only fuels the political aspect of such a tragedy.

JBoyst's local sheriff....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13YGy8ewCw

I prefer Bufford T Justice.

Or walk in, shoot the two armed guards...

Armed "guards" in most places are like door locks. They keep honest people honest. They won't stop anyone who is determined and has any kind of weapon control.

I'd be fine with armed officers at the door with metal detectors but even then there are still more then enough cases where the security is circumvented. It doesn't get the job done well enough. This topic needs more discussion then just flat out putting more guns in to a situation to stop guns. And, I feel like a little girl for having such a liberal d-bag statement by saying that.

I guess it just boils down to stopping it at the source for me and the source is not the gun, it's the person behind it.

What?? What schools? You think civilization took a step back by not allowing teachers to beat the kids? :thumbdown:

He's a blithering idiot... You gotta ignore him. He believes Dr. Spock along w/the end of one-room schoolhouses caused the downfall of American society. He thinks his name is Mark and his father is Lucas McCain. LoL

What?? What schools? You think civilization took a step back by not allowing teachers to beat the kids? :thumbdown:

A couple of whacks across the ass in a public forum is hardly a "beating" but thanks for the standard over-emoted liberal response. Schools were safer for everyone and kids were better behaved, especially in public.

That's the thing I love about liberals. You're always willing to throw the baby out with the bath water, consequences be damned. Welcome to your dreamy new world. It's just swell.

Make sure you get all up in arms about the next school shooting when it inevitably happens. Just don't look in the mirror and realize it's jackholes like you who bear the lion's share of responsibility for it, because it goes against the self-aggrandizing you obviously need for survival.

One was a girl who started attacking an officer as he was arresting her friend for drunk and disorderly. The cop turned his back to her as best he could but she got more and more in to it, punching and clawing his face. He took one swing and knocked her down and was put on desk duty.

The only problem I see with this is the officer got desk duty. You take a swing at a cop and he puts you on the ground? No issue there - message sending is an important part of the job. Apparently our society can only handle violence when it's streaming across the idiot box.

Newsflash: There are ALREADY cops in schools all over this country and the Obama Administration just allocated additional monies to hire a whole bunch more. It's a response that's required because government at all levels has gotten too involved in the day-to-day lives of Americans. Parents and schools have both abdicated their responsibilities and now there is a very adversarial relationship, with the kids suffering and the result being a total lack of discipline.

It's "Lord of the Flies" playing out in classrooms across the country and it's not getting fixed. Remember: Gator, EII, and the rest of the whack pack are procreating at a rate far higher than the smart people. We're careening toward "Idiocracy" and there's no stopping us now.

Remember: Gator, EII, and the rest of the whack pack are procreating at a rate far higher than the smart people.

Mr.Limbaw,

To be fair, a poster of Lana Turner and some down time at the lock is not technically procreating.

Edited by 4merper4mer

The only problem I see with this is the officer got desk duty. You take a swing at a cop and he puts you on the ground? No issue there - message sending is an important part of the job. Apparently our society can only handle violence when it's streaming across the idiot box.

Newsflash: There are ALREADY cops in schools all over this country and the Obama Administration just allocated additional monies to hire a whole bunch more. It's a response that's required because government at all levels has gotten too involved in the day-to-day lives of Americans. Parents and schools have both abdicated their responsibilities and now there is a very adversarial relationship, with the kids suffering and the result being a total lack of discipline.

It's "Lord of the Flies" playing out in classrooms across the country and it's not getting fixed. Remember: Gator, EII, and the rest of the whack pack are procreating at a rate far higher than the smart people. We're careening toward "Idiocracy" and there's no stopping us now.

the only issue I take from lord of the flies is that the story never played out fairly. In the end they all wouldhhave died. They would have effectually killed themselves by killing each other and depleting the resources of man. This beyond the fact that they were all boys and that wouldn't make any babies.

In this case, however, lord of the flies is not relevant. The idiots won't simply die off like they would have millenia ago. So, the harsh evil man could say that something needs to be done to control their population and justify it by saying it is for the better society. Maybe instead of our 8th grade lit class reading Lord of the Flies we think about the Giver and that eutopia. Unfortunately, we all live in a Walter Mitty world - possibly my favorite story of all time

This is some pretty stupid chit. Kids are going wild and its the government's fault. A couple of good old spankings and no one will ever shoot anyone again. :lol:

This is some pretty stupid chit. Kids are going wild and its the government's fault. A couple of good old spankings and no one will ever shoot anyone again. :lol:

Nice try. You liberals always act all surprised when you open Pandora's box and then can't get the **** back in. But keep trying to pretend you're not the problem.

Nice try. You liberals always act all surprised when you open Pandora's box and then can't get the **** back in. But keep trying to pretend you're not the problem.

How old should a kid be before you think a spanking would not be allowed? Would you allow a 16 year old girl to be spanked by a teacher?

I swear, at this point you saying this is more cliche than me calling people idiots.

No less true, of course.

You are a total idiot.

do you actually consider corporal punishment to be akin to beating a child, or are you just in character again?

It's a fine line. One much better left to a parent than a teacher.

It's a fine line. One much better left to a parent than a teacher.

a fine line between a swat on the backside and a beating? the distinction seems pretty clear to me. one uses humiliation, the other pain and the potential for physical injury. I don't see how the two can even be compared, let alone confused.

a fine line between a swat on the backside and a beating? the distinction seems pretty clear to me. one uses humiliation, the other pain and the potential for physical injury. I don't see how the two can even be compared, let alone confused.

You are a complete moron if you think for a second a kid isn't going to start complaining he/she was hit too hard just because. Or laughing as a teacher spanks and they brag how it didn't hurt. Some humiliation! You guys thinking this is a panacea for school shootings is funny. Do you guys have kids?? I'll smack my own kids, occasionally, but a teacher hitting, slapping, humiliating my baby girl? Not going to happen!

You are a complete moron if you think for a second a kid isn't going to start complaining he/she was hit too hard just because. Or laughing as a teacher spanks and they brag how it didn't hurt. Some humiliation! You guys thinking this is a panacea for school shootings is funny. Do you guys have kids?? I'll smack my own kids, occasionally, but a teacher hitting, slapping, humiliating my baby girl? Not going to happen!

Perhaps you might wish to consider that you should raise your kids not to be jackasses.

OMG, You have progeny?

Or ignorant

Nevermind. Given who their role model is (assuming that you're even involved in their lives, which I find unlikely) your children were doomed from birth. Fortunately you have taxpayers like me to support them, and clean up your mess for you.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Nevermind. Given who their role model is (assuming that you're even involved in their lives, which I find unlikely) your children were doomed from birth. Fortunately you have taxpayers like me to support them, and clean up your mess for you.

Wow, you guys get personal real quick. Whatever dude. I guess being so ignorant makes you a little hysterical as well