Did we miss out on GM?

"Caldwell’s path took him from South Buffalo to John Carroll University in the Cleveland suburbs, where he played outside linebacker alongside fellow St. Francis alums Chris Polian and Tom Telesco.

Polian’s father, former Bills GM Bill Polian, was with the Carolina Panthers and offered Caldwell a scouting internship. Caldwell then spent 10 years with the Polians in the Indianapolis Colts’ front office and eventually became the Atlanta Falcons’ player personnel director.

Caldwell’s decisions are starting to click. His first move was to fire coach Mike Mularkey and hire extroverted Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. Observers consider Bradley a perfect match, the yin to Caldwell’s understated yang.

Caldwell had the Jaguars offices renovated to foster openness, communication and togetherness. He also changed half of Jacksonville’s roster by opening day through the draft, free agency and waiver-wire pickups.

The first thing for me was to hire a head coach. All in one day, I got hired and we let go the former coach. So we began the search for our new coach.”

What was the Jaguars’ culture when you arrived?

DC: “It needed some TLC. This was an organization that had pretty much the same front office in place for a long time. Then a new owner came in and there was some turnover. There were a lot of uncertainties. For me, I just wanted to open things up. I wanted an open-door policy. I want people to be able to walk into my office. I wanted this to be a place where family comes first.

“I had them replace the cold, dungeon doors with windows. I wanted transparency. When I interviewed here, they asked me what I thought of the facility. I said, ‘It’s made for dysfunction.’ The player personnel department was across this symbolic, rubber hallway,” a large stadium corridor. “I called it the Great Divide, with the coaching staff on the other side. The training staff was down the hall. We needed to be one. So we put everything together.

“Nobody knew what they were going to fit into. I just wanted to bring in people who would excel and run their indisputable departments as opposed to one guy overseeing three different things.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/the-education-of-an-nfl-gm-20131215?two-bills-drive

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Whaley has a good pedigree as well. He came up through the Pittsburgh organization that won 2 Super Bowls with his direct involvement in the talent that was on the roster. No he wasn't the owner, nor the GM, nor the person calling the shots, but he was out on the grind evaluating many of the players that ended up on those teams. He was their Pro Personnel Coordinator for 10 years. I think we have gotten ourselves a quality GM. In Doug we trust. :thumbsup:

Why? Would you rather have Caldwell than Whaley? I know too much about him to comment publicly on a message board. But trust me, you can rest easily on this one.

Whaley has a good pedigree as well. He came up through the Pittsburgh organization that won 2 Super Bowls with his direct involvement in the talent that was on the roster. No he wasn't the owner, nor the GM, nor the person calling the shots, but he was out on the grind evaluating many of the players that ended up on those teams. He was their Pro Personnel Coordinator for 10 years. I think we have gotten ourselves a quality GM. In Doug we trust. :thumbsup:

Exactly. D has a grand total of 1 year as Dir of PP in ATL. His Indy experience is not what you think. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I'm very happy with Whaley. He's not the problem. He's building a roster. Look at th

E last two years draft classes and his stamp is heavily on those picks. Yes, Cooter was still there, but especially last year's draft is all him. A lot of,people passed on Alonso. I can name all the others, but you know the solid picks.

"Caldwell’s path took him from South Buffalo to John Carroll University in the Cleveland suburbs, where he played outside linebacker alongside fellow St. Francis alums Chris Polian and Tom Telesco.

Polian’s father, former Bills GM Bill Polian, was with the Carolina Panthers and offered Caldwell a scouting internship. Caldwell then spent 10 years with the Polians in the Indianapolis Colts’ front office and eventually became the Atlanta Falcons’ player personnel director.

Caldwell’s decisions are starting to click. His first move was to fire coach Mike Mularkey and hire extroverted Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. Observers consider Bradley a perfect match, the yin to Caldwell’s understated yang.

Caldwell had the Jaguars offices renovated to foster openness, communication and togetherness. He also changed half of Jacksonville’s roster by opening day through the draft, free agency and waiver-wire pickups.

The first thing for me was to hire a head coach. All in one day, I got hired and we let go the former coach. So we began the search for our new coach.”

What was the Jaguars’ culture when you arrived?

DC: “It needed some TLC. This was an organization that had pretty much the same front office in place for a long time. Then a new owner came in and there was some turnover. There were a lot of uncertainties. For me, I just wanted to open things up. I wanted an open-door policy. I want people to be able to walk into my office. I wanted this to be a place where family comes first.

“I had them replace the cold, dungeon doors with windows. I wanted transparency. When I interviewed here, they asked me what I thought of the facility. I said, ‘It’s made for dysfunction.’ The player personnel department was across this symbolic, rubber hallway,” a large stadium corridor. “I called it the Great Divide, with the coaching staff on the other side. The training staff was down the hall. We needed to be one. So we put everything together.

“Nobody knew what they were going to fit into. I just wanted to bring in people who would excel and run their indisputable departments as opposed to one guy overseeing three different things.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/the-education-of-an-nfl-gm-20131215?two-bills-drive

From what I can tell Whaley has done a good job. He made a couple of good trades(Hughes and Lewis) I like the FA pickups(Lawson and Branch) and I like this draft so far. I'm very glad you don't run this team.

Why? Would you rather have Caldwell than Whaley? I know too much about him to comment publicly on a message board. But trust me, you can rest easily on this one.

Exactly. D has a grand total of 1 year as Dir of PP in ATL. His Indy experience is not what you think.

I think this is one of those either say it or don't say anything situations... Just sayin....

Quick! Call the Front Office and have them install one of these:

mercedes-benz-slk-class-rear-view-mirror-original-15884.jpg

This is very cute and all, but the fact remains that it has become Bills culture to repeatedly swing and miss on opportunities. I guess we'll have to wait to see how this plays out, but if we can learn anything from the past, this likely won't end well. Let's not forget that Whaley probably had a large say in hiring Marrone and drafting EJ, both of which are not appearing to be sound decisions.

Edited by kas23

As indicated by the original poster, BB, the approach to success is the same in the football business as it is in the world of business or any institution: everyone within the organizationworking towards the same goal and everyone made to feel a part of the mission. Instead of having a divided organization with separate layers of responsibility the best approach is breaking down the division and working in unison. Opening up the coaching side of the office to the scouting side is a departure from the "old school" approach to the more modern approach to structuring an organization.

Contrast the approach described in the Caldwell article to the Donahoe authoritarian approach to running an organization. The strongman Al Davis type approach is an outdated approach that won't work in the more complicated world of running a franchise. What I found very interesting about the quotes by the original poster is that Polian was a very modern and innovative GM. Although he was the public face of the organization he was wise enough to staff his operation with smart young talent.

I have high hopes for Whaley. He seems to be in-tune with structuring and staffing an organization the right way in order to compete. My fear is that Wilson's business model will crimp him too tightly to the point where he can't adequately do his job.

I think this is one of those either say it or don't say anything situations... Just sayin....

I said all I needed to. To answer the OP, "No." To go into detail is just inviting the posters who can't fathom that anyone on this board might have real information to criticize it, and also not necessary, IMO.

I said all I needed to. To answer the OP, "No." To go into detail is just inviting the posters who can't fathom that anyone on this board might have real information to criticize it, and also not necessary, IMO.

Instead you've invited all the criticism and distraction with the skeptics while providing none of the insightful contribution to the people that would actually read it.

It's the worst of both worlds.

I know there's not much to talk about on the board since the Bills are 4-9, but I'm wondering when we'll all eventually give this up. Football teams are not one man organizations. IMO, the most important thing a GM does is to correctly evaluate the people that he hires, and put them in the best position to be successful. Throw in some luck and a lot of hard work, and a team MIGHT be consistently successful. But the key word in my mind is "team". Everyone contributes. A GM can have the finest pedigree in the league, but if even a few people on the staff aren't 100% behind him, it won't work.

One look at the Redskins proves it. They have all the pedigree they can handle in their front office, their coaching staff and in their players. But as of right now they're not a team. Just a collection of highly paid egos who cannot function. On paper, they should be a playoff team every year.

Instead you've invited all the criticism and distraction with the skeptics while providing none of the insightful contribution to the people that would actually read it.

It's the worst of both worlds.

I'll take the high road here. No harm was intended, in fact, quite the opposite. I was providing an opinion, as all others do, and simply said it was an informed opinion. Have a great day and Go Bills.

I'll take the high road here. No harm was intended, in fact, quite the opposite. I was providing an opinion, as all others do, and simply said it was an informed opinion. Have a great day and Go Bills.

I understand the intent and wasn't bashing the goal by any means - I know you meant well - just letting you know that it often doesn't work out that way in practice/execution.