bByrd fined

bisonbrigade

The NFL has outlawed defense. Simple as that. Get used to it or watch another sport.

Sadly, this schity rules are leaching into the college and HS game. That is what really pisses me off. I could care less if the NFL ruins its product, but to ruin all of football, that's blasphemy!!!

So are you getting used to it or can we expect you starting a soccer thread?

To the last half, those are the people that need the rules the most. The kids risking their bodies without compensation. Atleast you can argue the pros know the risk and reward. 15 year old jimmy going to practice after his biology exam shouldn't be a warrior/gladiator with his future on the line just for fun.

IMO the hit started between the knees and waist. Byrd slipped down in the process of making the tackle, but, again my opinion, it started above the knees.

I paused the vid right as he hit him. Byrd's head is at Glennon's butt, his shoulder is mid thigh and his hands are wrapped around his knees. This is the type of hit that is usually deemed textbook. He wrapped him up low and hit him towards the midsection.

If this is the type of hit the NFL deems "illegal" I'm not sure what the D can do. They flag them for this type of tackle, a hand accidentally hitting the head, driving a guy to the ground, hitting anywhere near the shoulder pads and head. They expect these guys to be able to hit a perfect spot right in the midsection as 300+ pound guys are blocking them, they're trying to keep their balance and the QB is running away. It's just not possible.

He launched himself, which is illegal. That's why he got the fine.

Byrd in no way "launched" himself at Glennon. Not sure what play you were watching. Making a diving tackle != launching.

You launch to make a hit. You don't launch while making a form tackle.

Edited by Ramius

Byrd has always been a clean efficient tackler. Never an over aggressive fellow . Just plays the game as it was taught to him. Play smart . he did. I dont care where he ended up hitting dillweed he was protecting the fellow and wrapping nicely. Textbook . and a gentlemans tackle

I agree totally. This is off topic - but is he not getting as many tackles as he was the last few years? He really became a complete player a few years ago when his tackling became superb. Now I'm noticing it like I was then. Maybe he's not getting the opportunity in this D though?

I agree totally. This is off topic - but is he not getting as many tackles as he was the last few years? He really became a complete player a few years ago when his tackling became superb. Now I'm noticing it like I was then. Maybe he's not getting the opportunity in this D though?

I would guess it's the defense mostly. He runs like his feet still hurt. Seriously. he is bit slower . and he was never fast exactly

As long as he does not get blown past again like Rainey :censored: and keeps plays in front of him .

Pettines defense has caused some issues in coverage . Not sure why yet .and probably not one thing. But i would guess communication in the secondary has struggled .

Byrd is just too nice of a player to try to hurt another player. He plays finesse and smarts as compared to guy like Landry or even a Searcy who are better off hitting things .

again. the fine is over the top here. simply because this was reviewed fully by "those people " and still saw it as fine worthy.

shame shame on the NFL .

Wow, now that I've seen it, I'm amazed.....amazed that the NFL has become such a JOKE with its endless rules & restrictions on the defensive players. The only thing that actually touched the QB was Byrd's arms, and maybe a light grazing from his shoulder, and that's "roughing!?" Ray Lewis should step up & pay some of Byrd's fine too. LOL

IMHO, the future of the NFL is at stake with all of these totally ridiculous rules being put on the defense.