[OT-Jobs] Syracuse needs engineers!

Just Jack

Local competition fierce for limited number of engineers

Local competition fierce for limited number of engineers

As hundreds line up for jobs at Lockheed Martin, smaller companies may lose out.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

By Charley Hannagan

Staff writer

More than 700 people interviewed for engineering jobs at Lockheed Martin Tuesday. But good news for Lockheed could be bad news for smaller local companies.

The nationwide shortage of engineers is playing out in companies across Central New York as workers jump from one job to the next, local business people said.

Lockheed Martin, in Salina, needs 500 engineers in a variety of disciplines - right away - to handle multimillion-dollar defense contracts. Syracuse Research Corp., in Cicero, needs 150 workers, mostly engineers, for positions across the country.

--complete article at the link above--

Lockheed Martin careers page

Syracuse Research careers page

MONY careers page

InfiMed careers page

nationwide shortage eh? hopefully these jobs are still around in a year

210966[/snapback]

If your grades are good enough, you could probably find a company willing to hire you without a degree that would also pay for your schooling part-time to finish it.

Doctor offices have been doing that around here. They'll pay for a persons school, as long as that person signs an agreement to work for them for several years after graduation.

I think that option has been offered to me, but I'm guaranteed to finish my doctorate before next summer, so it's safer for me to stick it out...transferring elsewhere could lead me to be stuck without a PhD for years

as for working for a company for several years, i personally like job security, so if I liked the company, I'd like to stay with them for as long as possible