Stevie Alligator Arms

Did you happen to hear Chris Brown on the John Murphy show this morning? I know, he is, essentially, a Bills PR guy, but occaisioanlly he offers the "inside skinny" without calling it by name. Today, he was giving a strong indication that there will be a "major roster move" over the last 3 weeks of the season...he seems to think that somebody will be an "ex-Bill" very shortly. From the way he was saying it, it wasn't going to be a benching, but a cutting...don't remember his exact words, though the did say "Whaley and Marrone have indicated they will not settle for "staus quo"....winds of change are blowing at 1 Bills Drive". Most obvious thought is Stevie....

I remember when GW and TD cut Ruben Brown to prove a point. Ruben made it to a SB with the Bears......we got the turd he replaced, Chris Villarial and the two clowns that orchestrated the move got fired.

I can't even imagine what that kind of move would do to improve the team.

Face it, the organization failed this team again last offseason. No sense of urgency. There was a big job to do and they decided to take baby steps.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming it is (if it's a blockbuster cutting he seems like the most likely candidate at this point...although I'll throw Mario in as well), shall we brace for Lee Evans-like fallout? Remember how inept we were for showing that bum the door?

Will Stevie fizzle as quickly as Lee did?

Lee was all about speed, and when he lost his legs he lost the most important element of his game.

I wasn't worried about Lee's cutting coming back to haunt us. I'd be worried that cutting Stevie would make the team look stupid. But oh well. Not like it hasn't happened before.

Edited by stony

Assuming it is (if it's a blockbuster cutting he seems like the most likely candidate at this point...although I'll throw Mario in as well), shall we brace for Lee Evans-like fallout? Remember how inept we were for showing that bum the door?

Will Stevie fizzle as quickly as Lee did?

I don't think it will be player who has trade value.

Stevie has little trade value . I am not necessarily in favor of cutting anyone now. But benching Stevie should certainly be on the table. Much as we need to see if EJ shows anything positive in the remaining games, we also need to know how much Stevie's absence will hurt the Bills. Based on some games this season, my guess is that the fall off will be minimal.

I remember when GW and TD cut Ruben Brown to prove a point. Ruben made it to a SB with the Bears......we got the turd he replaced, Chris Villarial and the two clowns that orchestrated the move got fired.

I can't even imagine what that kind of move would do to improve the team.

Face it, the organization failed this team again last offseason. No sense of urgency. There was a big job to do and they decided to take baby steps.

Greggo didn't cut Ruben. He benched him for the end of the season. Mularkey then demurred to TD about bringing him back because he didn't want such a vocal vet on the team.

OBD has surely attracted deep thinkers in its history.

Did you happen to hear Chris Brown on the John Murphy show this morning? I know, he is, essentially, a Bills PR guy, but occaisioanlly he offers the "inside skinny" without calling it by name. Today, he was giving a strong indication that there will be a "major roster move" over the last 3 weeks of the season...he seems to think that somebody will be an "ex-Bill" very shortly. From the way he was saying it, it wasn't going to be a benching, but a cutting...don't remember his exact words, though the did say "Whaley and Marrone have indicated they will not settle for "staus quo"....winds of change are blowing at 1 Bills Drive". Most obvious thought is Stevie....

Yep. They didn't draft him, the big money has been paid out the cap hit is relatively small. He obviously does not have the physique, the work ethic or the desire to be a slot guy .. injury prone and too big a target… has made his $$ and now is just trying to avoid a career ending injury. Playing like a guy with a family, which he is. Who knows? Bills are mailing it in at this point. This is just like preseason, with guys getting cut and new guys getting a look. They are back to building a team and less interested in winning at all costs.

Edited by 8and8Forever

He said he wasn't going to comment on it, and it was early in the game anyway so "that don't really matter."

Next time he catches a first-quarter TD I want someone to tell him "that don't really matter."

The most frustrating part - I want to say there must be more to it.... But that sounds totally expected.

The premise is that it will be a 'major' roster move. Cuttting TJ won't qualify.

TJ is the single worst player with the most time on the field. It would be MAJOR because he gets more snaps than CJ and close to what SJ gets. Maybe he can switch to safety like George Wilson (but of course he's too weak to play D).

He's really engaging on Twitter.

Not really

Lee was all about speed, and when he lost his legs he lost the most important element of his game.

I wasn't worried about Lee's cutting coming back to haunt us. I'd be worried that cutting Stevie would make the team look stupid. But oh well. Not like it hasn't happened before.

I think his play along with his contract already makes us look stupid, but I would trade him to the NFC vs. cutting him and letting an AFCE team pick him up.

Stevie is a really good receiver. Lee Evans was also.

TJ Graham is a useful piece in a good offense too. He's always getting separation downfield for anyone who's been to a game or seen the all 22 video.

The problem lies with the pile of burning dog excrement the Bills have had at QB for the last decade. Some people make it out to be more than that because they either don't understand football or they just don't like the guy but it really isn't all that complicated.

Pretty sure everyone would agree that Larry Fitzgerald is one of the best receivers in the game. Look at his stats over the past 5 years ever since Kurt Warner retired. Other than 2011, they're very similar to Stevie's.

The Bills have talent at most positions except for the one that matters the most. Fix that, and everything else falls into place.

Edited by QB Bills

Start watching at 1:09. Stevie is gonna get HAMMERED if he catches it. I have no doubt that he short-armed that one on purpose.

Ayup.

Not letting Stevie off the hook, but EJ hung him out to dry there.

I agree that would be the most obvious choice, except for his contract situation. Cutting SJ now would land us with an additional $8.475M dead cap hit for next season. It makes more sense to me to simply keep him for an additional year, but not as the #1WR.

It would be a hell of a gutsy move to make though. If it happens, I'm sure there would be plenty of fans wailing about the bad decision to give him the contract in the first place......but it certainly would make a massive statement that this is a totally new regime that is going to endure some hardships in the short term to get the ship righted for the long term.

I'm now eagerly waiting to see just what Brown was referring to....

Edited by Dibs

I agree that would be the most obvious choice, except for his contract situation. Cutting SJ now would land us with an additional $8.475M dead cap hit for next season. It makes more sense to me to simply keep him for an additional year, but not as the #1WR.

It would be a hell of a gutsy move to make though. If it happens, I'm sure there would be plenty of fans wailing about the bad decision to give him the contract in the first place......but it certainly would make a massive statement that this is a totally new regime that is going to endure some hardships in the short term to get the ship righted for the long term.

I'm now eagerly waiting to see just what Brown was referring to....

I don't see them cutting Johnson, but the dead money is irrelevant given that the Bills operate way under the cap anyway.

His quote about it not mattering is being blown way out of proportion. He seemed to mean that they had chances to overcome mistakes like that but never did. He is a good, not great receiver, and lots of teams would like to have him. He just isn't a number 1 receiver.

I don't blame him for short-arming that pass. It would be foolish to risk your body at this point. EJM is gonna get a receiver paralyzed if he doesn't improve his ball placement.

BULL.

Easy to say, but then you aren't the one absorbing the hit.