NFL Bans Pro-Gun Commercial

dayman

Honestly, political affiliation aside....if I ran the NFL (being the all powerful, appeal to everyone machine it is) I would outlaw this commercial too. Along with every other conservative, liberal, religious, etc commercial. Keep it to beer, movies, online dating sites, etc....SB is a party no need to bum anyone out and drag a loaded conversation in. Just my opinion.

While I agree (somewhat) with the idea of keeping message commercials out of the Super Bowl, the NFL really seems to be bending over backwards to make this innocuous ad fit their "policy"

There isn’t a single gun shown or even mentioned during the course of the advertisement. (Though it’s certainly implied.) There is a logo which contains the outline of a gun at the closing, but I read that Daniel Defense offered the NFL a second option where that logo would be replaced with a US flag and the phrase, “Shall not be infringed.” That offer was also rejected out of hand.

You can read the NFL’s prohibited advertising category rules here, and if you do you’ll see that it’s dubious at best as to whether either form of this advertisement violates them. It’s hard to say if this is something entirely new for the league or just a new, “play it safe” interpretation of existing rules as they come under the watchful eye of the Bubble Wrap Society Brigade more and more during the head injury debate.

Honestly, political affiliation aside....if I ran the NFL (being the all powerful, appeal to everyone machine it is) I would outlaw this commercial too. Along with every other conservative, liberal, religious, etc commercial. Keep it to beer, movies, online dating sites, etc....SB is a party no need to bum anyone out and drag a loaded conversation in. Just my opinion.

The guy did a great job there in that piece.

The NFL is really making me sick and it's just hard to watch recently. I gave up on college football a decade ago when it became ESPN/TV exposure and lovefest to the sponsorship deals and the NCAA whoring itself out to anyone.

Remember one of last year's Super Bowl most heralded and talked about ads was Dodge/ Paul Harvey (And God Made a Farmer)

We can't have a repeat of that "horrible" event......................lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFnSGiM5H34

I liked what they pretended to do there but I hated that commercial. I had heard it a million times, well maybe a hundred, but when you prostitalize a group in such a way that you build up a common man to be a hero to sell your **** pandering to a dull public who believes its that easy. It !@#$ing ain't. Spend more then time and energy trying to keep a calf alive long enough to just make it a little more when it is going to die anyway, or having a breakdown on a field you're plowing after 11 hours and only halfway done to wonder if you have the money to fix it, or just flat out being a person and friend and have a family...farming is hard. But so is life.

Dodge sucks.

I liked what they pretended to do there but I hated that commercial. I had heard it a million times, well maybe a hundred, but when you prostitalize a group in such a way that you build up a common man to be a hero to sell your **** pandering to a dull public who believes its that easy. It !@#$ing ain't. Spend more then time and energy trying to keep a calf alive long enough to just make it a little more when it is going to die anyway, or having a breakdown on a field you're plowing after 11 hours and only halfway done to wonder if you have the money to fix it, or just flat out being a person and friend and have a family...farming is hard. But so is life.

Dodge sucks.

Hey Buddy, you need a day a day or two off.

This kinda reminds me of the A&E producers trying to tone down the Robertsons in duck dynasty talking about god and guns. Old man phil said if that is the case they will just stop filming the show.

I think part if the reason duck dynasty has grown in popularity so much is they embrace who they are and are not embarrassed to show it. There are millions or regular every day Americans who love their family, God, guns and freedoms snd identity with the show

The ironic thing is I would wager the majority of football fans that support the nfl are in fact pro gun so I don't understand why the nfl wants to push an agenda

The ironic thing is I would wager the majority of football fans that support the nfl are in fact pro gun so I don't understand why the nfl wants to push an agenda

Is it so much pushing an agenda rather than trying (and failing) to avoid any semblance of controversy after taking a black eye with the whole concussion/"League of Denial" thing?

I hate the banning of any posters...I mean speech. But the NFL is an entertainment business and if they think it takes away from their product they have a right, but an anti-abortion commercial wouldn't bother me any more than those crazy anti smoking commercials do.

Edited by gatorman

I hate the banning of any posters...I mean speech. But the NFL is an entertainment business and if they think it takes away from their product they have a right, but an anti-abortion commercial wouldn't bother me any more than those crazy anti smoking commercials do.