Irony Kills

stevestojan

In a column written for the Daily Nebraskan in September, Derek attacked seat belt laws as intrusions on individual liberties and expensive to enforce.

"It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take," he wrote.

"There seems to be a die-hard group of non-wearers out there who simply do not wish to buckle up no matter what the government does. I belong to this group."

People sometimes take the most misguided stands on things. Thankfully most of the time they don't cause your death - it's a waste to die for such a foolish reason when he had so much going for him.

Natural selection at work.  I agree with his stance and wish the government would drop the rule for those old enough to vote.  Let nature do her business.

210542[/snapback]

In FLA, you don't have to wear your seatbelt... well, you can't get pulled over for it..

You can get a seatbelt ticket, but you had to have been first pulled over for something else.

Not true, if they see you not wearing your seatbelt, they can pull you over.

210564[/snapback]

Not true. They can't.

Its all over the news. They are trying to chance the law. As of now, you can NOT be pulled over in Florida for the SOLE reason of not wearing your seatbelt. ...

Chance?

Well, if they're trying to change the law, what does that mean. Look it up.

I have plenty of friends that are police officers, why would they lie?

210590[/snapback]

Yes. They are trying to change the law so that YOU CAN get pulled over for simply not wearing your seat belt. As it stands now, you can NOT get pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt.

If you are speeding, and get pulled over, and were not wearing your seat belt, you can get a speeding ticket and a seatbelt ticket.

But if you are not breaking any other laws, you CANNOT get pulled over.

Dude, there are radio and TV commercials on here ALL the time about people trying to change that law...

Why would I just make this up?

EXACTLY!

It's against the law, BUT AS IT STANDS NOW, YOU CANNOT GET PULLED OVER FOR NOT WEARING YOUR SEAT BELT.

Am I not making this clear enough?

By the way, your link again proves what I was saying:

"enforcement of this section by state or local law enforcement agencies must be accomplished only as a secondary action when a driver of a motor vehicle has been detained for a suspected violation of another section of this chapter, chapter 320, or chapter 322."

Nice.

Very, very nice.

You lose an argument and THAT'S what you resort to?

Nevermind. You're right. If I get pulled over in FLA and a cop says "do you know why i pulled you over" he can say "because you weren't wearing your seat belt".  Just like in NYS. Oh wait, no they can't.

But you have cop buddies. I bow to you.

By the way, can i use " So while your sucking BFs dick tonight, make sure you wear your seat belt. " in my signature and quote you with it? Yeah, I think i will... size 10 font should do....

210659[/snapback]

Actually, they can. But it'll get thrown out.

Of course, they can always say they pulled you over because they thought you might be DUI...and oh, by the way, you're not wearing your seat belt, here's your ticket. That'll stick, since the seat belt violation isn't predicated on the conviction of the primary violation, merely the enforcement of it. The bottom line is: cops can pretty much select what they enforce, regardless of what the statutes say. The law's a lot more flexible outside the courtroom...

Oh, by the way...you're still an idiot. :D

And as for the original article...I don't believe that people should be legislatively prevented from killing themselves by being forced to wear a seat belt. The kid didn't believe in being forced to wear his seat belt, and didn't...I can respect that. The kid died for it...hey, sometimes you rolls the dice and takes your chances.

Probably not enough.  I know I don't unless it's a shoulder harness...

I don't and I'm sure most people don't. Not saying it's right, just that that's the way it is. And even though I support the seat belt law, I wouldn't have worn a seat belt in that car, been thrown from it, and thus killed, so it's not so much irony as being in the wrong part of the car, and the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't and I'm sure most people don't.  Not saying it's right, just that that's the way it is.  And even though I support the seat belt law, I wouldn't have worn a seat belt in that car, been thrown from it, and thus killed, so it's not so much irony as being in the wrong part of the car, and the wrong place at the wrong time.

210691[/snapback]

Count me and mine among those that wear the belt in the back seat.

Actually, they can.  But it'll get thrown out. 

Of course, they can always say they pulled you over because they thought you might be DUI...and oh, by the way, you're not wearing your seat belt, here's your ticket.  That'll stick, since the seat belt violation isn't predicated on the conviction of the primary violation, merely the enforcement of it.  The bottom line is: cops can pretty much select what they enforce, regardless of what the statutes say.  The law's a lot more flexible outside the courtroom...

210674[/snapback]

Well, of course... but "technically" they can't pull you over JUUUUST for not wearing the belt.

The "techinically" part is what gets ya...

Like you said "the seat belt violation isn't predicated on the conviction of the primary violation, merely the enforcement of it" .

Very true. And if he pulls you over for DUI with NO reason to do it, and nails ya with seatbelt, it then goes to court, etc, etc, etc...

I know most cops WILL, its just technically, they aren't supposed to (for the sole reason of you not wearing the belt).

Oh, and :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

:D

Natural selection at work.  I agree with his stance and wish the government would drop the rule for those old enough to vote.  Let nature do her business.

210542[/snapback]

That's the way it is in New Hampshire. Seat Belts, and even helmets for bikers, are optional over 18. You want to split your coconut? It's your choice.

PTR

That's the way it is in New Hampshire.  Seat Belts, and even helmets for bikers, are optional over 18.  You want to split your coconut?  It's your choice.

PTR

210982[/snapback]

Works for me. I don't believe in protecting people from themselves...