The Clash

HOF

Since music threads are, apprently, allowed.....were there any fans of The Clash, The Dammed, etc. in Western NY around 1980??? How aboyt Morrissey, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.???

210459[/snapback]

I was into 60's garage band so punks like the Clash suited me just fine. Saw them warm up for the Who in 1984 and they were great!

I liked the Fugs, Big Brother, the Blue Cheer, the MC5, Grand Funk Railroad (as opposed to Grand Funk pop), Electric Prunes, Vanilla Fudge, Them, Amboy Dukes, Rotary Connection, the Mothers of Invention, Blues Magoos, the Jefferson AIRPLANE....

If 6 Was 9
speaks to my mood in 1970; by 1980 I was already getting into 60's retro.

saw the clash play rich stadium with the who in 82/83, awesome, loved the smiths and morrisey

Since music threads are, apprently, allowed.....were there any fans of The Clash, The Dammed, etc. in Western NY around 1980??? How aboyt Morrissey, The Cure, The Smiths, etc.???

210459[/snapback]

210459[/snapback]

Great show - The Clash and David Johansen opening for the Who at Rich Stadium (October '82). When The Clash played we were standing at about the 40 yard line and the whole crowd was moving. It was strange to see them in such a large stadium but they pulled it off. The good old days... :D

210459[/snapback]

One of my all time favorite concerts was in 1982 in Philadelphia, The Quess Who, The Clash, Santana and The Who. What a kick ass show!

I was into 60's garage band so punks like the Clash suited me just fine. Saw them warm up for the Who in 1984 and they were great!

I liked the Fugs, Big Brother, the Blue Cheer, the MC5, Grand Funk Railroad (as opposed to Grand Funk pop), Electric Prunes, Vanilla Fudge, Them, Amboy Dukes, Rotary Connection, the Mothers of Invention, Blues Magoos, the Jefferson AIRPLANE....

speaks to my mood in 1970; by 1980 I was already getting into 60's retro.

210479[/snapback]

Wer're they better on LSD???

Great show - The Clash and David Johansen opening for the Who at Rich Stadium (October '82). When The Clash played we were standing at about the 40 yard line and the whole crowd was moving. It was strange to see them in such a large stadium but they pulled it off.  The good old days... :D

210501[/snapback]

That was such a great ear for pop music! I am old!

saw the clash play rich stadium with the who in 82/83, awesome, loved the smiths and morrisey

210492[/snapback]

If you loved Morrissey then you msut be "sensitive" enough to know that Drew is misunderstood!

Saw the Clash open for the Who in Shea Stadium in Fall of 82. Every time a plane came out of Laguardia it drowned out the bands.

What a night all around. My college roomate got lost while tripping. Took us forever to find the car after we found him. Then drove the wrong way on the Cross Bronx before we figured out why the road signs were blue (we were in Connecticut!) Got back to Albany at 8 AM.

Consequently failed my marketing test at 10! Frickin marketing!?!

Sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive.

Speaking of music in WNY in 1980. Here's a little known bit of trivia.

An unknown band by the name of U2 played at a bar in Cheektowaga called Uncle Sam's. There were 17 people at the show. The date? Monday, October 8, 1980. The same night John Lennon was shot.

An unknown band by the name of U2 played at a bar in Cheektowaga called Uncle Sam's. There were 17 people at the show. The date? Monday, October 8, 1980. The same night John Lennon was shot.

210697[/snapback]

I was there. No lie. Talas, with Bill Sheehan, came on after.

I was there. No lie. Talas, with Bill Sheehan, came on after.

210728[/snapback]

Saw U@, i guess about two years later at Sheas. Awesome. I have not lived in Buffalo since 81, but heard that was the last "rock show: there. Something about the balcony moving.

Saw U@, i guess about two years later at Sheas. Awesome. I have not lived in Buffalo since 81, but heard that was the last "rock show: there. Something about the balcony moving.

210825[/snapback]

Yup. I sat up top. The War tour. Bono carryong the flag around was a little much.

210479[/snapback]

I was pissed.. That was the concert where they played maybe 3 songs then left over some behind the scene's issue...

Wer're they better on LSD???

210565[/snapback]

No LSD was better with more mellow stuff, like Pink Floyd's dirge "Ummagumma", Hot Tuna, Taj Mahal, David Bromberg, The Band or funny stuff like Firesign Theatre or Cheech and Chong "Parlez-vous Humma-Humma?".

Acid Rock was not for acid users.

210697[/snapback]

Along that line, about 1973 or so I saw Aerosmith at the college ballroom in SUNY Geneseo, capacity maybe 500. Cost with student ID was 75 cents. :D

Sept. 1982, opening for The Who at our beloved football stadium. Many of us were there.  :D

210495[/snapback]

Thanks for correcting me on the date. That was the show I went to. The freaky part was that when Daltrey started belting out "Love, reign o'er me" it stated to rain. Gave me goosebumps!