Starting our own tradition

fridge

This is our sixth new coaching regime since Levy. We usually hate the hiring because it's not a household name coach, but they say enough things that we eventually come around (except for maybe Jauron). We're starting to put together a new tradition. It goes as follows:

1. Fire old coach

2. Hate new coach

3. Buy into new coach

4. Question new coach

5. Have hope for new coach when they get close to a run

6. Want the head of new coach till he becomes old coach

I think right now is the quintessential step 4. Between now and next season, we're all going to have our Marrone doubts. Inevitably, there will be one moment between now and his token three years, where we all have a little faith. There seems to be one moment all these coaches get where there is actual hope:

Wade Philips - Actually led us to the playoffs

Gregg Williams - Had that first Beldsoe season

Mike Mularky - Had that last Bledsoe season (infamous Steelers third stringer loss)

Dick Jauron - Had that improbable 5-1 start in 2008

Chan Gailey - Comeback wins against OAK, NE and 4-1 start

Here's what is on all of our minds right now:

Do you think Marrone has what it takes to buck tradition? Or, do you think when he gets his little glimmer of hope (be it next year or the year after) will he choke like the rest?

This is our sixth new coaching regime since Levy. We usually hate the hiring because it's not a household name coach, but they say enough things that we eventually come around (except for maybe Jauron). We're starting to put together a new tradition. It goes as follows:

1. Fire old coach

2. Hate new coach

3. Buy into new coach

4. Question new coach

I think right now is the quintessential step 4. Between now and next season, we're all going to have our Marrone doubts. Inevitably, there will be one moment between now and his token three years, where we all have a little faith. There seems to be one moment all these coaches get where there is actual hope:

Mike Mularky - Had that last Bledsoe season (infamous Steelers third stringer loss)

Do you think Marrone has what it takes to buck tradition? Or, do you think when he gets his little glimmer of hope (be it next year or the year after) will he choke like the rest?

If we (players and fans) are already questioning the staff, it's over. But we aren't, because it's their first season.

If we (players and fans) are already questioning the staff, it's over. But we aren't, because it's their first season.

I agree that because it's their first season they shouldn't be questioned. If this was our first time going through this I wouldn't consider it. I'm questioning them because there's been 5 previous examples that follow a similar trajectory that I can't easily ignore.

Do you think Marrone can get us over the hump when his team goes on a run like it probably will either next year or the year after? I'm not so sure anything is different.

I will say Marrone has made us more competitive on a game to game basis. You can see it in the yardage totals. We were routinely dominated in total yardage under our past regimes - often even in the games we won. We are now able to play almost every team pretty much straight up - it's just a play or two here (or a too conservative playcalling stretch) that is keeping us from reaching our potential. Ignoring our loser history, I would say that this is a team that is on the rise and only a year or player away from being a legitimate playoff team. It's not like under Jauron or Gailey, where it was a 50/50 proposition that we'd be butt-raped by our opponent on any given Sunday. Now I fully expect us to have a chance at victory every week, even against "elite" opponents.

No, I'm done with Marrone after the Pittsburgh game.

Just another crony hire that will play nice with the real people in charge.

I suspect that you're a bit early to literally be done with him, but I think that this is how it works. We start to lose games in both gut-wrenching fashion like yesterday, or in pathetic fashion like the Pittsburgh game and slowly the coach loses respect by fans game-by-game until year three comes around and a majority want him gone.

1. Fire old coach

2. Hate new coach

3. Buy into new coach

4. Question new coach

I don't think this generally happens right after the hire. Even for Gailey, who had no history at all of being a winner as a HC, most of the talk here was how the Bills did great and how firing Gailey was Jerrahs biggest mistake and so on. If you eliminate #2 I think you are spot on though.

I don't think this generally happens right after the hire. Even for Gailey, who had no history at all of being a winner as a HC, most of the talk here was how the Bills did great and how firing Gailey was Jerrahs biggest mistake and so on. If you eliminate #2 I think you are spot on though.

You're probably right. It's more like they hire a guy that most fans weren't considering, which never rests will initially. We still buy into them quickly.

1. Fire old coach

2. Hate new coach

3. Buy into new coach

4. Question new coach

Coaching is NOT the issue ! . . . GM is NOT the issue ! . . . the issue is Russ Brandon !! ---- leaving $20M in unspent cap in 2013 is criminal -- renewing the Toronto series is criminal . . . . the fact that he self-proclaims himself to be a "marketing genius" and gets others to use that label is a joke !! ----- you want real change for this franchise, focus on WINNING and not PROFITS --- that is at the root of every evil --- I actually think we have decent coaches and a up and coming GM --- but they will get their a$$es handed to them in this league when they are working for a president that puts profits ahead of winning ----

Let's be honest though, we didn't start loving Gailey until 2011. We may have bought in, but once we had a couple miracle Brady/Manning comeback games is when we got really high on the guy.

Let's be honest though, we didn't start loving Gailey until 2011. We may have bought in, but once we had a couple miracle Brady/Manning comeback games is when we got really high on the guy.

Which is the whole point of this thread essentially. Even a guy that we mostly initially questioned/hated like Gailey - He STILL gave us a little run at some point that put our hopes real high.

What will happen when Marrone gets to that point? Is he any different? Will he be able to

I will say Marrone has made us more competitive on a game to game basis. You can see it in the yardage totals. We were routinely dominated in total yardage under our past regimes - often even in the games we won. We are now able to play almost every team pretty much straight up - it's just a play or two here (or a too conservative playcalling stretch) that is keeping us from reaching our potential. Ignoring our loser history, I would say that this is a team that is on the rise and only a year or player away from being a legitimate playoff team. It's not like under Jauron or Gailey, where it was a 50/50 proposition that we'd be butt-raped by our opponent on any given Sunday. Now I fully expect us to have a chance at victory every week, even against "elite" opponents.

One of the smarter posts I've seen on here in a while.

1. Fire old coach

2. Hate new coach

3. Buy into new coach

4. Question new coach

I think he's a good coach. Problem is the Talent on the field. Everyone's gotta play better and we have to have a great 2014 Draft to be successful.