Train derails killing 4 and injuring 60+ in metro NYC

BuffaloBill

Anyone who's familiar with that spot would have immediately guessed that the engineer either fell asleep, was texting or was distracted by something else because it looked like the train hit that 90 degree turn at very high speed.

Sure enough, train was going 82MPH at the turn.

Anyone who's familiar with that spot would have immediately guessed that the engineer either fell asleep, was texting or was distracted by something else because it looked like the train hit that 90 degree turn at very high speed.

Sure enough, train was going 82MPH at the turn.

If the operator's story (which should be very much called into question) is true that was the result of mechanical failure. But you're right. That would be a wicked turn at 50 MPH let alone 82.

Is it too soon to ask if they're renaming that line the "Geno Smith?"

Poor taste. Making fun of the train derailment really trivializes the countless Geno related suicides and the untold suffering which has taken place over the past 4 weeks in which Geno has completed less than 10 passes per game, thrown for 0 TDs and tossed 6 INTs.

If anything call it the Testaverde line cause, eh, it could've been worse.

Edited by Jauronimo

Poor taste. Making fun of the train derailment really trivializes the countless Geno related suicides and the untold suffering which has taken place over the past 4 weeks in which Geno has completed less than 10 passes per game, thrown for 0 TDs and tossed 6 INTs.

If anything call it the Testaverde line cause, eh, it could've been worse.

You complete me. :wub:

If the operator's story (which should be very much called into question) is true that was the result of mechanical failure. But you're right. That would be a wicked turn at 50 MPH let alone 82.

Wouldn't it NOT all be left up to the operator... Especially in today's tech operated world. I find it hard to believe that it is all controlled by th operator... Heck, even my son's 13 year old Lionel train has "speed control!" That whole line is analyzed and knows every turn and how fast to take it.

With the speed control, don't they just set it and go?

Not necessarily... I know here in Philly...SEPTA shares the lines with Amtrak and the trains are always slowing down or stopping to allow the Amtrak trains to pass by...the operators have yo be able to control the speed

Wouldn't it NOT all be left up to the operator... Especially in today's tech operated world. I find it hard to believe that it is all controlled by th operator... Heck, even my son's 13 year old Lionel train has "speed control!" That whole line is analyzed and knows every turn and how fast to take it.

With the speed control, don't they just set it and go?

Not necessarily... I know here in Philly...SEPTA shares the lines with Amtrak and the trains are always slowing down or stopping to allow the Amtrak trains to pass by...the operators have yo be able to control the speed

Controlling speed is understandable. But I can't believe there aren't any safeguards that would prevent a train from approaching a turn at too high of speed. Isn't this the exact same thing that happened in Spain?? You (not you, personally, Pooj) can't tell me that there isn't technology that would prevent this from happening.

Controlling speed is understandable. But I can't believe there aren't any safeguards that would prevent a train from approaching a turn at too high of speed. Isn't this the exact same thing that happened in Spain?? You (not you, personally, Pooj) can't tell me that there isn't technology that would prevent this from happening.

This is in the works for Metro North. Unfortunately the system is scheduled to be in place by 2015.

yeah i was simply replying to EiL who was saying he couldn't believe it was fully automated...granted i don't think SEPTA ever exceeds 40MPH, whereas the Metro North has speed limits of 70, so it's a whole different animal i guess...regardless it is a very sad thing and probably very preventable...

yeah i was simply replying to EiL who was saying he couldn't believe it was fully automated...granted i don't think SEPTA ever exceeds 40MPH, whereas the Metro North has speed limits of 70, so it's a whole different animal i guess...regardless it is a very sad thing and probably very preventable...

No. NOT fully automated. Sorry, if I confused things w/the "set it and go comment." Once the train is cleared by dispatch/signal... Why can't it be a system like that Lionel train? LoL... Bump it to speed and then the system analyzes the curve (not really how the speed control on the model trains motor works though) The train is already cleared. Did I hear right that this was the guy's first day on the job! Did he panic and "pop the clutch?" Oh my!

There are safeguards... Shocking that they aren't in place yet!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Did I hear right that this was the guy's first day on the job! Did he panic and "pop the clutch?" Oh my!

You heard wrong....

A spokeswoman for Metro-North said the engineer, identified as William Rockefeller of Germantown, N.Y., had about 14 years' experience with the line.

I wonder if he works shift work too?

It is easy to do. I work one week of day shift, then go to one week of afternoons, then go to one week of midnights and then back to day shift... Been doing it for 20+ years... My sleep pattern in is all jacked up.

Anyway... WTF is up with this... This is what I was mentioning. It is 2013!

"The train might have benefited from a Positive Train Control (PTC) system to stop or slow a speeding train, Weener said.

"For more than 20 years, the NTSB has recommended implementation" of PTC, Weener said. "Since this is a derailment, it's possible that PTC could have prevented it."

Railroad experts have been advocating for PTC systems for years, but they are expensive and complicated and often incompatible for all trains within a single transit system."

I wonder if he works shift work too?

It is easy to do. I work one week of day shift, then go to one week of afternoons, then go to one week of midnights and then back to day shift... Been doing it for 20+ years... My sleep pattern in is all jacked up.

Anyway... WTF is up with this... This is what I was mentioning. It is 2013!

"The train might have benefited from a Positive Train Control (PTC) system to stop or slow a speeding train, Weener said.

"For more than 20 years, the NTSB has recommended implementation" of PTC, Weener said. "Since this is a derailment, it's possible that PTC could have prevented it."

Railroad experts have been advocating for PTC systems for years, but they are expensive and complicated and often incompatible for all trains within a single transit system."

I know there are laws that dictate how many consecutive road hours truck drivers put in. I wonder if that's the same for trains (or planes, for that matter).

Obviously it pales in comparison to the four people who lost their lives, and any others who may have suffered life-changing injuries, but I do feel bad for this guy - his life is effectively ruined by a single case of the kind of doziness I think every one of us has felt at some point.