RIP Willis Ware - predicted computer use and invasion of privacy

Turning on a computer is like opening a window or a door. Tell me again where the "invasion" takes place? Stop using computers if one wants to "draw the blinds."

Everything in life has its drawbacks. Just imagine what a bigger hell hole life would be if people were allowed to run truly private" in all aspects of their computing.

Just saying...

Turning on a computer is like opening a window or a door. Tell me again where the "invasion" takes place? Stop using computers if one wants to "draw the blinds."

Everything in life has its drawbacks. Just imagine what a bigger hell hole life would be if people were allowed to run truly private" in all aspects of their computing.

Just saying...

You're an idiot. It's possible to use a computer privately - I've got one here that no one can see the data on. It's not on the internet. Turning it on doesn't "open any doors."

On the other hand, it's not possible to use a credit card, buy a car, hold a job, pay taxes, or see a doctor with any expectation of privacy.

You're an idiot. It's possible to use a computer privately - I've got one here that no one can see the data on. It's not on the internet. Turning it on doesn't "open any doors."

On the other hand, it's not possible to use a credit card, buy a car, hold a job, pay taxes, or see a doctor with any expectation of privacy.

Really, no sh*t? You have a non-network computer that is totally private? No way!

Hook line and sinker! :wallbash: :wallbash:

At least no one has to show ID in order to vote - at least in the southern states.

And they killed him for speaking up?

Yes. But malware, software, and hardware were all named in hizzhonor.

So he lives with the eternals like Gandolf and Frodo.

Wait... there are other uses for a computer that doesn't require the internet?

Does that mean that you print out everything you do on real paper to show people?

Obituary:

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-willis-ware-20131130,0,3253770.story

Paper that he wrote 40 years ago, predicting the use of information by government to invade people's lives:

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/papers/2008/P5077.pdf

Interesting take on how well he envisioned the future....

It is also interesting to see just how far back "computers" go. Hard to put that early equipment in the same category as modern technology. Like saying a horse drawn carriage is the same as a car. No doubt one helped to bring the other about but to say they are the same is highly debatable.