List of best safeties in the game

Of course, Jairus Byrd is listed in the "Top Shelf" group of safeties in the game and Aaron Williams is listed in the "Best of the Rest" group. Nice to see two Bills make the list. Williams has really come along this year, finally playing his natural position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289608/article/earl-thomas-jairus-byrd-top-list-of-nfls-best-safeties

Of course, Jairus Byrd is listed in the "Top Shelf" group of safeties in the game and Aaron Williams is listed in the "Best of the Rest" group. Nice to see two Bills make the list. Williams has really come along this year, finally playing his natural position.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000289608/article/earl-thomas-jairus-byrd-top-list-of-nfls-best-safeties

Williams will likely appear in the list right below Byrd next year...he is going to be a really good safety with more experience...he has the natural instincts of a safety not a corner and is one of the big reasons why the Bills are third in the NFL at defending TE's...

Williams will likely appear in the list right below Byrd next year...he is going to be a really good safety with more experience...he has the natural instincts of a safety not a corner and is one of the big reasons why the Bills are third in the NFL at defending TE's...

Yea he really is turning out to be a good second rd pick for us. He also hits hard and has good ball skills. This Bills team is really talented in a number of different spots. I feel like among all of these teams bunched up for the last wildcard spot that Buffalo has more talent than just about all of them

His versatility (as evidenced by his ability to step in at CB when Leodis and Gilmore were out) is a valuable trait. He's playing good ball.

Williams needs to thank Pettine for resurrecting his career. He was on his last leg as a CB, and now we have an excellent safety with good skills, strength, and can shift to CB temporarily when we have injuries. We also have a lot of depth at safety with our recent drafts beyond Byrd, Searcy, Williams, and th newbies. Nice to have depth at one position. Now just draft a stud cover CB and we are set in the secondary (as long as we sign JB to a long term deal). As good as this defense will look with upcoming oponnents to finish the year. Next year we will be that dominant defense.

His versatility (as evidenced by his ability to step in at CB when Leodis and Gilmore were out) is a valuable trait. He's playing good ball.

AW is toast at CB. Last year ranked 96 of 98 CB's. Not enough plays this year at CB but I don't believe 2013 is any better when he is at CB. http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2012&pos=CB&season=reg

http://www.nfl.com/n...s-best-safeties

:nana: ---------------> http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/163755-who-wants-to-apologize-to-jairus-byrd/page__st__200#entry2988546

I've been on the "let Byrd walk/trade him" train for a while, but the needle is strongly pointed back the other way. I'm not willing to even consider making him the highest paid safety in the league, but I would be willing to give him a fat contract.

The "best of the rest" group isn't even a compliment. It should just be titled "the rest" because there's 29 guys before that and then there are 20 in that group. So it makes 49 which is basically enough to say they included everybody that starts and plays a lot.

I've been on the "let Byrd walk/trade him" train for a while, but the needle is strongly pointed back the other way. I'm not willing to even consider making him the highest paid safety in the league, but I would be willing to give him a fat contract.

The "best of the rest" group isn't even a compliment. It should just be titled "the rest" because there's 29 guys before that and then there are 20 in that group. So it makes 49 which is basically enough to say they included everybody that starts and plays a lot.

His agent wants top money. He is not backing down now. Unless Byrd tells his agent to back down (which he won't) he is leaving. Searcy/Williams next year for sure.

Edited by 8and8Forever

What this list tells you most is that the majority of the league doesn't value safety highly.

I still think the right move is to franchise Byrd and trade him. If you give Byrd his long-term deal which is likely his one and only, that's asking for trouble after what he pulled. Don't forget that there's valid injury worry too with his hip.

What this list tells you most is that the majority of the league doesn't value safety highly.

I still think the right move is to franchise Byrd and trade him. If you give Byrd his long-term deal which is likely his one and only, that's asking for trouble after what he pulled. Don't forget that there's valid injury worry too with his hip.

I think that sends a horrible message to your team and fans. The first player in a long time that gets drafted by the Bills and he in turn makes himself the top in the league at his position, in fact does not end up "getting the money" and instead gets traded away for picks?

If you were a player for the Bills, what incentive would you have at becoming the top player at your position in the league while also wanting to remain playing for the Bills team that drafted you? Because the two couldn't coexist if Byrd got traded away.

The Bills need to show the team, it's fans and the rest of the league that they're serious. That the sleeping giant is awakening and that this franchise plans on being a dominant force in the AFC for the next ten years. The Bills need to show Byrd the money. This will be proof to all of the other players on the team that if they play great, they will get paid top dollar.

Williams needs to thank Pettine for resurrecting his career. He was on his last leg as a CB, and now we have an excellent safety with good skills, strength, and can shift to CB temporarily when we have injuries. We also have a lot of depth at safety with our recent drafts beyond Byrd, Searcy, Williams, and th newbies. Nice to have depth at one position. Now just draft a stud cover CB and we are set in the secondary (as long as we sign JB to a long term deal). As good as this defense will look with upcoming oponnents to finish the year. Next year we will be that dominant defense.

Williams should thank himself for not giving up on himself when a lot of fans did. He was a 2nd round pick for a reason. Pettine has helped now doubt but players still have to make plays. Just another reason why fans shouldn't be GMs. Williams would have been cut last year.

I think that sends a horrible message to your team and fans. The first player in a long time that gets drafted by the Bills and he in turn makes himself the top in the league at his position, in fact does not end up "getting the money" and instead gets traded away for picks?

If you were a player for the Bills, what incentive would you have at becoming the top player at your position in the league while also wanting to remain playing for the Bills team that drafted you? Because the two couldn't coexist if Byrd got traded away.

The Bills need to show the team, it's fans and the rest of the league that they're serious. That the sleeping giant is awakening and that this franchise plans on being a dominant force in the AFC for the next ten years. The Bills need to show Byrd the money. This will be proof to all of the other players on the team that if they play great, they will get paid top dollar.

It's not about sending a message to the fans. It's about doing what is in the best interest of the franchise. I think that they should tag him and try to sign him again. If they are unable to get a long term deal done get the best package that you can. There are only so many dollars that you can allocate to each position.

Players understand that it's a business and that the average career is about 3 years. They don't hold grudges against franchises or other players. Your window to earn money is brief and you need to capitalize on that (especially without guaranteed contracts).

It's not about sending a message to the fans. It's about doing what is in the best interest of the franchise. I think that they should tag him and try to sign him again. If they are unable to get a long term deal done get the best package that you can. There are only so many dollars that you can allocate to each position.

Players understand that it's a business and that the average career is about 3 years. They don't hold grudges against franchises or other players. Your window to earn money is brief and you need to capitalize on that (especially without guaranteed contracts).

I can get down with this. But they need to tag him & explore their options. I'd be posses if they let him walk for nothing.

Again, we live in a black and white world. I live in the gray. I don't fault either the Bills or Byrd. It's simply business & they're both trying to get the best one.

How does that list tell you any such thing? If anything, safety is becoming a more highly valued position every year.

I've been on the "let Byrd walk/trade him" train for a while, but the needle is strongly pointed back the other way. I'm not willing to even consider making him the highest paid safety in the league . . . .

Why not? Who do you think deserves to be the highest paid safety in the league, then?

No. Weddle is the highest paid FS in the league. Byrd is better (I watch SD weekly). Pay him, keep your good players, and get to the playoffs.

Why not? Who do you think deserves to be the highest paid safety in the league, then?

Nobody. I know somebody has to be, but I'm not paying a safety over $7 mill a year. Too easy to find a guy that can get the job done for much less. You pay a guy like Mario Williams big money so you don't have to throw money at a Byrd type.

With that said, I won't call it a bad move if they go to $8 mill. The fact that there are safeties (Antrel Rolle, Eric Weddle, Troy Polamalu, Dashon Goldson) have cap hits over $10 mill for some seasons is crazy.

Edited by DStebb716