Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the

Tiberius

perhaps you can obfuscate the actual issue of this thread, the popes economic stance, into oblivion. that appears to be some cons goal. maybe we can discuss whether santa and Jesus is/was white.

You specifically stated that you didn't have any problems with anything Obama has done other than the roll out of the ACA. You did that in this thread. I then responded with a few questions that were wholly appropriate given your statement. You found a way to run away, again. Nice.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cherry-pick-bits.jpg

somehow, i don't think you're likely the best one to be giving advice on this. just a guess...not at all sure why you insist i'm cherry picking. what basis do you have to know my stance on the other issues that you bring up? for example, i'm anti abortion but also anti capital punishment. to be pro one and anti the other is in my view, cherry picking. but, i like the bee gee Jesus you posted. has anyone drawing these ridiculous impressions ever been to a museum? a few hours in the british museum looking at carvings and drawing from the biblical era and asia minor should be required before anyone tries to draw a biblical figure (or discusses ethnicity on fox news).

You specifically stated that you didn't have any problems with anything Obama has done other than the roll out of the ACA. You did that in this thread. I then responded with a few questions that were wholly appropriate given your statement. You found a way to run away, again. Nice.

i answered a comment re obama that was as thoroughly divorced from the thread topic as your comments. probably should have abstained in retrospect. but i'm confident that i'll weigh in on that cornucopia of topics separately at some point.

While Jesus repeatedly preached against the love of riches, he was urging people to respond to a call to God and to become “rich to God.” It was not an appeal for people to resent the riches of others and obsess about material inequality.
Jesus, when asked to remedy inequality, turned the focus back on envy and greed.

“Someone in the crowd said to him, ‘Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me.’ He replied to him, ‘Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?’ Then he said to the crowd, ‘Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one’s life does not consist of possessions.’” (Luke 12:13-15)

I am all for reducing poverty... What I’m against is talking about “inequality” as if that term denoted any of those concerns. Poverty matters; injustice matters. Mere inequality is beside the point.

Mere inequality is beside the point.

I am all for reducing poverty... What I’m against is talking about “inequality” as if that term denoted any of those concerns. Poverty matters; injustice matters. Mere inequality is beside the point.</p>

agreed. the primary topic isn't inequality. it's poverty. and it's clear that the pope thinks the massive concentration of wealth is, in part, a cause. there is a middle ground between full equality and massive concentration. within that middle ground are concepts other than marxism. that's what limbaugh and presumably you, fail to grasp. to be against 50% of the world's wealth being held by 1 or 2 percent is not necessarily the same as being for marxism. it's not either/or. it may be more difficult to think in terms of more than 2 dimensions or options but it usually more accurately reflects the truth.

somehow, i don't think you're likely the best one to be giving advice on this. just a guess...not at all sure why you insist i'm cherry picking. what basis do you have to know my stance on the other issues that you bring up? for example, i'm anti abortion but also anti capital punishment. to be pro one and anti the other is in my view, cherry picking. but, i like the bee gee Jesus you posted. has anyone drawing these ridiculous impressions ever been to a museum? a few hours in the british museum looking at carvings and drawing from the biblical era and asia minor should be required before anyone tries to draw a biblical figure (or discusses ethnicity on fox news).

i answered a comment re obama that was as thoroughly divorced from the thread topic as your comments. probably should have abstained in retrospect. but i'm confident that i'll weigh in on that cornucopia of topics separately at some point.

I am all for reducing poverty... What I’m against is talking about “inequality” as if that term denoted any of those concerns. Poverty matters; injustice matters. Mere inequality is beside the point.</p>

agreed. the primary topic isn't inequality. it's poverty. and it's clear that the pope thinks the massive concentration of wealth is, in part, a cause. there is a middle ground between full equality and massive concentration. within that middle ground are concepts other than marxism. that's what limbaugh and presumably you, fail to grasp. to be against 50% of the world's wealth being held by 1 or 2 percent is not necessarily the same as being for marxism. it's not either/or. it may be more difficult to think in terms of more than 2 dimensions or options but it usually more accurately reflects the truth.

Glad to see you admit you were wrong. OTOH, I wasn't wrong at all. I was merely responding to your comment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this is truly historic: http://marysaggies.blogspot.com/2014/02/astounding-pope-francis-records-private.html also a video of the crowd and kenneth copeland's response. initially, they are in shock but it sinks in and they begin to celebrate and then pray for the pope! amazing!!!

Edited by birdog1960

• 2 months later...

Great, start with the Vatican's.

:lol:

I visited the Vatican and Jerusalem a couple of years ago and one of the things I always tell people is how the Vatican basically feels like Vegas with a drop of Holy Water.

Totally Missing the Pope Francis Story, Yet Again

By Kathryn Jean Lopez

This morning Pope Francis met with U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and other United Nations officials. He sounded some familiar themes of his past 14 months as pontiff. He admonished our “throwaway culture,” he talked about the need for “solidarity” with the suffering, and to serve the poor. In his talks with Catholics and all people of good will, he injects the Beatitudes even into more secular context. The Beatitudes are who he is, why Catholics are who we are, and they just so happen to make the world more tender and compassionate.

So, of course, the first Associated Press story that hits the wires makes no mention of anything Pope Francis had to say about the “culture of death” but runs the headline “Pope urges ‘legitimate redistribution’ of wealth by the state to poor in spirit of generosity.”

I get it, we run with what we’re comfortable with. So now the Left can be content to believe that the pope is not challenging, but endorsing, say, a midterm political platform. Anyone, however, who listens to this pope in context and is not challenged, simply isn’t listening.

For anyone curious about what the pope actually said, here’s the meat of the translation up on news.va, the place to go if you’re looking for context to wild headlines about Pope Francis:

at the link