possibly the best player in the NFL this year

dave mcbride

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a tough time taking Rivers seriously. Every time he takes his helmet off all I see is Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber".

Do you have a pic, cuz I don't think he looks remotely like Jim Carrey.

The Chargers were meandering fro a few years under Norv Turner, and Rivers wasn't right physically. Their O-line really sucked too.

Rivers is the best fantasy player going but this is different from being the "best" player in the "reality" of the game NFL football. The reason why Rivers is not categorized as one of the best (or at a level equal to his stats) is that his teams are not big winners. I guess ask Peyton Manning whether he would prefer his stats or two SB wins instead of one, and I would not be surprised if he opted for the SBs.

The Chargers were meandering fro a few years under Norv Turner, and Rivers wasn't right physically. Their O-line really sucked too.

Still does as they have a ton of injuries. Rhinehart went there to be a starter (he was a backup here) and was hurt most of the year, Fluker has been good at run blocking but really struggled with pass protection. There have been so many injuries on their OL they were considering taking guys from the DL and having them play OL.

It's a team game, and one is judged on the full season, not two losses in two weeks. I'm not sure why you're excluding the good November game from the overall November stats.

Because you excluded the other 3 November games and chose to name him "possibly the best player in the NFL this year" only after the KC game. Why didnt you post this topic after the Chargers 3 straight November losses? Did the KC win suddenly make him the best in the league?

PHILIP-RIVERS-150x150.jpg

Because you excluded the other 3 November games and chose to name him "possibly the best player in the NFL this year" only after the KC game. Why didnt you post this topic after the Chargers 3 straight November losses? Did the KC win suddenly make him the best in the league?

??? - I'm basing his record on eleven games -- i.e., the full season to date. According to the record books, he has 71 percent completion rate, is averaging 8.5 ypa, has a 22/8 TD/INT rate, and a sack rate of 4.8 percent.

Don't think you can read my mind. I've been noticing how well Rivers has been playing all season. Anyway, how well a player does after one particular game is neither here nor there -- what matters is the full body of work.

Edited by dave mcbride

It took several years of missing the playoffs before he was removed from the elite group. Circa 2007 he was seen as a solid top 5.

Chargers were in the playoffs from 2006-2010.

Rivers made probowls in 2009-2011.

From memory his star status was routinely dumped upon(and IMO unfairly dumped upon) last season 2012.

hahaha!

Okay, now I see it.

Beat me to it!!

??? - I'm basing his record on eleven games -- i.e., the full season to date. According to the record books, he has 71 percent completion rate, is averaging 8.5 ypa, has a 22/8 TD/INT rate, and a sack rate of 4.8 percent.

Don't think you can read my mind. I've been noticing how well Rivers has been playing all season. Anyway, how well a player does after one particular game is neither here nor there -- what matters is the full body of work.

My point is that after 3 November losses in which he didn't play very well uniformly, you would not have started this thread no matter what you were thinking of his entire body of work for this season before the KC game. He was having a decent season, but I don't think you or very many others were thinking, after the 3rd Nov loss that Rivers was the best player in the NFL this season.

My point is that after 3 November losses in which he didn't play very well uniformly, you would not have started this thread no matter what you were thinking of his entire body of work for this season before the KC game. He was having a decent season, but I don't think you or very many others were thinking, after the 3rd Nov loss that Rivers was the best player in the NFL this season.

Keep in mind, RIvers is throwing to absolute nobodies. Brady has Gronk, Brees has Graham, Peyton has Welker/Thomas/Decker, Eli has VC and Phil is putting up comparable numbers. He's tossing to an old Antonio Gates, a 3rd round rookie, a borderline 4th stringer Eddie Royal, and a Patriots old utility guy. Meanwhile, he's playing in shootouts with 2 complete powerhouses in his division, all while dealing with a truly awful defense. Having 3 mediocre games doesn't change that. Season numbers are important for MVP's and I think Rivers play this year makes a compelling argument. If they make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at #2 in the race.

It's not like he hasn't won big games all year. The Chargers beat the Colts, who spanked the 49ers and Denver. If he keeps up his production, they may very well split with Denver and sweep KC.

Edited by FireChan

Keep in mind, RIvers is throwing to absolute nobodies. Brady has Gronk, Brees has Graham, Peyton has Welker/Thomas/Decker, Eli has VC and Phil is putting up comparable numbers. He's tossing to an old Antonio Gates, a 3rd round rookie, a borderline 4th stringer Eddie Royal, and a Patriots old utility guy. Meanwhile, he's playing in shootouts with 2 complete powerhouses in his division, all while dealing with a truly awful defense. Having 3 mediocre games doesn't change that. Season numbers are important for MVP's and I think Rivers play this year makes a compelling argument. If they make the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at #2 in the race.

It's not like he hasn't won big games all year. The Chargers beat the Colts, who spanked the 49ers and Denver. If he keeps up his production, they may very well split with Denver and sweep KC.

Gronk has played only 5 games this year. Brady has only one receiver in the top 50--and it's the great Julian Edelman!

"Old" Gates? He's having another solid year--in fact his best season in 5 years! That "3rd round rookie" is having a better year than anyone on our team (not all 3rd round WR's are busts, you know). Rivers has always had a couple of very good receivers and he does this year too--2 in the top 25.

Shockingly, it may be Philip Rivers when factoring in his supporting cast. His numbers are unbelievable:

71 percent completion rate

22 TDs to 8 INTs

8.5 ypa

106.6 rating

A very low 4.8 percent sack rate (behind an average at best o-line)

http://www.pro-footb.../R/RivePh00.htm

Of all the 5-6 teams, the Chargers seem to me the likeliest candidate to sneak in.

wasn't he over the hill last year and should never be brought here B-)

Gronk has played only 5 games this year. Brady has only one receiver in the top 50--and it's the great Julian Edelman!

"Old" Gates? He's having another solid year--in fact his best season in 5 years! That "3rd round rookie" is having a better year than anyone on our team (not all 3rd round WR's are busts, you know). Rivers has always had a couple of very good receivers and he does this year too--2 in the top 25.

Obviously if Rivers is having a good year, so are his receivers.... is this a joke post? He's still throwing to unproven guys and Gates is old. That's why he's in the running for MVP. He doesn't have "super star" receivers and he's playing to the levels of guy's that do.

Yes that was the opinion of some-not I - and I expect an apology thread for Mr. Rivers……stat!

I could not agree more. In fact, I move that we create a new "Apologies" forum for all the players, coaches and administrators who have given the lie to those who failed to believe in them.

Edited by mannc

So right when chad Rhinehart goes to san Diego, Philip rivers becomes an MVP?

Coincidence? I don't think so.

YE OLE must concur. This is similar to the phenomena that existed during the Flutie Johnson era when the team was something like 4-1 when Marcus Spriggs was starting. It was never about Flutie or Johnson... it was always about Marcus Spriggs