Here at Roswell Park with my Dad

BringBackFergy

Yes, great news. I'm at a loss as to what happened but I researched it too and it appears fungus is often interpreted as lung cancer...in this case they did everything as if it was cancer. Really a crazy week. Very thankful..thanks Exiled.

Great news for you and your Pops. Prayers and well wishes continue as he works towards a full recovery.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad to hear your father is doing good. Roswell park cancer institute is awesome. Took my wife there for a second opinion. Unfortunately they can't really help her at this stage. I thought they were top notch in my opinion. Good luck to your dad, stay strong. My prayers are with you and your family.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

AMAZING UPDATE!! You guys are gonna love this. I was with my Dad from Monday at noon until this past Saturday when I had to travel back home. At the hospital every day we went over his course of treatment (CT Scans, Bronchoscopies, PET Scans, needle biopsy that showed the cancerous adnocarcinoma, the removal of his right lower lobe, mediastynoscopy, wedge biopsy on upper lobe etc.) He is still in the hospital because the holes in his lung are healing slow and air escapes into the chest cavity so he still has a chest drain/vent. Anyway, we've been waiting for the pathology report to see if the part of his lung that was removed had good margins and if the nodes under the arm were good as well. The Dr. called him tonight and she said as follows: "Do you want me to come in tomorrow morning and tell you in person or tell you now?" My Dad said "Tell me now". The Dr said "the tumor that we removed and your lower lobe have no evidence of cancer. You have a fungal infection. Needless to say, we are relieved and extremely happy but the poor fella has had part of his lung removed and has been in Roswell for 7 days with tubes, catheters and a roller coaster ride of emotions. Do you believe in miracles? I do. Do you believe that a pathologist/lab technician can misdiagnose a biopsy and result in a healthy man lose half his lung? Yes indeed. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers guys. He's been through a hell of a month and this news is something that took me by surprise. Not sure what else to say because this is a matter of first impression....I'm speechless.

Happy to hear. Has he ever spent prolonged time in the desert? I had several years in California's Central Valley and "Valley Fever" was talked about often.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Happy to hear. Has he ever spent prolonged time in the desert? I had several years in California's Central Valley and "Valley Fever" was talked about often.

Thanks Ball - no, he's a snowbird (6 months in SW Florida and 6 in Upstate NY). Once he is discharged we're gonna arrange to have his heating/ac ducts cleaned and maybe get an air purifier. Still kind of in shock...he's been told he has lung cancer as per needle biopsy for three weeks and dreading surgery/maybe chemo, has surgery and is recovering waiting to see if he needs chemo....now, no need for chemo because it wasn't cancer after all. Damn...speechless. Thanks BB

Thanks Ball - no, he's a snowbird (6 months in SW Florida and 6 in Upstate NY). Once he is discharged we're gonna arrange to have his heating/ac ducts cleaned and maybe get an air purifier. Still kind of in shock...he's been told he has lung cancer as per needle biopsy for three weeks and dreading surgery/maybe chemo, has surgery and is recovering waiting to see if he needs chemo....now, no need for chemo because it wasn't cancer after all. Damn...speechless. Thanks BB

How much of the lung did they remove again?

Good news in the end... Make sure he doesn't dwell on the negative (lung surgery), its gotta be water under the bridge! Good thing we all have two lobes! Have the docs advised what happens next? Is the surgery gonna lead to living differently? And how much?

How much of the lung did they remove again?

Good news in the end... Make sure he doesn't dwell on the negative (lung surgery), its gotta be water under the bridge! Good thing we all have two lobes! Have the docs advised what happens next? Is the surgery gonna lead to living differently? And how much?

The right lower lobe. The way it works is we have two lobes on the left (upper and lower) and three lobes on the right (upper, middle, lower). There is a natural fissure separating each lobe. So even though this tumor (about 3-4 cm in diameter) was at the bottom of the lower lobe, they took the whole lower lobe out at the fissure with the middle lobe because it's easier to suture/staple at the natural boundary with the mid lobe. He is somewhat in shock this morning as well. Talked to him at the hospital. For the past five weeks he has been told he has lung cancer and now *poof* it's a fungus (Aspergillosis) which as I researched is typically diagnosed with a sputum sample. He has been coughing up crap for 6 months and no one ever thought to send the sputum sample to the lab to test for fungus...I think that's why he's a little frustrated. The fact that he has about one-fifth less lung capacity shouldn't effect him too bad. He would walk every day about three or four miles and was in good shape for a 76 yr old...I keep telling him to get back on the horse and ride. Great news...but the last five weeks or so (since he was diagnosed) have been hell (including the hospital surgery, etc). Thanks for all the support and wishes.