How does someone fly undetected from Windsor, Ont

Beerball

They didn't say IF he actually departed from Windsor, of IF there was any Flight Plan.

We don't have an Air Defense Zone between the US & Canada so there's no positive radar identification required. If there's no flight plan and/or no flight following requested, he's just another radar blip. I would think the Nashville Tower would have been aware that he was at least in their airspace for 2 hours, and attempted to contact or identify him. He could crash anywhere in the dark and if; he had no lights, there were no witness reports, and there was no post-crash fire, it would be impossible to locate wreckage till after sunrise. Outside the "sensational" nature of the story, there's really not enough info to determine exactly what happened.

In his own plane? Pretty damn easily I would assume.

Last I heard, private pilots could still get in their private planes and take off when they felt like it.

Sure, happens every day, especially the crash & burn within an airport's boundaries only to go unnoticed for hours.

Sure, happens every day, especially the crash & burn within an airport's boundaries only to go unnoticed for hours.

And Nashville does have 24-hour tower operation. Not all airports do.

It's also a class-C airport...under 1000 feet, controlled airspace is only a 5 mile radius (above, it's only 10 miles), so you could get that close, easily and legally, without contacting ATC.

And Nashville does have 24-hour tower operation. Not all airports do.

It's also a class-C airport...under 1000 feet, controlled airspace is only a 5 mile radius (above, it's only 10 miles), so you could get that close, easily and legally, without contacting ATC.

He (crash) landed on one of the runways.

• 1 month later...

They didn't say IF he actually departed from Windsor, of IF there was any Flight Plan.

We don't have an Air Defense Zone between the US & Canada so there's no positive radar identification required. If there's no flight plan and/or no flight following requested, he's just another radar blip. I would think the Nashville Tower would have been aware that he was at least in their airspace for 2 hours, and attempted to contact or identify him. He could crash anywhere in the dark and if; he had no lights, there were no witness reports, and there was no post-crash fire, it would be impossible to locate wreckage till after sunrise. Outside the "sensational" nature of the story, there's really not enough info to determine exactly what happened.

He would be required to land for customs though.