The PERFECT Sport - What Does It Look Like?

ajzepp

As a fan of Soccer, part of the fun on TBD is having the anti-soccer people come into the thread and take cracks. Some of them are pretty lame, of course, but once in a while somebody will say something that makes me laugh. (Alaska Darin comes to mind here.) People will call it "kickball" and talk about pansies running around on the lawn...stuff like that.

It sort of got me to thinking about what I like and don't like about other sports. I started thinking about whether there is a sport that is PERFECT in terms of my own criteria, or even one that maybe comes really close. I'd be curious to know what sort of criteria the rest of you think would need to be present if you were going to design the perfect sport. Would it be more endurance or more short burst action? Would it be cerebral and strategic? Should it involve the use of implements such as sticks, bats, or whatever else?

In my world, there is one sport that comes closer than anything else. In terms of overall enjoyment and my level of engagement as a fan, it's clearly football - both the NFL and college. Soccer is a very close second. But the sport i would put above both of these in terms of what I consider near-perfection? MMA fighting, such as the UFC and Bellator.

I watch MMA fights and I try to think about stuff that I'd want to change, or what I dont like, and I can't come up with much. I love sports with personalities and trash talking. (A big reason why I like Rex Ryan, no matter what team he coaches for.). I love team sports, but there is something about a sport where you are SOLELY responsible for your own success and solely to blame for your demise. I love that a great fight takes less than an hour and that I can see multiple fights/stories on one card. I love that it pushes one to the brink of their red line intensity. You can't take a play off or you pay the price. It's not restrictive in terms of fighting style...it's MY discipline against YOUR discipline...may the best man - or woman - win.

So even though it's not my favorite sport, per se, it's as close to what I would consider a perfect sport. What say you?

I think the perfect sport would be called middle linebacker. We could just change the name to make it a unique sport, call it Kiko. It'd more or less be 1 on 1 tackling drills, or maybe two DL against two OL and a ball carrier. The OL could release for a pass maybe even, but it'd have to be short. Yeah, it'd be 3-3 football. One guy has to stay behind the LOS. Yeah, that'd be a fun game.

I wish I knew more or had more exposure to rugby. Seems like that could have a lot going for it...

I always think Lax. I have the skillset that I would have done okay or maybe even good. I could run for days, had lower body strength and upper body strength that I could use together with good balance... yeah, in another world LAX.