Hackett on sideline today...

herns78

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the important point to take from Hackett being on the field is it's great to have his energy there reinforcing the O. Despite his belief he had to be upstairs for his own good (to stay focused), the benefits from his infectious energy outweigh any drawback.

Hackett on being on sidelines

Everybody else talked about the benefits of having offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett on the sidelines for their most recent win over the Jets, after he spent the previous 10 games in the coaches’ booth. Hackett, who appeared Wednesday evening on ‘No Huddle’ with Steve Tasker on Sirius XM NFL Radio talked about how he felt down on the sideline last weekend.

“There’s always that perspective of being able to look a guy in the eye and really talk to him,” said Hackett of interacting with EJ Manuel on game day. ”When you’re upstairs you’re away from the whole thing. You go through the whole week where you’re with them every second and all of a sudden the game happens and I’m not there. To be down there with the guys and see how they react when things go good or bad, it’s really good for me to know what we have to do to get them going again. And just being able to communicate with EJ about coverages and all that stuff.”

Hackett admitted he saw how his presence on the sideline eased Manuel’s mind.

“That was something that I think I could really see, just a comfort level of having me there,” Hackett said. ”We’re together a lot. Good thing we like each other.”

Hackett however, did not want to take the credit for the win. He felt there were some ill feelings amongst the players about how the first meeting with the Jets went down and they wanted redemption.

“I’d like to think it was all me, but it wasn’t. I just think the guys really came out to play,” Hackett said. ”I think the guys were really upset about the last time we played against the New York Jets. Nobody batted an eye. We knew everybody was going to be able to do what they had to do and they wanted to make the plays and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.”