Hackett on sideline today...

herns78

Thought it was a good move to have him on the sideline. I'm wondering whose call it was to have him down there? He brings a lot of enthusiasm to the sidelines. Hopefully, he stays down there for the rest of the season. It's key to have good communication between OC and QB, and it seemed to work today. He was so insistent in the beginning of the season that it was better to be in the booth so he could see the whole field. I wonder what made him change his mind? Coach Marrone perhaps??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought it was a good move to have him on the sideline. I'm wondering whose call it was to have him down there? He brings a lot of enthusiasm to the sidelines. Hopefully, he stays down there for the rest of the season. It's key to have good communication between OC and QB, and it seemed to work today. He was so insistent in the beginning of the season that it was better to be in the booth so he could see the whole field. I wonder what made him change his mind? Coach Marrone perhaps??

My ridiculous assertion based on tangible evidence is that the connection between the two of them suffered on game days and Marrone was not able establish the rapport (as a head coach, he's probably busy). Hackett's personality is reportedly infection and upbeat which can certainly be helpful along with being able to get a feel and temperature on EJ.

@buffalobills

EJ Manuel on Nathaniel Hackett: "It was great to have him (on the sidelines). He's not going back up for the rest of my career"

Nice!!

Never made sense to me for him to be upstairs when you have a rookie QB to work with.

@buffalobills

EJ Manuel on Nathaniel Hackett: "It was great to have him (on the sidelines). He's not going back up for the rest of my career"

Nice!!

Never made sense to me for him to be upstairs when you have a rookie QB to work with.

Never liked coaching from the booth since Wanny. Seems to be to much of an impersonal approach. Plus, having a two way dialog with his QB in game situations is a good thing.

Agreed. The bird's eye view has its advantages, but put some assistant up there and give him a headset if you need that angle.

I think we can safely say the majority thought "what the bleep" when we first heard Hackett was calling plays in the booth.

I'm glad he figured this out and was ability to adjust. It seems EJ prefers him to be on the sideline. Makes sense because Hackett is the QB coach as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I think we can safely say the majority thought "what the bleep" when we first heard Hackett was calling plays in the booth.

I'm glad he figured this out and was ability to adjust. It seems EJ prefers him to be on the sideline. Makes sense because Hackett is the QB coach as well.

I recall that Hackett said that it was for his own good that he was up in the booth. He needed to stay focused, and not get super amped up, which he would be on the sideline.

I did notice that the play calls were coming in later today, and there were some communication issues getting the plays called. But it seems that was nothing compared to the benefit of him being with EJ on the sideline today.

I recall that Hackett said that it was for his own good that he was up in the booth. He needed to stay focused, and not get super amped up, which he would be on the sideline.

I did notice that the play calls were coming in later today, and there were some communication issues getting the plays called. But it seems that was nothing compared to the benefit of him being with EJ on the sideline today.

I can't recall which reporter mentioned this on twitter during the game, but apparently the offensive quality control coach was sending in the plays from the booth which is what caused the delays--- the only reason I made a note of this is that the reporter referred to the QC coach as Mike Vrabel. Thinking it was the former Patriot I looked it up and it was a mistake: his name is actually Jason Vrable.

@buffalobills Doug Marrone: OC Nate Hackett was on the field today because "we thought it would be better for the QB" EJ: 20-28, 245yds, 2TDs.

And zero interceptions.

I can't recall which reporter mentioned this on twitter during the game, but apparently the offensive quality control coach was sending in the plays from the booth which is what caused the delays--- the only reason I made a note of this is that the reporter referred to the QC coach as Mike Vrabel. Thinking it was the former Patriot I looked it up and it was a mistake: his name is actually Jason Vrable.

I don't get it.

Does this mean that Hackett wasn't calling the plays?

And zero interceptions.

I don't get it.

Does this mean that Hackett wasn't calling the plays?

The way it was worded was that Hackett was still calling the plays but the apparatus to send them into EJ was from the booth--- it sounds like it unnecessarily complicates what is already a delicate process but maybe it's not that strange. I'd be interested to hear some clarification from Marrone or Hackett this week.

The way it was worded was that Hackett was still calling the plays but the apparatus to send them into EJ was from the booth--- it sounds like it unnecessarily complicates what is already a delicate process but maybe it's not that strange. I'd be interested to hear some clarification from Marrone or Hackett this week.

Yeah I guess it adds one more link in the chain, at the head end.

Upstairs and then back downstairs.

You're not allowed to talk to the QB via the radio from the booth. So Hackett had to tell Vrabel and then he called the play into Ej

You mean coaches can't communicate to the QB via radio from the sideline? If so, then it all makes sense.