UFC - Hendricks

meazza

He wasn't "robbed." Every time a decision is close these days there are mobs of people yelling "ROBBED!" It was a close fight that could have gone either way. Look at it round by round. GSP obviously won rounds 3 & 5. Hendricks won 2 & 4. The close round was round 1 and it could have gone either way. Not sure how it going GSP's makes it a robbery.

People disagree withe it because GSP wears the damage badly. The same thing happened when he beat BJ Penn years ago. He was busted up in that Penn bout too, but he obviously won the fight. Other guys (like Hendricks and Penn) don't wear damage badly. A guy's face can't be how people judge fights. Look at it round by round and while you might disagree with it it's not a robbery.

And no, I'm not a GSP fan. I didn't have a dog in the fight.

Was a good night all around. Dana white is a pos.

Yeah he is. He's the king of wanting every decision to reflect his PoV and if he doesn't he screams that the judges are idiots.

Sorry mdh but I disagree. I would say 1 was pretty clearly Hendricks. Those elbows to the head sealed that round for me. Round 3 was very close as well and I could see gsp getting that round. 5 was his for sure.

So 1 definite and 2 maybes won him the fight. Watching that fight, regardless off wear, it was clear to many many ppl that gsp lost.

This to me was a case of gsp getting the benefit of the doubt for the first round bc he was the champ. That ended up being the difference in the fight.

It was a terrible decision and I think Dana white actually did good damage control. When he says "Hendricks won that fight" many people agree with him and move on. I think it actually minimizes the controversy.

Whoa...GSP took a POUNDING by the looks of that

I saw hendricks fight several months ago and he looked great...I was thinking I'd order this PPV but totally forgot until Meazza posted about it. Oh well.

He wasn't "robbed." Every time a decision is close these days there are mobs of people yelling "ROBBED!" It was a close fight that could have gone either way. Look at it round by round. GSP obviously won rounds 3 & 5. Hendricks won 2 & 4. The close round was round 1 and it could have gone either way. Not sure how it going GSP's makes it a robbery.

People disagree withe it because GSP wears the damage badly. The same thing happened when he beat BJ Penn years ago. He was busted up in that Penn bout too, but he obviously won the fight. Other guys (like Hendricks and Penn) don't wear damage badly. A guy's face can't be how people judge fights. Look at it round by round and while you might disagree with it it's not a robbery.

And no, I'm not a GSP fan. I didn't have a dog in the fight.

Yeah he is. He's the king of wanting every decision to reflect his PoV and if he doesn't he screams that the judges are idiots.

The scorecard shows that round 1 was given to GSP which I disagree with heavily.

That being said, Dana White pissed me off by calling out GSP for deciding to take a break. Sorry but it's not him that has to go in that ring and possibly be the last time he walks out of that ring with a functioning brain. I'm specifically referring to this quote :

“He could retire (but) there’s no ‘hey listen, I’m going to take a hiatus, I’m going to take a leave of absence.’ Whatever the hell it was that he was saying, that’s not how it works,” White said at the post-fight press conference. “You owe it to the fans, you owe it to that belt, you owe it to this company and you owe it to Johny Hendricks to give him that opportunity to fight again, unless you’re going to retire.”

He doesn't owe **** to anyone. If he wants to take time off, then it's his right.

Edited by meazza

“I gave Georges St-Pierre the third round, that’s it. … Nevada is a very scary place. This is the worst commission on the planet. I am afraid to bring fights to Las Vegas. I never thought I’d say that. This is the city I live in; this is the city I love. This is the worst commission on the planet.”

White continued:

“This is the thing that makes people not like fights. I don’t even know what to say. I’m still so blown away by it. Georges knew he lost, his corner knew he lost. Hendricks knew he won, his corner knew he won. … These guys, this commission is just despicably horrible.”

White even cautioned against the NSAC ruining MMA in the same way many believe it has boxing:

“The Nevada State Athletic Commission has a lot of work to do – a lot of work to do. And it makes me sick. They better get to work, and they better figure out how to not destroy, not only the sport of boxing, but this sport, too.
Edited by Ryan L Billz

mdh are you serious? GSP was wobbly and beaten soundly. Hendricks was way too strong and GSP couldn't even fathom one takedown on him.

Hendricks won by a mile. Easily Robbery is the correct term.

Hendricks won easily only if you use the old Japan Pride rules where they judged a fight overall. However, that's not how the UFC works. It's done round by round. I'll agree that Hendricks won the rounds he won more decisively than the ones GSP won. He wobbled GSP in the 2nd and cut him up in the 4th with those ground and pound elbows. Those rounds were where all the damage was done. However, he didn't win them by enough to make them 10-8 rounds. GSP clearly won the 3rd and 5th but he didn't bust Hendricks up in the process - but he still won them.

Really, the problem people have is how the sport is scored. It takes too much to get a 10-8 round and so it becomes difficult to differentiate between a clear round win and a closer one. There have been plenty of people who have put forward more progressive scoring systems and move away from the one left in place by boxing. The athletic commissions have been slow to adapt though.

Overall, I agree Hendricks clearly won the fight if you look at the entire picture but when you break it down round by round it all comes down to round 1 and I can see that one going either way. I gave it to GSP but I don't have a beef with anybody who scored it differently.

My close friends have finally gotten me to give UFC a try. I did not watch Saturday night's fight (was throwing my wife a birthday party) but I did watch the last PPV event. I liked it. A lot. As a former boxing enthusiast, I'm happy to get into this sport. I gave up on boxing nearly 10 years ago.

I hope they can keep UFC clean.

My close friends have finally gotten me to give UFC a try. I did not watch Saturday night's fight (was throwing my wife a birthday party) but I did watch the last PPV event. I liked it. A lot. As a former boxing enthusiast, I'm happy to get into this sport. I gave up on boxing nearly 10 years ago.

Me too. That was my first complaint about this fight. It stunk like a boxing match. White said as much (and you can read about it in Ryan L Billz post). The NAC is terrible, I hope they move fights away from there until they get their sh*t together. For combat sports UFC is the top dog right now. The champions are top notch and the fights are set up by UFC. There is no ducking someone ala Mayweather. If they are good and in your weight class you will fight them.

First time I saw a UFC PPV was back in the early 90s when they would essentially have these iron man fights...fighting 2, 3, 4x in a night. I'd never seen anything like that, and I was immediately hooked. I usually order between 2-4 UFC events per year and I can't remember ever not feelign it was worth it.

First time I saw a UFC PPV was back in the early 90s when they would essentially have these iron man fights...fighting 2, 3, 4x in a night. I'd never seen anything like that, and I was immediately hooked. I usually order between 2-4 UFC events per year and I can't remember ever not feelign it was worth it.

You should see this city rock when GSP is fighting. I usually watch a few events per year. Anderson Silva is my favorite fighter but I'm glad he got his ass kicked for the antics he pulled last fight. i think he will come back stronger than ever though.

Again, to reiterate. I personally think round 1 should have been clear cut Hendricks and don't agree with the judges but Dana White saying that GSP owes it to the fans and UFC is !@#$ing bull ****. I've seen the guy in bars often enough and he's always there with his glass of water. He's dedicated and I could totally understand if he wants to enjoy his money and stop having to focus 120% of the time on training and preparation.

You should see this city rock when GSP is fighting.

I'm not 100% certain, but when I ordered the GSP vs Diaz PPV several months ago, I THINK that was from Montreal...I seem to remember the fans goign apeshiit.

That was a pretty disappointing main event, but there were a couple fights on the undercard that made it worth it - most notably the Hendricks fight.

I'm not 100% certain, but when I ordered the GSP vs Diaz PPV several months ago, I THINK that was from Montreal...I seem to remember the fans goign apeshiit.

That was a pretty disappointing main event, but there were a couple fights on the undercard that made it worth it - most notably the Hendricks fight.

Yes the last GSP fight was in Montreal. My buddies and I met him in a club once. Classy individual.