Howard and Simon this morning with Doug Marrone

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true and I'm not doubting you then he has lost all credibility with me. Why on earth would you not want to utilize a guy like Spiller in every possible way

I really liked the Marrone hire but he is reminding me more and more of Jauron every day

because vertical passing routes are a whole different beast, and spiller hasnt proven the ability to be effective with those?

I noticed Chris Johnson split out a few times last night and I have seen both Bush and Sproles split out a varioius times this season. That's what you do with dynamic players.anything to give them opportunities to move the ball. This is a copy cat league for all teams except the Bills.

marrone was bushs offensive coordinator in new orleans. hes not unaware of the concept, though they werent great at using bush in general.... they werent afraid to split him wide.

given the rumors that CJ struggled mightily to understand blocking schemes, if true, the conjecture from there is he probably hasnt had great success learning route trees, reading DBs and safeties and adjusting to hot routes, beating the jam, and all the other things that make WR a tough position to play, and they simply feel more comfortable keeping him in safe situations.

As for the Spiller comment that everyone is (over)reacting too, he didn't say he wasn't go to use him in the passing game, he said most rbs start out in the backfield and that is what they have CJ do. It wasn't that they weren't going to give him the ball or wanted to underutilize talent, it was that there are better (in his opinion) ways to get him the ball.

Interesting. This is game 11 of a 16 game season. I wonder when he plans on using these "better ways".

Watch games from last year. He has proven to be effective at beating coverage. Fitz just had no ability to throw that sideline ball accurately .

give me some run down if you want to make the argument that the coach is wrong -- how often was he split wide, what types of routes did he run and howd he do with them. "go watch games last year" doesnt prove marrone wrong. i honestly was just spitballing that WR is a hard position even for a college wr to transition to, so its not shocking that it could be a struggle for a RB.

id love to see some more of that, if its a true option given spillers ability, im just not sure if its something they feel comfortable with him doing. physically it seems he has the talent, and mentally i have no idea.

3688516023_07450826e5_o.png

http://www.advancedn...udy-part-4.html

Nothing new here. I just wish Marrone would try it. At 3-7, why not? It worked for Billy Beane.

While I like this chart, I want to see the variations based on game situation, in particular whether you're in a high or low-scoring game, and the point differential.

I don't think the decision tree looks the same if you are in a low scoring game ahead by 9 points. In that situation, especially if time is running out, the right move is to always punt from inside your 20. I think if someone did the analysis, the numbers would bear it out too.

The linked article references this indirectly with the following:

So Why Are Coaches So Stubborn?

If the benefit of going for it is so clear, why are coaches choosing to kick so often? The authors of Hidden Game of Football suggest that the current 4th down doctrine in football is a hold-over from the early days of the sport. Back in the day, teams were lucky if they mounted one successful scoring drive all game.

All that said of course you likely need to take even more risks than the chart if you're behind with time running out.

It was a logical set of questions, basically following the concerns everyone has -

"Your top two receivers are down, and you will need to rely on Graham & Easley as your top two WRs for this game.

Is there a concern about the drop off from Johnson & Woods?

We saw in the last game that a miscommunication between those two guys possibly caused a missed TD."

If they didn't ask those obvious questions to Coach Obvious, then they're not doing their job. I understand why Marrone would want to deflect the questions, but those questions have to be asked because they're valid.

Makes more sense in that context. Thanks.

marrone was bushs offensive coordinator in new orleans. hes not unaware of the concept, though they werent great at using bush in general.... they werent afraid to split him wide.

given the rumors that CJ struggled mightily to understand blocking schemes, if true, the conjecture from there is he probably hasnt had great success learning route trees, reading DBs and safeties and adjusting to hot routes, beating the jam, and all the other things that make WR a tough position to play, and they simply feel more comfortable keeping him in safe situations.

They were not rumours. It was Chan Gailey himself that said CJ had trouble with blocking. Chan Gailey is also the guy that had CJ spread out in 5 WR sets running drag routes, slants and stretching the field along the sideline.

So your "theory" is nonesense.