Bills contact NFL about scheduling disadvantage

Simon

I'd think most would be surprised how close to .500 teams off bye weeks have been. Rest and game planning is counteracted by broken routines and extra time for extracurriculars

Yes, thank you.

My point is that while bye weeks are great for players they aren't really tactically significant. On the other hand, giving up one of only 8 home games every year is strategically significant and hints toward the fact that maybe the Bills all-encompassing goal isn't actually winning a championship.

When you intentionally put yourself at a competitive disadvantage, your complaints about being put at a competitive disadvantage tend to ring hollow.

I get what your saying, but don't agree at all. They are two complete separate issues. The existence of the Toronto series doesn't alleviate the league's obligation to create a fair schedule.

I agree that the NFL should do a better job at creating a more equitable schedule.

But the Bills complaint would have a lot more weight if they weren't already creating a less equitable schedule themselves.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. Well that would be some crack work there. Kind of like developing an analysis that demonstrated conclusively that water is wet.

Depends on the temperature. :nana:

Don't the bills request fewer home games later in the year, and the league accommodated? Can't have everything you want.

I thought that was the sabres with their back to back nights (friday/saturday)? Which they then used as an excuse to why the team sucked..... I see a pattern.

Edited by The Wiz

From the article: The subject of the Bills scheduling disadvantage came up over the summer, but the team didn't formally contact the league about it until this week. Bills president Russ Brandon called the schedule 'disappointing.'

So why did the Bills wait to bring this up until now?

Guessing but the two reasons I see for bringing it up now are:

1) Playing the Jets this week, second time they are coming off a long break (bye week last week, Thurs. game the week before the first meeting)

2) In spite of other notes on this board suggesting there is no statistical advantage to the long break, Bills are 1-3 in these games. 2-2 leaves us in the playoff hunt.

Solution to playing teams off bye weeks seems simple enough, entire division gets a bye week, then plays division game the following week.

Bit more complicated for the Thursday nite thing but maybe coming off the bye week the division game is a Thursday nite game, then play the same team the following week, home and home scenario. I'm sure this has some flaws but it seems more fair.

On the other hand, giving up one of only 8 home games every year is strategically significant and hints toward the fact that maybe the Bills all-encompassing goal isn't actually winning a championship.

You make the Bills' position seem so shallow. If you were in Brandon's seat, you too might find it necessary to acknowledge the FACT that the Bills face the unique burden of having a 90+ year old owner in an economically weak market that needs to prove its economic viability to a prospective new owner, just to achieve the goal of staying put. Do you really doubt the necessity of expanding the Bills' market in order to minimally demonstrate the team's financial viability to the next owner? Edited by BillnutinHouston

Guessing but the two reasons I see for bringing it up now are:

1) Playing the Jets this week, second time they are coming off a long break (bye week last week, Thurs. game the week before the first meeting)

2) In spite of other notes on this board suggesting there is no statistical advantage to the long break, Bills are 1-3 in these games. 2-2 leaves us in the playoff hunt.

Solution to playing teams off bye weeks seems simple enough, entire division gets a bye week, then plays division game the following week.

Bit more complicated for the Thursday nite thing but maybe coming off the bye week the division game is a Thursday nite game, then play the same team the following week, home and home scenario. I'm sure this has some flaws but it seems more fair.

If the bills are 1-3 in these, that leaves them 2-4 in others.... So.... I'm not sure there's a strong reason to believe they'd be 2-2 without the byes.

Personally, I'm glad they're bringing it up. It's the only way to make sure we don't get screwed again next year (IIRC, it's been 2 years in a row we''ve played a ridiculous number of teams with extra rest, while the Cheats*, for ex., have played one over that span, I believe (and their opponent was coming off a Thursday game to boot)....

I'm glad they said something. I've been sick of watching the Bills just accept their lot that they get screwed on the schedule every year. Nice to see them just stand up and say hey, this is bull ****.

I imagine the complant was made now to point out how they face the same division rival for the second time with that opponent having this advantage. It gives a recency effect a complaint in March just wouldn't do. I'd be willing to be the Bills face one team coming off a bye week next year because of this.

Also we are not the only team to give up a home game every year. Jacksonville is going to England every year and they may actually be hurting the brand by doing that.

Yes, thank you.

My point is that while bye weeks are great for players they aren't really tactically significant. On the other hand, giving up one of only 8 home games every year is strategically significant and hints toward the fact that maybe the Bills all-encompassing goal isn't actually winning a championship.

When you intentionally put yourself at a competitive disadvantage, your complaints about being put at a competitive disadvantage tend to ring hollow.

You might have a more valid point, if the Bills had a markedly better home record than road record. I am sure their won-loss record is better at home over the last 13 years, but when a team wins so few games, it can't be that much better...I don't like the Toronto thing either, but it seems a more necessary evil than what the Bills are griping about.

I'm glad they said something. I've been sick of watching the Bills just accept their lot that they get screwed on the schedule every year. Nice to see them just stand up and say hey, this is bull ****.

I imagine the complant was made now to point out how they face the same division rival for the second time with that opponent having this advantage. It gives a recency effect a complaint in March just wouldn't do. I'd be willing to be the Bills face one team coming off a bye week next year because of this.

Also we are not the only team to give up a home game every year. Jacksonville is going to England every year and they may actually be hurting the brand by doing that.

That point could have been made any time. I imagine it was made now, because they just fell out of the playoff picture completely, and are feeling sorry for themselves, and lashing out.

Seems to me that unless you know when the NFL starts working on the 2014 schedule, we have no basis to judge the effectiveness of the timing of the Bills' complaint. I don't see any reason why the NFL couldn't be starting to work on the 2014 schedule now, which at least potentially could make the Bills' complaint timely.

I doesn't matter about the game in Toronto being a disadvantage, when the Bills are @ the Ralph the opponent gets the sunny side! It can be 20 warmer on that side.

LoL... Can this board get anymore ridiculous?

Try looking directly into the sun when it is going down. Add 70,000 fans shouting at you. It can be annoying.

From the article: The subject of the Bills scheduling disadvantage came up over the summer, but the team didn't formally contact the league about it until this week. Bills president Russ Brandon called the schedule 'disappointing.'

So why did the Bills wait to bring this up until now?

Because it comes off like you're making excuses. You better be sure you want to say something like this.

Seems to me that unless you know when the NFL starts working on the 2014 schedule, we have no basis to judge the effectiveness of the timing of the Bills' complaint. I don't see any reason why the NFL couldn't be starting to work on the 2014 schedule now, which at least potentially could make the Bills' complaint timely.

????

Opponents are based on the final standings, dude. Please, get it together just a little bit before posting.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro