Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Certainly can't argue with that point although there have been many additional blunders WRT both the draft and UFA.

It's waaay too early to put a decision on the 6th string WR in that category.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's waaay too early to put a decision on the 6th string WR in that category.

Stipulated. But that's not the point with me at least. Again, it's about low risk investment with a potential high reward payoff at a position of need as it has been discussed ad nauseam.

a bit circular no? the coaching staff didnt screw up because he didnt make the team?

Perhaps.

However, in order for the coaching staff to have screwed up, we have to assume that each WR competing for that one spot during TC gave the exact same effort while on the clock, mastered each detail identically, and put in the exact same amount of work study while off the clock. If that wasn't the case, and the evidence we have -while admittedly circumstantial -stongly suggests that it wasn't, then how can cutting Rogers be on the staff? This is a textbook case of a guy not doing enough to make the club if there ever was one.

Edited by Thurmal34

Rogers needed to beat out Brandon Kaufman before he had a chance to beat out Chris Hogan. He couldn't even make it to final cuts though.

Here's what I know to be true:

1.) To this day, the entire staff feels Rogers is one of the finest physical specimens at the position.

2.) Hilliard grew increasingly agitated with Rogers, particularly in the film sessions. As an aside and something I know from experience, nothing is more frustrating for coaches than seeing guys with talent like Rogers and not being able to tap into it.

3.) Hilliard had several vets on the team attempt to take Rogers under their wing and offer advice. This is a very common practice in all NFL camps and all position groups do this. It seems these attempts weren't taken in the spirit they were offered. In Rogers' case, like with so many physically superior players, the feeling was he felt he knew it all already.

4.) The final cuts for WR came down to Kaufman and Hogan. The staff thought Hogan had the more productive and consistent training camp as every QB seemed to develop a chemistry with Hogan.

5.) There was never a consideration to even attempt to place Rogers on the practice squad as they didn't feel he was worth it given what that entails from a learning perspective, they thought he would just be poached anyway given his physical gifts, and they didn't want to devote a future roster spot in order to prevent that.

Unlike others, even if Rogers goes on to a Moss-like HOF career, I don't for one second fault the staff for the decision they made AT THE TIME. But just in case he does, nobody will be happier for him than Ike Hilliard.

GO BILLS!!!

Rogers needed to beat out Brandon Kaufman before he had a chance to beat out Chris Hogan. He couldn't even make it to final cuts though.

1.) To this day, the entire staff feels Rogers is one of the finest physical specimens at the position.

2.) Hilliard grew increasingly agitated with Rogers, particularly in the film sessions. As an aside and something I know from experience, nothing is more frustrating for coaches than seeing guys with talent like Rogers and not being able to tap into it.

3.) Hilliard had several vets on the team attempt to take Rogers under their wing and offer advice. This is a very common practice in all NFL camps and all position groups do this. It seems these attempts weren't taken in the spirit they were offered. In Rogers' case, like with so many physically superior players, the feeling was he felt he knew it all already.

4.) The final cuts for WR came down to Kaufman and Hogan. The staff thought Hogan had the more productive and consistent training camp as every QB seemed to develop a chemistry with Hogan.

5.) There was never a consideration to even attempt to place Rogers on the practice squad as they didn't feel he was worth it given what that entails from a learning perspective, they thought he would just be poached anyway given his physical gifts, and they didn't want to devote a future roster spot in order to prevent that.

Unlike others, even if Rogers goes on to a Moss-like HOF career, I don't for one second fault the staff for the decision they made AT THE TIME. But just in case he does, nobody will be happier for him than Ike Hilliard.

GO BILLS!!!

im going to assume that this is one of your more sourced comments, and say i appreciate the added insight if thats the case - even if we have been bickering a bit in this thread.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm with No Saint in tanking you for the post. Anytime someone sheds a little inside info the better. Thanks K9

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe this was the issue all along. The veteran WRs in camp were: Stevie and Brad Smith

GO BILLS!!!

Very informative and interesting information. Still doesn't mean the Bills got it right. Sure would love to know what the Colts are doing differently to reach Rogers where the Bills could not. Still seems like a short sighted decision that lacked patience given the potential payoff.

Can we put the thread to rest then?

I don't know that too talented to stash, too questionable to make the 53 is a conclusion I love. If they truly felt he's the most talented pass catcher in the entire camp, I'd like them to have taken a chance still. While I appreciated the insights it doesn't mean I agree with the outcome yet. Like I've said though, just like the coaches might've missed out on a great talent, he might've been far worse than any of the reports.

K9, since it appears you have some insights into the WR room- any feedback on Easley? It's a change of direction but a curiousity I've had.

GO BILLS!!!

this is exactly how I feel. And although I don't have specific insight into the Bills, I do have insight into two other NFL teams in how they evaluate the players, make their cuts, sign UDFAs, and draft. And this is not a "Bills problem." Every NFL team wants finished products over projects. They are willing to work with guys a little bit, but the transition from college to NFL is already huge and while some things can be "taught" - work ethic, commitment, a willingness to learn, and being a team player usually cannot. The Practice squad isn't exactly just a place where the Bills are "developing" players. The guys on the PS may need to be called up at any time for an injury situation. They do need to be somewhat ready to go after a full TC. At the time, he was not. I hope for Rogers' sake he has turned the corner. But I have said from the beginning that no matter what happens with him, I don't "blame" the Bills for cutting him. I blame the player. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I don't know that too talented to stash, too questionable to make the 53 is a conclusion I love. If they truly felt he's the most talented pass catcher in the entire camp, I'd like them to have taken a chance still. While I appreciated the insights it doesn't mean I agree with the outcome yet. Like I've said though, just like the coaches might've missed out on a great talent, he might've been far worse than any of the reports.

K9, since it appears you have some insights into the WR room- any feedback on Easley? It's a change of direction but a curiousity I've had.

If this was Marrone's third or fourth year, then they probably keep him. But I can certainly see the managerial decision to cut him when it became obvious that he wasn't taking the instruction. Marrone needed to establish the ground rules of his tenure. It's hard enough being a rookie head coach. He didn't need a mercurial player subverting his message.

I'll chalk it up to wrong place, wrong time. And in the grand scheme of things, this ranks nowhere near Bills missing out on Dalton, Kaepernick, or Wilson.

If this once in a life time WR talent went undrafted, I'm guessing there will be many more opportunities to get quality receiver help than there will be opportunities to land a good QB.

Very informative and interesting information. Still doesn't mean the Bills got it right. Sure would love to know what the Colts are doing differently to reach Rogers where the Bills could not. Still seems like a short sighted decision that lacked patience given the potential payoff.

I suspect it's far more about what Rogers is doing differently.

Different players respond differently to different coaches. That doesn't reflect badly on anyone, necessarily. Especially Ike Hilliard who, along with the rest of the new coaches, needs to establish credibility. I think it would have been a hard sell to the other guys in his group if he kept Rogers at their expense.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe this was the issue all along. The veteran WRs in camp were: Stevie and Brad Smith

You may be on to something here. It's not like we had a Reggie Wayne in the fold.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure I have any significant insights or not, and I've never talked about Easley with anyone. My hunch is, like everybody else, is that he made it on the strengths of his ST ability.

If this was Marrone's third or fourth year, then they probably keep him. But I can certainly see the managerial decision to cut him when it became obvious that he wasn't taking the instruction. Marrone needed to establish the ground rules of his tenure. It's hard enough being a rookie head coach. He didn't need a mercurial player subverting his message.

I'll chalk it up to wrong place, wrong time. And in the grand scheme of things, this ranks nowhere near Bills missing out on Dalton, Kaepernick, or Wilson.

If this once in a life time WR talent went undrafted, I'm guessing there will be many more opportunities to get quality receiver help than there will be opportunities to land a good QB.

LOL - if you lived in Ohio right now you would know how funny this is to me. They are raking him over the COALS. Wishing they never drafted him, he wasted great teams, Lewis will get fired now, on and on...

You may be on to something here. It's not like we had a Reggie Wayne in the fold.

GO BILLS!!!

i dont recall if I thought it, or actually posted it earlier (think it was left unsaid) but i was very curious who the vets were given our VERY inexperienced guys in the passing game (both WR and QB, and the coaches)....

Edited by NoSaint