Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Just know, the better Rodgers does with the Colts the more Bills fans are going to dislike the decision to let him go.

Exactly... B-)

Good article that covers all the angles...Good and bad concerning Rogers...

http://espn.go.com/b...m-past-mistakes

One quote that was a bit of a surprise...His receivers coach at Tennessee Charlie Baggett..."He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.”

Edited by KOKBILLS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly... B-)

Good article that covers all the angles...Good and bad concerning Rogers...

http://espn.go.com/b...m-past-mistakes

One quote that was a bit of a surprise...His receivers coach at Tennessee Charlie Baggett..."He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.”

I have been saying all along it was a matter of emotional maturity with Rogers, but many people wanted to label the kid as lazy and dumb. Typical response from people, including many posters here on TSW, who are far too quick to judge. OBD really :censored: this up and will live to regret the patience they failed to exercise with this kid.

I have been saying all along it was a matter of emotional maturity with Rogers, but many people wanted to label the kid as lazy and dumb. Typical response from people, including many posters here on TSW, who are far too quick to judge. OBD really :censored: this up and will live to regret the patience they failed to exercise with this kid.

I know we've beat this horse to death...But it still boggles my mind that this organization continues to go against the grain on decisions that seem to be no-brainers...I go all the way back to the Whitner pick with this feeling of paranoia that they will do something dumb instead of what seems to be the obvious, and relatively safe, thing to do...This organization has been great at out-thinking itself for what seems like forever now...And the Rogers deal is just the latest chapter IMHO... B-)

I know we've beat this horse to death...But it still boggles my mind that this organization continues to go against the grain on decisions that seem to be no-brainers...I go all the way back to the Whitner pick with this feeling of paranoia that they will do something dumb instead of what seems to be the obvious, and relatively safe, thing to do...This organization has been great at out-thinking itself for what seems like forever now...And the Rogers deal is just the latest chapter IMHO... B-)

Good post, you really hit the nail on the head. They are always one step ahead of everyone but never win anything. Go figure

Very well stated. It is rather emblematic of the many questionable decisions that we've seen over the years.

I understand people getting disappointed about this but I don't understand why so many feel that what the Bills did was a tremendous mistake.

If the guy did indeed have 1st round potential......and no team in the NFL decided to risk a virtually worthless 7th round pick on him(in order to secure his talent, and then be patient and try to get him to mature)......his character flaws(immaturity) must have been of extremely high concern.

The Bills then get him as an UDFA, he exhibits the aforementioned character flaws by not learning the playbook(and who knows what else), and the Bills decide it isn't worth the effort to try and get him to see the light(they can't beat it into him) and let him go.

Perhaps this then gave him the kick up the bum he needed to understand that things won't naturally fall into place unless you work hard for them......and when the Colts pick him up, he works hard to try and become an NFL player.

I see it as just unfortunate for us......and certainly not the horrid mismanagement that many here are gnashing their teeth over.

Edited by Dibs

I understand people getting disappointed about this but I don't understand why so many feel that what the Bills did was a tremendous mistake.

If the guy did indeed have 1st round potential......and no team in the NFL decided to risk a virtually worthless 7th round pick on him(in order to secure his talent, and then be patient and try to get him to mature)......his character flaws(immaturity) must have been of extremely high concern.

The Bills then get him as an UDFA, he exhibits the aforementioned character flaws by not learning the playbook(and who knows what else), and the Bills decide it isn't worth the effort to try and get him to see the light(they can't beat it into him) and let him go.

Perhaps this then gave him the kick up the bum he needed to understand that things won't naturally fall into place unless you work hard for them......and when the Colts pick him up, he works hard to try and become an NFL player.

I see it as just unfortunate for us......and certainly not the horrid mismanagement that many here are gnashing their teeth over.

yeah, I think they saw his talent, but had to make a decision based on where they want to go. They gave him an opportunity, and if they hadn't signed him at all, there wouldn't be any of this whining.

This is a rookie staff trying to win with a raw, rookie QB, and lots of rookies and 2nd year guys. They probably felt they had their hands full as it is, and preferred a guy like Hogan who had some experience. I think inexperience was the NUMBER 1 reason for the offensive struggles this season, not a lack of Da'Rick.

We don't know how he behaved at camp. For all we know he was taking other rooks out to get wasted, or maybe he was fine... WE DON'T KNOW.

If he turns into a pretty good pro, that's cool.... they parted ways early, and he went on to develop. I wish him well.

Good post, you really hit the nail on the head. They are always one step ahead of everyone but never win anything. Go figure

Stop holding the current staff responsible for other people's decisions. Whitner has NOTHING to do with any of the guys here now. Are you gonna give Marrone credit for the Super Bowl years? Hackett credit for the K-Gun?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Stop holding the current staff responsible for other people's decisions. Whitner has NOTHING to do with any of the guys here now. Are you gonna give Marrone credit for the Super Bowl years? Hackett credit for the K-Gun?

I can think of a few moves that this personal staff has been smarter than everyone else with (EJ in the 1st, Hogan over Rogers, Colin Brown at LG, Crossman as ST coach, trading up for TJ Graham). Before you say that "TJ was Buddy's doing" Whaley was VERY involved in that draft. I know that for a fact. They have made some good decisions as well (Kiko, Lawson, Hughes for Shepard, Etc...). There are just still too many examples of them making the unconventional decision.

So maybe it isn't fair to hold the coaching staff totally accountable but I think that it is more than fair to say that the "football people" (including the coaches) have made a few decisions that not many other organizations would make. I follow the Saints as well and in the 7 seasons that I have lived here they don't have 4 head scratching decisions in total. There are 5 listed above in the last year for the Bills.

I can see why some Bills fans are noticeably upset over this whole incident, rather then just another in a long line of eff ups. Probably because this kid looked around the NFL rosters and was smart enough to notice the Buffalo Bills weren't exactly overflowing with good receivers on the roster.

More importantly tho, he wanted to be a Buffalo Bill...something that doesn't happen very often these days with ultra talented athletes...unless of course you pay them 100 mill.

I'm not going to say they have made all great decision (or even ANY), I just think it's too soon to make overall judgements about the current staff, and Da'Rick hasn't accomplished enough to hold it against them.

ALSO. Many here whining about Da'Rick are the same guys that want to see SJ gone. And I just read the comments from Chris Brown where he implies that Marrone gets rid of people that he doesn't feel are committed to the team, and winning. People LOVE that "yeah, get tough with these guys. SJ is overpaid, not committed, hold him accountable" blah blahblah,

WELLLL...

Apply that to Da'Rick, and you might see the reason why Marrone cut him!

So it's "Cut Stevie!!!" out one side of the mouth, and "Where Da'Rick at?" out the other?

I'm not going to say they have made all great decision (or even ANY), I just think it's too soon to make overall judgements about the current staff, and Da'Rick hasn't accomplished enough to hold it against them.

ALSO. Many here whining about Da'Rick are the same guys that want to see SJ gone. And I just read the comments from Chris Brown where he implies that Marrone gets rid of people that he doesn't feel are committed to the team, and winning. People LOVE that "yeah, get tough with these guys. SJ is overpaid, not committed, hold him accountable" blah blahblah,

WELLLL...

So it's "Cut Stevie!!!" out one side of the mouth, and "Where Da'Rick at?" out the other?

It's especially easy to point out contradictory opinions when you are pointing at a crowd. I can't speak to many people but I've never said cut Stevie, and I'm fairly sure Kirby has not either. 26 and kok I'm not sure, as I don't keep a ledger but I think you'll notice a large portion of guys that aren't just out to bash the team are the ones that are landing on the "it was a mistake even before last week" argument.

It's especially easy to point out contradictory opinions when you are pointing at a crowd. I can't speak to many people but I've never said cut Stevie, and I'm fairly sure Kirby has not either. 26 and kok I'm not sure, as I don't keep a ledger but I think you'll notice a large portion of guys that aren't just out to bash the team are the ones that are landing on the "it was a mistake even before last week" argument.

Regardless, there are a myriad of reason why they might have cut Da'Rick, and even if he has a good career (err, another good game), they still might be justified. I'm not going to judge this decision until I have seen what this staff can accomplish. THEN it will be fair to say "they were idiots, incompetent".

This topic is exhausted for me at this point. If people want to wallow in the shame of letting him go, and then seeing him score a couple TD's elsewhere, go ahead and wallow.

Regardless, there are a myriad of reason why they might have cut Da'Rick, and even if he has a good career (err, another good game), they still might be justified. I'm not going to judge this decision until I have seen what this staff can accomplish. THEN it will be fair to say "they were idiots, incompetent".

This topic is exhausted for me at this point. If people want to wallow in the shame of letting him go, and then seeing him score a couple TD's elsewhere, go ahead and wallow.

My whole issue is that this decision was a no brainer. There is still not one person that thinks that the franchise is in a better place because of that decision. That is my frustration. 100% of the people that know the Bills as well as anyone disagree with it. I have no idea if Rogers can play at all. I suspect that he will have a decent career but have no clue. I am pretty confident that he will have a better career than Hogan. I am frustrated that they could miss something that was seemingly so obvious.

P.s. I am all for keeping Stevie. It is hard to replace talent as I have argued for 24 pages.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The original statement about Whitner had absolutely nothing to do with Marrone, and everything to do with the organization as a whole over the years...This move with Rogers follows a familiar pattern of doing things opposite of what seems to be pretty obvious and safe...Keeping Rogers for a year or two to see if he was capable of maturing on the field would have hurt absolutely nothing, and had a potential big payoff...The Bills organization dating back years now have made personnel decisions that completely boggle the mind...The worry here is that were headed in that direction once again with another regime...I for one am hoping Marrone turns out to be fantastic...But I'm not going to assume anything anymore...I've been fooled way too many times...I'm forever the pessimist with this organization until they prove to me they can be trusted...Marrone is just part of that overall equation...But a big part nonetheless... B-)

I'm definitely against cutting Stevie...I'm a huge Stevie fan...Though he drives me nuts every now and again like everyone else around here I imagine...I think had we kept Rogers I may feel a bit different about it...But the way I see it now we have no one to replace Stevie, so I'm definitely not in favor of letting him go...At least for 2014... B-)

WELLLL...

First, with so many mistakes already made by this coaching staff that have resulted in another losing season, and no playoffs. I myself don't think its to early to cast judgement on them. Good coaching staffs don't make this many mistakes, and they actually win more games. Should the losing continue this season I would think that any other CEO, and his choice for HC would be looking for new jobs after the season.

Considering the last 14 years of bad coaching staffs makes it easier for some of us to spot the bad from the good rather quickly. The 4-9 record along with how the team lost those 9 games also helps give us insight.

Bottom line is, fans get discouraged when a player they had high hopes for is let go, and then goes on to have success with another team just makes it sting all the more. Perhaps if the team was 9-4, and in the playoffs this thread wouldn't even exist. But, alas...

2 for 23 yards in a blow out.

Luck didnt even get to 200 yards- anyone watch? I saw both were first half catches, as were all lucks tds.... Did they complete even 5 passes in the second half? Seemed like they packed it in glancing at the stat sheet now.