Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Remember Eric Moulds ordered a fricking pizza during a game once. He also was heading towards bust territory and considered a locker room cancer but coaching staff was patient and voila, he turned out to be one of the best receivers in the game. Granted, Moulds was a first round pick so they simply couldnt cut him so we arent comparing apples to apples here. However, i think this coaching staff made a huge mistake in giving up on Rogers so soon. Yes, he may be a one game wonder but that is one more game than any of the receivers we currently have on this team.

Haha. Did not know that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're arguing cart before horse. I have no opinion on Rogers. I know the Bills don't have a QB who can consistently locate receivers and complete the full array of NFL throws, so the presumption that Rogers would somehow become a dominant force with what the Bills currently have at QB is a remarkable stretch.

Buffalo is where receivers wither on the vine (and it's not the weather).

Not sure I understand the argument...

So having more talented players is unimportant until you get a great QB? The Bills don't have a great QB...Not yet...But the shortage of talent at WR is certainly not helping EJ either...I'll give you the fact that EJ has not set the world on fire...I just don't see what good it does to give him Hogan and Graham over Rogers...And lets say the Bills bring in another QB in 2014...Would it be a worthwhile discussion then?...I mean...I understand what you're saying...But this thread is about Rogers...Not the QB position...Sure they go hand and hand...But there are EJ/QB threads I assume...Right? ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

How about waiting a few more games before pronouncing this guy a success?

It's not about pronouncing him a success. It's another opportunity to bust on the front office and coaching staff for being inept buffoons unqualified for the jobs they have.

GO BILLS!!!

It's not about pronouncing him a success. It's another opportunity to bust on the front office and coaching staff for being inept buffoons unqualified for the jobs they have.

GO BILLS!!!

Well to be fair, the whole "best draft in 20 years, Whaley is a scout god" narrative was getting stale.

Would you trade Chris Hogan away for 3 more receiving TD's this season? I would.

Well to be fair, the whole "best draft in 20 years, Whaley is a scout god" narrative was getting stale.

Would you trade Chris Hogan away for 3 more receiving TD's this season? I would.

Who knows what Hogan would have for stats if Luck were throwing the ball!

This move was the very definition of short-sighted... B-)

The irony in all this was that the Bills cut him because he wasn't giving an effort or lazy or whatever, but the very same could be said of Marrone. The head coach's job is to get his players ready to play their best. Marrone bailed out on this responsibility. He was lazy and took the path of least resistance. He didn't want to put forth the effort to make this kid realize his potential, which is what a real professional would have done.

The irony in all this was that the Bills cut him because he wasn't giving an effort or lazy or whatever, but the very same could be said of Marrone. The head coach's job is to get his players ready to play their best. Marrone bailed out on this responsibility. He was lazy and took the path of least resistance. He didn't want to put forth the effort to make this kid realize his potential, which is what a real professional would have done.

True...Kind of reminds me of the things Parcells said about Romo early on in his career...But Parcells rode him hard...REALLY hard...And Romo turned into a pretty decent NFL QB because of it...Like we said before players with talent develop at different rates...Marrone handled this challenge like the rookie HC he is... B-)

How about waiting a few more games before pronouncing this guy a success?

It's not about pronouncing him a success...Though admittedly I imagine he will be in time...It's about keeping Hogan, or Graham, over Rogers...That's really all this is about...

Well...OK...Maybe it's about more than that...We have a HC that is currently preaching accountability...Who is accountable for the Rogers release Doug? Who exactly felt that Hogan and Graham were better players than Rogers? Again I'm leaving Easley out of this argument because he is a very good Special Teams player...and admittedly he did produce in the preseason...

Let's look at his own words again...

"He definitely has skill," Bills coach Doug Marrone said today of Rogers. "Along with DeMarco Sampson, who's played well for us in the preseason, but I think when you look at the production of that group, and who's produced for a long period of time, it's just a matter of, it's just as simple as, we feel that we have better players on the roster right now than the players that we released. I'm a big believer on the production part of it right now rather than what are we going to get down the road," the coach said. "So I think all those players that were released have the ability to play, but we feel as an organization that we just have better players right now."

Produced huh Doug? Production? OK...Prior to the 2013 campaign Stevie Johnson had three 1000 yard seasons in the NFL...He has produced...The next most experienced WR Marrone kept was TJ Graham who had a whopping 322 yards and one TD in his rookie season last year...And Graham barely played this preseason...Then there were the two rookies, Woods and Goodwin...And he rounded out the WR depth chart with Hogan and Easley who had a combined total of zero...that's right...0 yards as NFL WR's...Can somebody who is smarter than me PLEASE explain what "production" Marrone was talking about? Because for the life of me I just don't get these quotes at all... B-)

Who knows what Hogan would have for stats if Luck were throwing the ball!

I guess we will have to stick to projecting based on his stints with the 9ers, giants, dolphins, and part of 2 seasons the bills. Though over those 3 years this is the first he's spent any of weeks 2-10 on a roster (or practice squad- the last two years he's been a free agent til thanksgiving and Christmas, roughly). Maybe the breakthrough will be next year.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess we will have to stick to projecting based on his stints with the 9ers, giants, dolphins, and part of 2 seasons the bills.

^^^ This...

I still go back to the fact that Hogan was cut by the Fish who were absolutely talent deficient at WR in 2012...If any team needed WR's last year it was the Fish... B-)

I watched his touchdown. Down by 21 in the 3rd quarter, dancing into the end zone. I couldn't find his 2nd TD in garbage time, but I wonder if he danced then too?

There were plenty of folks here who felt Rogers would never catch on with an NFL team after the Bills cut him...Now he's catching TD's for the Colts...He's just a rookie...He has plenty of talent...Keep betting against him if you wish...The odds are progressively moving out of your favor... B-)

There were plenty of folks here who felt Rogers would never catch on with an NFL team after the Bills cut him...Now he's catching TD's for the Colts...He's just a rookie...He has plenty of talent...Keep betting against him if you wish...The odds are progressively moving out of your favor... B-)

This will be a good thread to revisit in the future, KOK.

1 game. 0-1 lost by 20.

Let's have da'conversation at end of year regarding this mega talent.

1 game. 0-1 lost by 20.

Let's have da'conversation at end of year regarding this mega talent.

You know...Maybe you did not mean it this way, and you were just trying to be funny...If so my apologies upfront...But I have to be honest...This is the kind of post that really irritates me...

Who is the heck is even hinting at Rogers being a mega talent?...I said he's a rookie and he has plenty of talent...That's all...That kind of ridiculous over-exaggeration (this mega talent) is what kills decent conversation and argument on this board every day and throws it into the garbage pile of smart ass comments and mudslinging...I mean...Seriously...If you have read and comprehended ANY of the past few pages you would know...

So again...This entire 20 plus page thread has nothing to do with predicting Rogers to be the next Megatron, or anything of the sort...It has everything to do with keeping Chris Hogan and TJ Graham over Rogers...Which is a legitimate conversation and debate...

If all you can come up with is 0-1? What exactly did Rogers do to help the Colts lose that game? Give me some specifics because the last time I checked he did not play on Defense...

Mega-talent? Who the fug knows? More talented than Hogan or Graham? Well...I'm pretty sure that's a possibility...Talented enough to at least help the Bills score more point? Probably so...Going to get better with time? Very likely...HUGE need (WR) in Buffalo still? Yep...Rogers Mega-star? I have no earthly idea... B-)

Will someone please make an argument that Hogan will be a better NFL player? That is the bottom line. I would love to see someone make that case.

[broken record /on]

The argument has never been about Hogan vs Rogers, because Hogan made the team, and at best Rogers would have been on the PS. Hogan was the better fit for the team's plans for this year, while Rogers was the long term project. So comparing them is not correct.

You also have to look at the timing of the cuts. Rogers didn't even make it to the final cutdowns, so you have to imagine something soured between him and the coaching staff and they didn't think that he could cut it in the league. They may turn out to be monumentally wrong on this one, but we don't know exactly what was happening in the locker room and on the practice field. Whaley may have tried a sneaky move by cutting Rogers early to scare some teams from Rogers, but I doubt it's what happened, especially how protective they were with Tuel. My guess is that they didn't think that Rogers was a good fit in Buffalo, for whatever reasons.

Yet that is all irrelevant to the decision to keep Hogan on the active roster.

[broken record /off]